ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Paternity Leave
-
mucker161
- Posts: 24
- Joined: 04 May 2010, 17:02
- Gender: Male
Paternity Leave
Hi I was wondering could anyone help me as regards paternity leave. My wife and I are due our first child in January and I would like to know what I am entitled to. I've done 10 years and I'm 30hr contract. Union rep in office doesn't know what I'm allowed. I'd like to know if I'm allowed day off for a scan also.
-
crazyshrew
- Posts: 584
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Coastal, South West
Paternity Leave
https://www.gov.uk/paternity-pay-leave/overview
The absolute legal minimum you are entitled to is 2 weeks paid leave + time off for 2 antenatal appointments so you certainly should be able to attend a scan
You could also go for shared parental leave, splitting your partners 52 weeks maternity between the two of you. You could both be off for the first 6 months, or maybe she goes back to work after 6 months and you could then take 6 months to be with the baby.
You can split it any way you want but its a max of 52 week total between the two of you. You more than likely won't be entitled to full pay for any of this time off, instead receiving Statutory Shared Parental Pay (ShPP) which is the same as Statutory maternity pay - about £139 a week
this is the legal entitlements, RM may be a little more generous but they cant give you any less than that.
For time off for scans, yes you are entitled but try to give your manager a decent amount of notice.
The absolute legal minimum you are entitled to is 2 weeks paid leave + time off for 2 antenatal appointments so you certainly should be able to attend a scan
You could also go for shared parental leave, splitting your partners 52 weeks maternity between the two of you. You could both be off for the first 6 months, or maybe she goes back to work after 6 months and you could then take 6 months to be with the baby.
You can split it any way you want but its a max of 52 week total between the two of you. You more than likely won't be entitled to full pay for any of this time off, instead receiving Statutory Shared Parental Pay (ShPP) which is the same as Statutory maternity pay - about £139 a week
this is the legal entitlements, RM may be a little more generous but they cant give you any less than that.
For time off for scans, yes you are entitled but try to give your manager a decent amount of notice.
-
SpongeBobPants
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 13 Jun 2016, 14:50
- Gender: Female
Paternity Leave
RM is two weeks at full pay (if you've worked there more than a year which you obviously have).
-
gand
- Posts: 253
- Joined: 10 Aug 2011, 17:36
- Gender: Male
Paternity Leave
Does it have to be taken as soon as the baby's are born? Or can you take the 2 weeks at a time of your choosing?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Paternity Leave
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=13604" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Maternity Fact-Sheets
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... php?id=884" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Paternity Rights Fact Sheet
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... php?id=884" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Paternity Rights Fact Sheet
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
LukeyBoy
- Posts: 47
- Joined: 16 Apr 2010, 20:12
- Gender: Male
Paternity Leave
You can have upto 2 days off to attend scans as an entitlement.But if you have a half decent manager and plenty of warning discretion could be used.
-
SpongeBobPants
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 13 Jun 2016, 14:50
- Gender: Female
Paternity Leave
You get the choice so long as it is within 56 days of the baby being born. It also has to be one complete block.
-
mucker161
- Posts: 24
- Joined: 04 May 2010, 17:02
- Gender: Male
Paternity Leave
Thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated!