ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
advice needed plz....
-
lonpost
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 30 May 2016, 11:28
- Gender: Male
advice needed plz....
So I'm on a 22 hr contract for last few yrs..but I've been made up each wk depending on which duty I'm covering usually 30-39 hrs...suddenly this last week a few of us have been told we are been moved onto later start times instead of 7 am it's gonna be between 8 - 9 am depending on duty we're given, making this quite a significant drop in hrs/money.....suppose they can just do this then? As I'm on 22 hrs. ..then we get told middle of wk to come in at 7 as the nx day forecast is busy....talk about been messed around...but also some full timers are asked to work their day off which seems wrong when we're losing hrs
-
mjt120
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 53
- Joined: 26 Oct 2015, 18:49
- Gender: Male
advice needed plz....
We've had this happen at our place as well, part timers asked to start at their official start time. I think it's to save hours or seems to be. They are getting full timers to double prep rounds to save part timers coming in early, which is fine as long as you gave plenty of full timers which we now don't as when full timers leave they get replaced with part timers on 20hr contracts..
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
advice needed plz....
a 22 hr contract is what it says - a 22 hr contract, they only have to fulfill paying you those hours. So yes they can drop your hours down to this level whenever they want to. As for asking you to come in later, well you could argue that its too short notice if they want you to do that for the following day. But it sounds like you need the hours so wont argue that.
You are not "losing hours" if youre getting your 22 hours, they can offer overtime to fulltimers first if they choose, they dont have to automatically offer it to you as you are on a shorter contract. That being said they should attempt to balance the overtime hours between people who want to do it. So if a FT is being offered 8 hours to come in on day off, they shouldnt be considered for more OT before its been offered to you.
You are not "losing hours" if youre getting your 22 hours, they can offer overtime to fulltimers first if they choose, they dont have to automatically offer it to you as you are on a shorter contract. That being said they should attempt to balance the overtime hours between people who want to do it. So if a FT is being offered 8 hours to come in on day off, they shouldnt be considered for more OT before its been offered to you.
-
salomon2
- Posts: 103
- Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
- Gender: Female
advice needed plz....
Sounds much the same as me, I'm on a 25 hr contract and some weeks that's what I do but usually it's anything between 25 and 50 depending on who's off. I offered to do sa to bump my hours up if short and also offered to learn a few rural rounds to cover when short. Works for me, I get a few full days mixed with my usual 5 hr round. I made myself available to cover when they were short, ended up going blind on a few rounds but it's paid off as now I know quite a few of the lapsed bits as well so whenever it's busy and all the full timers refuse to take extra I do it on overtime if I want it.