ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Can I refuse to do a rural?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Izzy
Posts: 125
Joined: 10 Jan 2008, 23:09

Can I refuse to do a rural?

Post by Izzy »

I've had a sore knee for a few months. It is fine when I walk but gets sore after about 30mins driving and after a 4-5 hour rural is agony. My own duty is in the town but as I know 3rurals I occasionally get moved. I've told my boss about the knee and asked not to do rurals. The regular duty holder on one of the rurals that I know seems to be off regularly for hospital, sick etc. Can I refuse to be moved? I am waiting for a referral to NHS physio and in meantime have been given daily exercises by online musculoskeletal team at local hospital.

Thanks
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Can I refuse to do a rural?

Post by k979aaa »

Izzy wrote:I've had a sore knee for a few months. It is fine when I walk but gets sore after about 30mins driving and after a 4-5 hour rural is agony. My own duty is in the town but as I know 3rurals I occasionally get moved. I've told my boss about the knee and asked not to do rurals. The regular duty holder on one of the rurals that I know seems to be off regularly for hospital, sick etc. Can I refuse to be moved? I am waiting for a referral to NHS physio and in meantime have been given daily exercises by online musculoskeletal team at local hospital.

Thanks
Go on the sick and see what happens light duties perhaps.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Can I refuse to do a rural?

Post by wacko74 »

Can't offer any further advice but do please keep us updated with any diagnosis... I'm genuinely curious to know what kind of condition or injury could be fine when slogging the pavements for 4-5 hours yet leaves you in agony when driving!

Hope you get it sorted.
Destiny
Posts: 200
Joined: 29 Dec 2010, 10:18
Gender: Male
Location: North

Can I refuse to do a rural?

Post by Destiny »

Dont refuse but make them fully aware (paperwork & witness) what is needed, consequences etc...Then with that take a break every 30 minutes until fully recovered. So in effect leave 1-1/2 hours of the duty for them to cover elsewhere.
crazyshrew
Posts: 584
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
Gender: Female
Location: Coastal, South West

Can I refuse to do a rural?

Post by crazyshrew »

wacko74 wrote:I'm genuinely curious to know what kind of condition or injury could be fine when slogging the pavements for 4-5 hours yet leaves you in agony when driving!
I have a diagnosis of Patellofemoral dysfunction Syndrome (also called: patellofemoral pain syndrome, patellofemoral syndrome or anterior knee pain)

Walking 4-5 hours of a nice even flat surface no problems (No way I could do a duty that consists of multiple blocks of flats, but thankfully we haven't got any of those)
But..
Just under 3 hours on an afternoon collection can leave my left knee hurting so much that when I get home I pretty much collapse and cry until the ibuprofen kicks in.

Just one example. Probably plenty more conditions that can have a similar effect
Scotland1
Posts: 180
Joined: 06 Sep 2013, 16:17
Gender: Female

Can I refuse to do a rural?

Post by Scotland1 »

Get referred to atos asap, either go off sick or ur manager can refer you
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Can I refuse to do a rural?

Post by steve1873 »

As has been said, do not refuse. Make the manager aware that you feel physically incapable of driving for such a long period of time and that it could potentially mean you abandoning duty and taking sick leave as a result of being asked to perform said duty. You will however attempt it if requested to do so. Make all of this clear with at least 1 trusted witness present, preferably your unit rep.
Izzy
Posts: 125
Joined: 10 Jan 2008, 23:09

Can I refuse to do a rural?

Post by Izzy »

Wacko I have diagnosed myself with patellar tracking dysfunction. Basically my leg is comfortable as long as it is more or less straight. Being bent at ninety degrees is agony. This makes using the clutch agony particularly as on a rural you are continually going thru the gears and pulling out from farm roads with poor visibility and hill starts.

Thanks for the responses.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Can I refuse to do a rural?

Post by rehabron »

Izzy wrote:Wacko I have diagnosed myself with patellar tracking dysfunction. Basically my leg is comfortable as long as it is more or less straight. Being bent at ninety degrees is agony. This makes using the clutch agony particularly as on a rural you are continually going thru the gears and pulling out from farm roads with poor visibility and hill starts.

Thanks for the responses.
You have diagnosed yourself with patella tracking dysfunction then get your diagnose confirmed by your doctor or ask for a referral to OH Assist ( face to face) and if this is confirmed this will place you on lighter duties or rest. OH assist will probably recommend visits to a physiotherapist to assist your condition. Never blatantly refuse until you have sufficient evidence from medical experts not a RM manager because at the bottom of your "318" in small print " as directed by your manager".