ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Scan Tracked as Local Collect?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TooManyLoops
Posts: 142
Joined: 11 Oct 2016, 19:28
Gender: Male

Scan Tracked as Local Collect?

Post by TooManyLoops »

I work in at a sub-office in a small village and we have been told to scan all Tracked we can't deliver as local collect and then take them back to the Post Office with the rest of the parcels/letters we can't get rid of

The main delivery office have NOT been told to do this and the posties I've talked to about it there look at me like I am talking Zorg

I have 20+ years service and this doesn't sound right to me, our manager is saying he's been told from "the top" to do this, the union are just saying "do it, it's their problem"

This can't be right, can it? Surely it is fraud?

For the record, I've not done it once, I keep saying I've forgot or it wouldn't let me put it down as a Local Collect (some Tracked have the option, some don't) but we are getting constant hassle over this and it is peeing me off now

I am a long time poster on here, just made this username up for this topic and if there is already a thread on this matter, I apologies and the admins can delete.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Scan Tracked as Local Collect?

Post by wannabeek »

I would do as you have done because it is not a local collect so I would not scan it as one. It looks like a dodgy way of cooking the books to me.

I'd ask for them to put that instruction in writing and only then I'll do it. I don't believe they would ever provide such proof of their naughty behaviour.
hans solo
Posts: 3285
Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
Gender: Male

Scan Tracked as Local Collect?

Post by hans solo »

its for their bonus target
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Scan Tracked as Local Collect?

Post by k979aaa »

TooManyLoops wrote:I work in at a sub-office in a small village and we have been told to scan all Tracked we can't deliver as local collect and then take them back to the Post Office with the rest of the parcels/letters we can't get rid of

The main delivery office have NOT been told to do this and the posties I've talked to about it there look at me like I am talking Zorg

I have 20+ years service and this doesn't sound right to me, our manager is saying he's been told from "the top" to do this, the union are just saying "do it, it's their problem"

This can't be right, can it? Surely it is fraud?

For the record, I've not done it once, I keep saying I've forgot or it wouldn't let me put it down as a Local Collect (some Tracked have the option, some don't) but we are getting constant hassle over this and it is peeing me off now

I am a long time poster on here, just made this username up for this topic and if there is already a thread on this matter, I apologies and the admins can delete.
What happens when the post office quite rightly charges the customer for the local collect which is un-official that you took upon yourself to do and they complain as cutomers do will this is was told to do it by you my manager wash? Did not think so i never said that you just took the easy option to finish early I never condone underhand practices which undermine our customers the manager said. Give him/her a TWO YEAR SERIOUS said the DOM think on.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Scan Tracked as Local Collect?

Post by wannabeek »

I don't think the customer is getting charged for a Local Collect. It seems likely to me that the management are hoping that the punters will just see the word 'local collect' on their email and go along and pick it up as a P739 item - the PO wont know to charge Local Collect because it isn't one - it's a P739 item so no charge.

This may all sound fine and dandy, but the managers are presumably cheating the system which is looking out for the 'Not delivered, No answer' scans. These scans directly and negatively affect the office's stats (so also the manager's bonus) but the 'Local Collect' scans don't.

it's the only explanation I can think of why they would be asking the posties to do this.
Last edited by wannabeek on 12 Oct 2016, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Scan Tracked as Local Collect?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I have had experience of this in the past. Small village 5 miles from the Delivery Office. When you finished anything that needed signing for was left at the local Post Office. They would be scanned as "Local Collect" and then signed for by the PO Staff.

All above board, common knowledge with the Management. Don't know if was originally a "Local Agreement", probably was as both the Regular posties that cover the area are local lads who never return to the Delivery Office. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)