ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Inguinal hernia, How many weeks out?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Inguinal hernia, How many weeks out?

Post by postiewhite »

Im due to have an inguinal (Groin) hernia op in a couple of weeks, I did discuss with the person on the phone what I would do about a sick note and they told me that one will be written by the nurse on my departure. I told work that Im looking at 3-4 weeks off at a guess but I was told by the health and safety guy at work not to rush back and only come back when you are 100% right.
I do know that after a week of having the op it is safe to do some very light duties at home but no real lifting til maybe a few weeks later. Im aiming for maybe 4 weeks out and then onto light duties at work or is that a bit too long to have off.

Has anyone had this op whilst working for the RM?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Inguinal hernia, How many weeks out?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... =1&t=61693" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thread from last year might have somé good info.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Inguinal hernia, How many weeks out?

Post by daveyeff »

if you can get an ''unfit'' note for 6 weeks, then TAKE 6 weeks. you don't get any medals off RM for going back early. and you will probably be put on a stage regardless.
enskied
Posts: 1877
Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
Gender: Male

Inguinal hernia, How many weeks out?

Post by enskied »

We have had two guys in ours had this..One went on for years working with hernia popping out on delivery without getting it sorted. :crazy: Both are now fixed up and good as new. One of them now since the op has become a fitness freak...Maybe a bit strong.. But Runs, cycles and swims, does triathlons fitter than he ever was.
He took about 6 to eight weeks off as I recall and was on lights for about 4 weeks... But then there are Light duties and Manegerial desperation light duties.

Have the OP and take the time you need..but from the evidence I see it works wonders.. So don't be pushed to do too much too soon. Take your Doc's advice and stick to the rehab plan..Don't let the Dom decide..Never know he may end up with a runner if you get fixed.
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Inguinal hernia, How many weeks out?

Post by CPTNemoUK »

I had the op last year i had 4 weeks off and 6 weeks light duties. But best advise is dont rush back you will do more harm than good.
baz284
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 13
Joined: 30 Oct 2009, 20:19
Gender: Male

Inguinal hernia, How many weeks out?

Post by baz284 »

I've had this a few years ago, 6 weeks off and then 4 weeks light duties.
Docket left
Posts: 8
Joined: 29 Mar 2013, 07:10
Gender: Male

Inguinal hernia, How many weeks out?

Post by Docket left »

I had this op last October , never been off sick in 15 years at Royal Mail . Doctor said I'd be back to work in 2 weeks , not a chance ! I'm physically fit but still had to take 6 weeks off . Went straight back on my duty but you'll need to take it easy for a month or 2 !
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Inguinal hernia, How many weeks out?

Post by postiewhite »

UPDATE

I had the op 10 days ago and the stitches out yesterday, the scar is fairly big and feel far from moving at any pace . My sick note is due to run out a week on Tuesday which will be 3 weeks off work so Im going to see the doctor the friday before. My boss phoned me the other day as she needs to discuss a back to work plan which will involve what I need to do for the first 6 weeks im back (ie,indoor work, delivering the odd street etc) but im unsure what the doctor will say when I see him a couple of days before my sick note ends. I don't feel as though ill be ready to return 3 weeks after the op as ive read stories on here that 6 weeks is about the norm in our job so when I see the doc will he likely sign me off for a bit longer or have me fit to work with light duties (which is my worry at this stage)?
DiamondSmiles
Posts: 498
Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:03
Gender: Male

Inguinal hernia, How many weeks out?

Post by DiamondSmiles »

Think you'll just have to explain your worries to the doc. I am sure he/she will be on your side and give you the sick certs you feel you need. Don't rush back, don't give in to RM management. Your health is more important than their bonus.