ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Haven't received my contract yet - new guy

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Suporghy
Posts: 2
Joined: 10 May 2016, 00:51
Gender: Male

Haven't received my contract yet - new guy

Post by Suporghy »

Hi,

I got the job at my local - 30 hours p/w permanent :). Really happy about it :nana

However, my induction is tomorrow, and my first day is this tuesday. I'm still yet to receive my contract, I've chased it up and I keep getting told they're working on it and I'll receive it soon etc. Is this normal?

Also they've asked for some other forms but these require a pay number....but they cant tell me what this is yet?

I hope you can help clear this up :). I'm a little nervous but looking forward to it!

Thanks
salomon2
Posts: 103
Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
Gender: Female

Haven't received my contract yet - new guy

Post by salomon2 »

It can take a couple of weeks at least and you'll get a wage slip on Thursday with details on it. You are very lucky to get a permanent contract from the off, they usually call them temporary and it gets reviewed 6 monthly, but looks like that's changed.
Suporghy
Posts: 2
Joined: 10 May 2016, 00:51
Gender: Male

Haven't received my contract yet - new guy

Post by Suporghy »

salomon2 wrote:It can take a couple of weeks at least and you'll get a wage slip on Thursday with details on it. You are very lucky to get a permanent contract from the off, they usually call them temporary and it gets reviewed 6 monthly, but looks like that's changed.

Thing is its been a few weeks already :/. Yeah I'm not sure when my first pay date will be but I imagine i will find out tomorrow. Will i be working a week in hand? - and say paid on my second week? Yeah fingers crossed as that's how they have worded it in emails etc! Just want the contract to confirm.

Many thanks for the reply :)
camelelf
Posts: 64
Joined: 17 Oct 2015, 18:15
Gender: Male

Haven't received my contract yet - new guy

Post by camelelf »

Suporghy wrote:
salomon2 wrote:It can take a couple of weeks at least and you'll get a wage slip on Thursday with details on it. You are very lucky to get a permanent contract from the off, they usually call them temporary and it gets reviewed 6 monthly, but looks like that's changed.

Thing is its been a few weeks already :/. Yeah I'm not sure when my first pay date will be but I imagine i will find out tomorrow. Will i be working a week in hand? - and say paid on my second week? Yeah fingers crossed as that's how they have worded it in emails etc! Just want the contract to confirm.

Many thanks for the reply :)
I started in October and mine only actually arrived in February.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3725
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Haven't received my contract yet - new guy

Post by yellowbelly »

I didn't have my contract before induction either, seems to be a common issue.

Payslips normally come through the post to your residential address on Thursdays and you get paid on Fridays (weekly workers).
You might get paid this week (on Friday), your tax code might not be right to begin with but again that's normal in any job you start.

Overtime is paid the week after you've worked it.

They might be able to tell you your pay number on the induction itself. A lot of people at the induction
I went to didn't have theirs but the HR rep present was able to tell them (I was at Sheffield though where HR live).
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4109
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Haven't received my contract yet - new guy

Post by ted_e_bear »

You'll get paid for the full week the Friday after you start (wageslip will arrive in the post on Thursday) it's not a week in hand. Your wageslip will have your pay number on it. Overtime is week in hand in that you'll get it on the following weeks wage, oh also if the days you spent on your induction course were longer than your daily contracted hours then you are due overtime for them, plus I'm pretty sure you can claim traveling expenses as well at approx 45p per mile, when you get to your office find your union rep he should be able to confirm these points.
Fitznfox11
Posts: 2
Joined: 24 May 2016, 14:45
Gender: Female

Haven't received my contract yet - new guy

Post by Fitznfox11 »

I am due to start on 25/7 and haven't received contract yet!! The thing is you need payrol number to order uniform so was waiting for that??!
salomon2
Posts: 103
Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
Gender: Female

Haven't received my contract yet - new guy

Post by salomon2 »

Get used to the fact that nothing happens quickly! Some don't get uniform for months. Make sure you write down all hours that you do otherwise you won't get paid. Keep a record of everything. Good luck
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Haven't received my contract yet - new guy

Post by Darren Bent »

and make sure you ask who is the union rep in the office and someone to keep an eye on your behalf to stop management trying it on ;)
Fitznfox11
Posts: 2
Joined: 24 May 2016, 14:45
Gender: Female

Haven't received my contract yet - new guy

Post by Fitznfox11 »

Yeah totally understand the waiting thing! I applied back in April so all good! I think I will just wait till welcome day to see what everyone else has done/doing
But can't wait to crack on! Thanks for the tips re writing shifts down and seeking out Union! Any more advice would be good!