ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
cancelled holiday
-
christinec
- Posts: 19
- Joined: 23 Mar 2016, 10:38
- Gender: Female
cancelled holiday
Hi, I had requested 2 days off on holiday, giving 4 weeks notice. should have been of today and tomorrow. (they asked me to work today as overtime which I agreed)
due to a family bereavement I was off Wednesday and tried to call my line manager on Thursday night but his phone was off. I messaged him to ask what time he wanted me in today.
got a reply at 6am stating he got someone to cover my shift and he would see me tomorrow (when im supposed to be off). I replied stating I was off I had booked annual leave. he said due to lapsing I would need to work.
one of my other line managers agreed if I done a days overtime last week he would authorise the Saturday off, which he done.
now im left with 1 manager who granted my leave and 1 who says I need to work tomorrow.
what should I do about this?
due to a family bereavement I was off Wednesday and tried to call my line manager on Thursday night but his phone was off. I messaged him to ask what time he wanted me in today.
got a reply at 6am stating he got someone to cover my shift and he would see me tomorrow (when im supposed to be off). I replied stating I was off I had booked annual leave. he said due to lapsing I would need to work.
one of my other line managers agreed if I done a days overtime last week he would authorise the Saturday off, which he done.
now im left with 1 manager who granted my leave and 1 who says I need to work tomorrow.
what should I do about this?
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
cancelled holiday
Was the original holiday request in writing in anyway? or put down on the rota in anyway that you were off on annual leave?
-
christinec
- Posts: 19
- Joined: 23 Mar 2016, 10:38
- Gender: Female
cancelled holiday
yes I filled out a holiday form 4 weeks ago for the 2 days. and was asked last week if I could work both my days off (last Thursday and today) which I agreed.
then last week 1 of the the line managers approved the holiday for Saturday
I think the line manager I messaged is trying to be awkward because I was off on wednesday
then last week 1 of the the line managers approved the holiday for Saturday
I think the line manager I messaged is trying to be awkward because I was off on wednesday
-
christinec
- Posts: 19
- Joined: 23 Mar 2016, 10:38
- Gender: Female
cancelled holiday
just been told not allowed tomorrow off as there short staffed.
weekend away that's already booked has now been cancelled!!!
weekend away that's already booked has now been cancelled!!!
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
cancelled holiday
As per PM they can't cancel an official 2 days off without giving you the same notice ie 2 days. Get your rep on the phone and tell the manager to do one as he is breaking the law as regards your working rights.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Surreypostie
- Posts: 999
- Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
- Gender: Male
cancelled holiday
Something I don't understand, if you apply for leave and it is granted, goes in the book and you are given your leave sheet with your leave on it, you book up to go away and then they cancel your leave. I would be taking them to court for the cost of my lost holiday, how the hell can you have a life?
-
postman nel
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 122
- Joined: 24 Apr 2013, 15:31
- Gender: Male
cancelled holiday
When I worked at Royal Mail before IHR..I asked for a Saturday off because I was getting married and it was refused because I was getting married at 3pm and was told I would have plenty enough time to get ready after I finished my walkchristinec wrote:just been told not allowed tomorrow off as there short staffed.
weekend away that's already booked has now been cancelled!!!
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
cancelled holiday
i refuse to believe this story is true, surely even RM couldnt be this dumbpostman nel wrote:When I worked at Royal Mail before IHR..I asked for a Saturday off because I was getting married and it was refused because I was getting married at 3pm and was told I would have plenty enough time to get ready after I finished my walk :arrrghhhchristinec wrote:just been told not allowed tomorrow off as there short staffed.
weekend away that's already booked has now been cancelled!!!
-
Justanotherstar
- Posts: 351
- Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
- Gender: Male
cancelled holiday
There's only one way to find out...christinec wrote: now im left with 1 manager who granted my leave and 1 who says I need to work tomorrow.

-
postman nel
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 122
- Joined: 24 Apr 2013, 15:31
- Gender: Male
cancelled holiday
I'm afraid it's true...if it wasn't for 4 decent lads that promised to do a 1/4 each of my walk (pre van share) I would have been made to come in on that dayPostie45 wrote:i refuse to believe this story is true, surely even RM couldnt be this dumbpostman nel wrote:When I worked at Royal Mail before IHR..I asked for a Saturday off because I was getting married and it was refused because I was getting married at 3pm and was told I would have plenty enough time to get ready after I finished my walkchristinec wrote:just been told not allowed tomorrow off as there short staffed.
weekend away that's already booked has now been cancelled!!!
-
postmanplod69
- Posts: 146
- Joined: 04 Sep 2007, 21:52
- Location: at my frame
cancelled holiday
Happened at our place as well that one guy getting married on a friday was told to swop his day off when requesting the day offpostman nel wrote:I'm afraid it's true...if it wasn't for 4 decent lads that promised to do a 1/4 each of my walk (pre van share) I would have been made to come in on that dayPostie45 wrote:i refuse to believe this story is true, surely even RM couldnt be this dumbpostman nel wrote:When I worked at Royal Mail before IHR..I asked for a Saturday off because I was getting married and it was refused because I was getting married at 3pm and was told I would have plenty enough time to get ready after I finished my walkchristinec wrote:just been told not allowed tomorrow off as there short staffed.
weekend away that's already booked has now been cancelled!!!
-
christinec
- Posts: 19
- Joined: 23 Mar 2016, 10:38
- Gender: Female
cancelled holiday
It is very true. I done extra overtime to help them out and filled in my holiday sheet 4 weeks in advance for 2 days off.
my weekend away was Friday to sunday, I agreed overtime on the Friday then was going to leave for my weekend away.
then on the Friday they told me ' see you tomorrow'
turns out they never bothered to sign my holiday sheet after the line manager told me the holiday was granted
my weekend away was Friday to sunday, I agreed overtime on the Friday then was going to leave for my weekend away.
then on the Friday they told me ' see you tomorrow'
turns out they never bothered to sign my holiday sheet after the line manager told me the holiday was granted