ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

My brother is getting married and can't get time off!!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

My brother is getting married and can't get time off!!

Post by postiewhite »

My brother is getting married on the 4th January and because of the location (200 miles from home) I will need 2 days off but have been told by my manager that there are too many off that week and its not going to be possible, we live in Nottingham and the wedding is in Bournmouth. I'm only on a 20hr PT contract and get 2 days off anyway although I usually work full time hrs. My Manager says that he "might" be able to give me the wedding day off but to speak to him nearer the time but the day after is unlikely. That is no where near a guarantee for me. It doesnt seem to me that he is even willing to let me have them as my days off which would be better instead of booking time off. Any other path I can go through or do I just have to hope and prey I get at least just one day off which means id have to go home before the night do and accept it might not even happen for me?!
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

My brother is getting married and can't get time off!!

Post by k979aaa »

Best thing you can do after posting it on here is take it un-paid and make it up with over-time all the best.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

My brother is getting married and can't get time off!!

Post by postiewhite »

k979aaa wrote:Best thing you can do after posting it on here is take it un-paid and make it up with over-time all the best.
I didnt know I might be able to take it unpaid. Im not sure what you mean about 'best thing after posting it on here' though? :Very Happy
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

My brother is getting married and can't get time off!!

Post by Surreypostie »

postiewhite wrote:
k979aaa wrote:Best thing you can do after posting it on here is take it un-paid and make it up with over-time all the best.
I didnt know I might be able to take it unpaid. Im not sure what you mean about 'best thing after posting it on here' though? :Very Happy
What he means is, don't even consider going sick!
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

My brother is getting married and can't get time off!!

Post by postiewhite »

I wouldnt do that. Id just have to fight it
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

My brother is getting married and can't get time off!!

Post by Surreypostie »

:thumbup
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

My brother is getting married and can't get time off!!

Post by postiewhite »

SO am I allowed to take unpaid leave for two days or will that get rejected too?
Tman
Posts: 4145
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

My brother is getting married and can't get time off!!

Post by Tman »

If the manager has refused it through lack of available cover, it makes no odds whether it's paid or unpaid.
Should've quietly checked out who else was off at that time, and if too many already were, then gone sick for a few days. RM (like any other employer) doesn't have to grant leave regardless.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

My brother is getting married and can't get time off!!

Post by postiewhite »

So if I find out that someone that week has swapped their day off so they can have a saturday off (it does happen in our office) then can I point this out to my manager that I will be putting a grievence in or speak to my rep about it?
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

My brother is getting married and can't get time off!!

Post by NewPostieUK »

Go to see your manager. Express sincerely to him how it is your brothers wedding and not going isn't an option. Tell him you will doing anything to get those two days off, even if it means losing wages. Pray that he sees sense. If he doesn't, then make enquiries (maybe with your rep?) about time off family emergencies. After all, not going would be a catastrophe for the whole family, with far reaching implications such as the effect on your health with stress etc.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

My brother is getting married and can't get time off!!

Post by k979aaa »

postiewhite wrote:SO am I allowed to take unpaid leave for two days or will that get rejected too?
Cannot stop you state your reason give them a reasonable notice period ie a week or two in advance and bob's your uncle. So sorry it is a bitch to get time off in royalmail but it is not my fault the system is corrupt at best!
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

My brother is getting married and can't get time off!!

Post by Mobey »

Just thought of this. Is there anyway you can say to your union rep you can work the Monday and Tuesday as replacement days for Friday / Saturday? So that they can speak to whoever sorts your rota out?

They have staff I'm sure that are like you on a 20 hour contract Wednesday to Saturday if that is your days. But they might struggle for Monday / Tuesday. It might mean you miss out on a couple days pay but you'll probably be full time the week after.

Hope you get it sorted.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

My brother is getting married and can't get time off!!

Post by Darren Bent »

Let say you work Wed-Sat 20 hours contract and another postperson might do Monday to Thursday, so you might be able to swap with this person for that week. Assuming it is possible. Look at the rotas and work out which people work on the day and not.
postman nel
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 122
Joined: 24 Apr 2013, 15:31
Gender: Male

My brother is getting married and can't get time off!!

Post by postman nel »

I asked for a Saturday off because I was getting married and because it was at 16.00 I was refused it because I was told I would be finished well before that (pre van share) days around 9.30ish..it was by chance that I bumped in to the area manager who came to our office one day and I mentioned it to him and for him to sanction the day off :arrrghhh
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

My brother is getting married and can't get time off!!

Post by Postie45 »

dear god some RM managers make this place a total hell hole of a company to work for.