ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

statutory sick note from the hospital

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

statutory sick note from the hospital

Post by postiewhite »

Yesterday I was discharged from the hospital for an inguinal hernia repair and was given a 3 week statutory sick note to give to my manager which I posted this morning. He ticked that the option that he will need to assess me after this period although I was told to just get another one from my doctor. Having never been sick before when is the best time to get another note, maybe book an appointment 3 days before it ends? Also will I get basic hours pay for upto 6 months? Ive been an employee 4yrs.
Ps this form wasnt a fit note it was a ssp note. I thought these had changed?
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

statutory sick note from the hospital

Post by rehabron »

postiewhite wrote:Yesterday I was discharged from the hospital for an inguinal hernia repair and was given a 3 week statutory sick note to give to my manager which I posted this morning. He ticked that the option that he will need to assess me after this period although I was told to just get another one from my doctor. Having never been sick before when is the best time to get another note, maybe book an appointment 3 days before it ends? Also will I get basic hours pay for upto 6 months? Ive been an employee 4yrs.
Ps this form wasnt a fit note it was a ssp note. I thought these had changed?
Book your appointment with your GP at least 3 days before the ssp terminates. At your appointment with GP fully explain on how you are feeling and the nature of your work and if GP extends your absence ensure that the box on the fit note is ticked for unfit for work. On sending this note to RM they will want this verified by OH Assist so you will have to give your consent for a referral. This will then follow with a telephone analysis from OH Assist and on you explaining your circumstances and on what your GP has recommended they will hopefully agree that you remain from work as an immediate return to work on light duties is premature at present. You will receive full basic pay for the first 6 months but you should not need that amount of time before you start to commence a phased return to work. It is your choice but do not be pressurised into returning to light duties early if you feel that this will not aid your recovery.