ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
To tell or not to tell...
-
ellzbellz
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 06 Jan 2016, 21:47
- Gender: Female
To tell or not to tell...
Hi guys,
Our DO has a new starter who's about 3 weeks in (round of applause for getting that far!). After a few complaints from other staff and customers, I worked with the new starter on a shared van route. Now, he's a nice chap but there were so many things he did wrong that I'm not sure I can work with him without getting exasperated. Basically, lots of missorts,(we share two frames), doorstepping (without leaving a card and it was raining), not driving to next loop, dithers, delivers 4 houses post to 1, and after one loop he got his bundle and walked to the next loop leaving the van running with keys in. All of these problems had an effect on my duty as I was rushing around clearing up his mess, driving the van to the next bit where he was and running back to do my loop and getting a "why'd you take so long?". I had to rush back to do 27 parcels that could've quite easily been put in pouch. he refused to take some mail out of the office because there was a dog at a certain address even though the post box is nowhere near where the dog could be. Used and left someone else's scanner behind(luckily it got handed in). Etc etc.
I do remember how hard it is starting out as a postie and I will admit I've made a few mistakes but not some of these monumental cock ups. He's been spoken to several times, had 2/3 weeks (I know, weeks!) training. He just comes across as blase and doesn't have the common sense that his work affects whomever is sharing the van/route.
But, do I tell our DOM or tell him off myself?
Sorry, for the long post!
Our DO has a new starter who's about 3 weeks in (round of applause for getting that far!). After a few complaints from other staff and customers, I worked with the new starter on a shared van route. Now, he's a nice chap but there were so many things he did wrong that I'm not sure I can work with him without getting exasperated. Basically, lots of missorts,(we share two frames), doorstepping (without leaving a card and it was raining), not driving to next loop, dithers, delivers 4 houses post to 1, and after one loop he got his bundle and walked to the next loop leaving the van running with keys in. All of these problems had an effect on my duty as I was rushing around clearing up his mess, driving the van to the next bit where he was and running back to do my loop and getting a "why'd you take so long?". I had to rush back to do 27 parcels that could've quite easily been put in pouch. he refused to take some mail out of the office because there was a dog at a certain address even though the post box is nowhere near where the dog could be. Used and left someone else's scanner behind(luckily it got handed in). Etc etc.
I do remember how hard it is starting out as a postie and I will admit I've made a few mistakes but not some of these monumental cock ups. He's been spoken to several times, had 2/3 weeks (I know, weeks!) training. He just comes across as blase and doesn't have the common sense that his work affects whomever is sharing the van/route.
But, do I tell our DOM or tell him off myself?
Sorry, for the long post!
-
Robbo318
- Posts: 64
- Joined: 20 Oct 2007, 16:37
To tell or not to tell...
Tell your DOM you refuse to work with him until he is better trained. Any faults/blame will be pointed at you, as you are senior partner and should have pointed do and donts out to him.
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
To tell or not to tell...
Having read your post this starter has already in the short period of employment committed several blatant errors that would have led to gross misconduct charges and dismissal. If this continues then you wont have to be frustrated with your partner anymore he will have been sacked. In the short period of time that you have partnered if you feel that he will listen to your concerns and respond then that would be my first approach. If you feel that your advice is being ignored then if you have faith in your union rep and can be trusted then explain your situation and leave the union rep to deal with. The new starter may have a young family that he is the only provider for and if you alerted your DOM on what you have posted they will take every opportunity to get him dismissed and you might not want this on your conscious. By having a word yourself or involving the union then if dismissal happens then you will have the reassurance that you did your utmost for this not to happen.
-
Grinder64
- Posts: 245
- Joined: 28 Oct 2009, 17:54
- Gender: Male
To tell or not to tell...
Hmmm let's see; haphazard, arrogant, obstinate and a complete lack of real-world comprehension of the nature & expectations of the job. Ideal RM management credentials... 
You do the work, they get the loot. The men with the smiles and the 3 piece suits.
