ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Injured at work

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Lefteyeluke
Posts: 4
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 16:40
Gender: Male

Injured at work

Post by Lefteyeluke »

I had a fall last Tuesday after a visit to the GP then A&E I was advised my injuries would take at least two weeks to heal.i was then called into the office weds for a "face to face" where I was told by management I could do some work for them which is strange because I couldn't do simple tasks like do my trousers up or tie my shoe laces.fast forward a week after harassing and threatening texts/calls from management the doctor signed me off for another week to rest and heal.the OH call also recommended another week to rest and heal.yet still management insist I can work even with a sick/fit note.i now have the threat of a charge for unauthorised absence and they have stopped my wages.ive kept them informed the whole time and handed the fit note in on time I believe I've followed the rules and regulations yet I face this kind of treatment.is this standard managerial practice across the country and any advice on what to do about it would be greatly received thanks
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Injured at work

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Have they actually stopped your wages? ie is it just a threat or have you not been paid?

also are you still within probation 0eriod and may not be entitled to osp anyway?

If hr is threatening you with charge of unauthorised absence ask for it in writing

The reason they are probably pushing to get you back for even just one day, is that if your absence is in excess of 7 days it becomes a reportable accident to the HSE, hence why both sets of health professionals are advising not to return but your manager is ignoring that and wanting you back
Lefteyeluke
Posts: 4
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 16:40
Gender: Male

Injured at work

Post by Lefteyeluke »

I have 10 years service and my wage slip says £0.00 even though I worked Monday and Tuesday last week
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Injured at work

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Lefteyeluke wrote:I have 10 years service and my wage slip says £0.00 even though I worked Monday and Tuesday last week

in that case call your rep and get him on the case,
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Injured at work

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Lefteyeluke wrote:I have 10 years service and my wage slip says £0.00 even though I worked Monday and Tuesday last week

They have stopped your wages so get in touch with the Area Rep soonest.

However, last week wages were paid last week, overtime from last week would be paid this week in most cases. We are not paid a week in hand.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Injured at work

Post by rehabron »

Lefteyeluke wrote:I had a fall last Tuesday after a visit to the GP then A&E I was advised my injuries would take at least two weeks to heal.i was then called into the office weds for a "face to face" where I was told by management I could do some work for them which is strange because I couldn't do simple tasks like do my trousers up or tie my shoe laces.fast forward a week after harassing and threatening texts/calls from management the doctor signed me off for another week to rest and heal.the OH call also recommended another week to rest and heal.yet still management insist I can work even with a sick/fit note.i now have the threat of a charge for unauthorised absence and they have stopped my wages.ive kept them informed the whole time and handed the fit note in on time I believe I've followed the rules and regulations yet I face this kind of treatment.is this standard managerial practice across the country and any advice on what to do about it would be greatly received thanks
Unfortunately this treatment you are experiencing seems to be increasing across the country and standard managerial practice. Firstly the GP " fit note" can be ignored by the employer and the issue is with the relevant boxes that your GP has ticked concerning your absence whether totally unfit to work or adjustment to hours or type of work to be performed. RM next port of call is to seek advice from OH Assist who is their appointed occupational health advisors for their recommendations which as in your case can also be ignored but should by returning to work further increase your injury then RM are leaving themselves wide open to personal injury claims etc. RM will take the line that as you were capable of attending a face to face meeting then you are capable of attending work so that you can be seen and not out of sight when they are paying you your full wages. You can attend your office and do absolutely NOTHING or give minimal tasks as feeding the company cat but at least you are in their sight and not enjoying yourself when absent from work. Withdrawn your wages would be also the line that HR would take and you would need to get your local/area union rep involved to have this overturned. Shocking but I bet you that before they have proceeded with the stoppage of wages they have sought advice on this matter so their backs are covered.
Lefteyeluke
Posts: 4
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 16:40
Gender: Male

Injured at work

Post by Lefteyeluke »

Thanks guys.what a great company this is.im feeling less than 1st class
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Injured at work

Post by rehabron »

Further to my posting just a thought if your fall means that your natural walking pace is restricted by your injury then the question arises on your ability to vacate the building in an emergency fire drill or an actual fire. May be worthwhile to contact your H&S rep to have this investigated.
enskied
Posts: 1877
Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
Gender: Male

Injured at work

Post by enskied »

rehabron wrote:Further to my posting just a thought if your fall means that your natural walking pace is restricted by your injury then the question arises on your ability to vacate the building in an emergency fire drill or an actual fire. May be worthwhile to contact your H&S rep to have this investigated.
Like it Rehab :dance

They tried making me go in last time, I just refused. Then they insisted I maintained contact every morning at 06:45 am every morning. I refused. I was home to rest and recover. Not to add further injury to my back. They have no qualification to assess you fitness, once you turn up they always find you fit enough to work. They don't give a shifr. Not one home visit... Yet I know he wasn't busy, because HE was HOME before 12:00 every day.
Lefteyeluke
Posts: 4
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 16:40
Gender: Male

Injured at work

Post by Lefteyeluke »

Glad to see I'm not the only one