ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Road Traffic accident.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Bob stanley
Posts: 2
Joined: 29 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Road Traffic accident.

Post by Bob stanley »

I've had this morning a collision on a minor road,it would in the normal world in my view be seen as a 50/50 collision,however in the modern world of RM where someone needs to be blamed who knows.
On return to the office the DOM mentioned that I could be removed from driving duties as this is my second collision in 20 months.
My problem is that I could not manage a full 5 hour walk because of arthritus in a ankle and according to OH I should be treated as disabled.
There is no union rep available this week because of A/L.
I also did a driver training course last August and was deemed low risk.
Does anyone know how likely a driving ban is and can anyone advise me on the way forward if the worst case sinareo should occur?
UsernameAlreadyInUse
Posts: 29
Joined: 06 Jul 2015, 00:10
Gender: Female

Road Traffic accident.

Post by UsernameAlreadyInUse »

Bob stanley wrote:I've had this morning a collision on a minor road,it would in the normal world in my view be seen as a 50/50 collision,however in the modern world of RM where someone needs to be blamed who knows.
On return to the office the DOM mentioned that I could be removed from driving duties as this is my second collision in 20 months.
My problem is that I could not manage a full 5 hour walk because of arthritus in a ankle and according to OH I should be treated as disabled.
There is no union rep available this week because of A/L.
I also did a driver training course last August and was deemed low risk.
Does anyone know how likely a driving ban is and can anyone advise me on the way forward if the worst case sinareo should occur?
Contact your area union rep.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Road Traffic accident.

Post by rehabron »

Bob stanley wrote:I've had this morning a collision on a minor road,it would in the normal world in my view be seen as a 50/50 collision,however in the modern world of RM where someone needs to be blamed who knows.
On return to the office the DOM mentioned that I could be removed from driving duties as this is my second collision in 20 months.
My problem is that I could not manage a full 5 hour walk because of arthritus in a ankle and according to OH I should be treated as disabled.
There is no union rep available this week because of A/L.
I also did a driver training course last August and was deemed low risk.
Does anyone know how likely a driving ban is and can anyone advise me on the way forward if the worst case sinareo should occur?
Not knowing the full details of your minor bump RM would have to assess on the details you provided in your accident report if there was any carelessness on your part and what percentage of the blame lies with you. The fact that this is your second collision in 20 months and also not knowing the full details of this primary accident and the decision that RM took over this accident the fact of having 2 road accidents within 20 months may disadvantage you and there are several options that are available to RM. (1) refresher driving training (2) temporarily suspend you from driving duties until an independent driving assessment has been completed (3) worst scenario is to permanently remove from driving duties dependant on the risk factor on further accidents. As you have stated that you have been previously been assessed by OH Assist for your arthritis which RM would be aware of having a copy of OH Assist report and arthritis is covered by the Equality Act then RM would have to ring fence a duty in relation to your disability. RM weighing up all the alternatives for the risk factor in you remaining driving or the availability of a ring fenced duty then they could decide by which one gives the less cost factor to the business. As suggested if union rep unavailable then contact your area rep advising the situation.
Bob stanley
Posts: 2
Joined: 29 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Road Traffic accident.

Post by Bob stanley »

Thank you for you're replies,I this morning filled out the necessary accident report with current line manger,at the end of the report he mentioned that I will be put forward for a driver assesment course in the very near future.he also said that i will be remaining on driving duties until I do the course.Sort of feel better knowing this.However it does leave me with some stress regarding the course.I passed a similar test last year and was seen as "low risk" so I shouldn't have to many problems but you never fully know.Another thing is RM have a tenendcy these days to drag things out.
Pompey Boy
Posts: 428
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 22:30
Gender: Male

Road Traffic accident.

Post by Pompey Boy »

Bob stanley wrote:I've had this morning a collision on a minor road,it would in the normal world in my view be seen as a 50/50 collision,however in the modern world of RM where someone needs to be blamed who knows.
On return to the office the DOM mentioned that I could be removed from driving duties as this is my second collision in 20 months.
My problem is that I could not manage a full 5 hour walk because of arthritus in a ankle and according to OH I should be treated as disabled.
There is no union rep available this week because of A/L.
I also did a driver training course last August and was deemed low risk.
Does anyone know how likely a driving ban is and can anyone advise me on the way forward if the worst case sinareo should occur?
At our place if you have any sort of shunt, including a minor thing like a broken door mirror, you get taken off driving until Pertemps come in to assess your driving. This usually only takes a couple of days and if you do OK you go straight back on.
How much worse can it get? A LOT F****** WORSE !!!