-
ellzbellz
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 06 Jan 2016, 21:47
- Gender: Female
To tell or not to tell...
Thanks guys,
Other colleagues have already spoken to him as have I about his, er mistakes but he hasn't taken it on board. I am a rep for the union and I don't really want to be the cause of him being sacked :/ but if he's like it tomorrow I think I'm going to have to have a word with the DOM (just realised that could quite easily spell doom) . I don't really want to be doing his job too!
Other colleagues have already spoken to him as have I about his, er mistakes but he hasn't taken it on board. I am a rep for the union and I don't really want to be the cause of him being sacked :/ but if he's like it tomorrow I think I'm going to have to have a word with the DOM (just realised that could quite easily spell doom) . I don't really want to be doing his job too!
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
To tell or not to tell...
I would get him to work with the WPC again and emphasise the importance of mail security and integrity as well as the consequences of not following it. Then after that any repeated mistakes you'd have to go down the counselling and eventually conduct route.
Let's be honest it's not a difficult job if you don't rush and approach it with a bit common sense.
Let's be honest it's not a difficult job if you don't rush and approach it with a bit common sense.
-
ellzbellz
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 06 Jan 2016, 21:47
- Gender: Female
To tell or not to tell...
There's a few people in my office who don't have common sense.
I've already told the acting manager/second in command about the van as I had to ring him and asked for the new guys number so I'm assuming the DOM already knows :/. I hate to say it but because of that I feel I have to cover my back because of the new guy's mistake. I say guy but really he's a kid who really doesn't comprehend what position he put me in!
I've already told the acting manager/second in command about the van as I had to ring him and asked for the new guys number so I'm assuming the DOM already knows :/. I hate to say it but because of that I feel I have to cover my back because of the new guy's mistake. I say guy but really he's a kid who really doesn't comprehend what position he put me in!
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
To tell or not to tell...
these days you probably have to be careful how you tell the DOM about the guy, if you say he keeps leaving doorstep parcels day after day (plus the other stuff) the DOM may ask why youre only telling him about it now.ellzbellz wrote:Thanks guys,
Other colleagues have already spoken to him as have I about his, er mistakes but he hasn't taken it on board. I am a rep for the union and I don't really want to be the cause of him being sacked :/ but if he's like it tomorrow I think I'm going to have to have a word with the DOM (just realised that could quite easily spell doom) . I don't really want to be doing his job too!
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
To tell or not to tell...
If the new starter had a young family to support, I really doubt he would be treating the job like a joke.rehabron wrote:Having read your post this starter has already in the short period of employment committed several blatant errors that would have led to gross misconduct charges and dismissal. If this continues then you wont have to be frustrated with your partner anymore he will have been sacked. In the short period of time that you have partnered if you feel that he will listen to your concerns and respond then that would be my first approach. If you feel that your advice is being ignored then if you have faith in your union rep and can be trusted then explain your situation and leave the union rep to deal with. The new starter may have a young family that he is the only provider for and if you alerted your DOM on what you have posted they will take every opportunity to get him dismissed and you might not want this on your conscious. By having a word yourself or involving the union then if dismissal happens then you will have the reassurance that you did your utmost for this not to happen.
-
ellzbellz
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 06 Jan 2016, 21:47
- Gender: Female
To tell or not to tell...
greengiant wrote:If the new starter had a young family to support, I really doubt he would be treating the job like a joke.rehabron wrote:Having read your post this starter has already in the short period of employment committed several blatant errors that would have led to gross misconduct charges and dismissal. If this continues then you wont have to be frustrated with your partner anymore he will have been sacked. In the short period of time that you have partnered if you feel that he will listen to your concerns and respond then that would be my first approach. If you feel that your advice is being ignored then if you have faith in your union rep and can be trusted then explain your situation and leave the union rep to deal with. The new starter may have a young family that he is the only provider for and if you alerted your DOM on what you have posted they will take every opportunity to get him dismissed and you might not want this on your conscious. By having a word yourself or involving the union then if dismissal happens then you will have the reassurance that you did your utmost for this not to happen.
