ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Saved up holidays paid cash...

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Anon1994
Posts: 2
Joined: 22 Jul 2016, 00:57
Gender: Male

Saved up holidays paid cash...

Post by Anon1994 »

I've been a postman for about 14 months or so now and have only had a weeks Holliday since starting I believe I have atleast a months Holliday to take, can I request this to be paid in cash rather than holidays, and if so how likely is that to happen?
weary_posty
Posts: 225
Joined: 01 Jul 2011, 15:08
Gender: Male

Saved up holidays paid cash...

Post by weary_posty »

Afraid not, it is a use it or lose it scenario. Although I believe you can carry a few days over every year.

Why anyone wouldn't want to take their annual leave is beyond me. I'm still relatively young and fit but this job is a killer at times!
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

Saved up holidays paid cash...

Post by Newbie001 »

Speaking on experience. I doubt it was a choice. Some offices are terrible at booking holidays for a new start. If I were you I would get rep on to it, if you're not careful you may well lose majority of last year's holidays.
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 5038
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
Gender: Male

Saved up holidays paid cash...

Post by baldrick »

You can't legally be paid in lieu. You can carry up to five days holidays into the next leave year, or more with your and your manager's agreement. You need to get it in writing or you might lose it.
It's in the Way Forward Agreement 2000, Section 4: Annual Leave, which is in the forum's downloads.