He doesn't. Just a normal teenager. Unlike me who's gotta rush around to get things done so I can pick up my daughter from nursery.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
To tell or not to tell...
Not sure why people want permission from us to grass someone up, if that's your thing go for it, not my thing though, I'm not perfect.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
crazyshrew
- Posts: 584
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Coastal, South West
To tell or not to tell...
personally I would be having a chat with the Dom if I was in that situation.
Someone being extremely poor at the basics is one thing, I'm sure every office has a few of those and they certainly don't/won't give a damn no matter how many times they are told.
However....
There are issues here that put your job at risk too, on a van share both partners are equally responsible for the security of the van and its contents. If IB decided to show up and they found an unattended van, engine running (therefore I assume unlocked) and no postie in sight are they going to give a damn about exactly who left it like that?
I have recently had to point blank refuse to work with someone ever again over this - I got back to the van and found he had left the rear doors wide open, and didn't give a monkeys when I told him what he'd done.
This individual is much like the one you describe - all the general uselessness I can cope with, but I WILL NOT work with someone who's actions put my job at risk.
Someone being extremely poor at the basics is one thing, I'm sure every office has a few of those and they certainly don't/won't give a damn no matter how many times they are told.
However....
There are issues here that put your job at risk too, on a van share both partners are equally responsible for the security of the van and its contents. If IB decided to show up and they found an unattended van, engine running (therefore I assume unlocked) and no postie in sight are they going to give a damn about exactly who left it like that?
I have recently had to point blank refuse to work with someone ever again over this - I got back to the van and found he had left the rear doors wide open, and didn't give a monkeys when I told him what he'd done.
This individual is much like the one you describe - all the general uselessness I can cope with, but I WILL NOT work with someone who's actions put my job at risk.
-
ellzbellz
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 06 Jan 2016, 21:47
- Gender: Female
To tell or not to tell...
Failing to see how asking for advice is misconstrued as asking permission :pfishtank wrote:Not sure why people want permission from us to grass someone up, if that's your thing go for it, not my thing though, I'm not perfect.
I don't like grassing up but this kid needs talking to as he's ignored 3 members of staff and their advice
-
ellzbellz
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 06 Jan 2016, 21:47
- Gender: Female
To tell or not to tell...
He left the van unattended yet again today causing me to be 15 minutes behind on my loop to stay with it. (Couldve walked off but wanted to save my ass) and didn't seem apologetic when I explained yet again the importance of it. You wouldn't leave your car open and running whilst you went in to do a weekly shop!crazyshrew wrote:personally I would be having a chat with the Dom if I was in that situation.
Someone being extremely poor at the basics is one thing, I'm sure every office has a few of those and they certainly don't/won't give a damn no matter how many times they are told.
However....
There are issues here that put your job at risk too, on a van share both partners are equally responsible for the security of the van and its contents. If IB decided to show up and they found an unattended van, engine running (therefore I assume unlocked) and no postie in sight are they going to give a damn about exactly who left it like that?
I have recently had to point blank refuse to work with someone ever again over this - I got back to the van and found he had left the rear doors wide open, and didn't give a monkeys when I told him what he'd done.
This individual is much like the one you describe - all the general uselessness I can cope with, but I WILL NOT work with someone who's actions put my job at risk.
Also, after several reminders, still did not do the collection boxes by 1pm. Bundled up my part of mail frame wrong even after reading the notes he was given (I saw the notes, he ignored them).
Put mail back to front so flipping through a massive bundle full of toolstation etc was not fun.
Also, several customers have complained again about getting 5 houses post in their letterbox!
I hate to say it but I told my DOM I refuse to work with him as he's ignored all the advice, including the stressed van abandonment and he needs more training!
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
To tell or not to tell...
even from someone who doesnt want to be seen as a "grass" I dont know really what other option you had than to tell the manager about this.