You carried more and had some company
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Why are they bringing cycles into delivery - the old way was the best
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Why are they bringing cycles into delivery - the old way was the best
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
CAMPINGBLUNDERER
- Posts: 182
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 14:37
- Gender: Male
Why are they bringing cycles into delivery - the old way was the best
Round here that's part of the new methods revision :)
A lot of the Public footpaths across the fields were originally Postie only paths so you could deliver to the farms.
It's also why the boundary of rural Postcode normally is denoted by a river.
A lot of the Public footpaths across the fields were originally Postie only paths so you could deliver to the farms.
It's also why the boundary of rural Postcode normally is denoted by a river.
-
Shaders
- Posts: 218
- Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
- Gender: Male
- Location: Oop North
Why are they bringing cycles into delivery - the old way was the best
They've got thousands of donkey's delivering the mail nowadays
-
Glenno
- Posts: 1491
- Joined: 05 Jun 2007, 13:12
Why are they bringing cycles into delivery - the old way was the best
On a more serious note, is there any D/O's out there that still use BIKES? even if it is for reasonable adjustment etc
Cheers Glenno

Cheers Glenno
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Why are they bringing cycles into delivery - the old way was the best
Was told by our Area Rep that we could have kept some of our Bikes "where Appropriate"!. Unfortunately he wasn't the Rep at the time, and now we've got rid of them all!
I believe Management just couldn't be arsed with keeping on top of the maintenance....... we were always moaning at the DOM about the state of the Bikes. Now, with vehicles, he can just blame the workshop. 
I was thinking of pushing to get a bike re-instated on one duty in particular.........But I've got enough on my plate at present and it'd probably be pissing in the wind anyway!
Perhaps a battle for the CWU to fight in the future? Especially with the increasing number of "Walking" related long term injuries. How long before Walking becomes a H&S issue? Oh I forget it's just something that the majority of it's members want, and would really benefit from. It's probably not a sexy enough subject to bother about! 
I was thinking of pushing to get a bike re-instated on one duty in particular.........But I've got enough on my plate at present and it'd probably be pissing in the wind anyway!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
Why are they bringing cycles into delivery - the old way was the best
I didn't start this job until the bikes in my office were long gone (though there are a few still rusting away in the shed), but nowadays with heavier workloads and more parcels especially, I really don't see how anyone can argue the efficiency of bikes over HCTs, LWTs and vanshares? I agree that currently we're all gonna end up knackered before our time as a result of all this walking, but I don't think that bringing back the normal pushbikes is the answer. Someone (POSTMAN I think?) had a thread recently with seemingly canned prospective mail delivery methods, including a moped thing and a tricycle thing, something like that would be good idea I think...but of course if it makes sense it won't happen 
-
Glenno
- Posts: 1491
- Joined: 05 Jun 2007, 13:12
Why are they bringing cycles into delivery - the old way was the best
The fight is on in our Area, we managed to keep a few bikes post revision 4-5 yrs back, that's why I was asking if others did the same, the reasons you have mentioned above do not justify the total removal of bikes, but i hear where you are coming from, been at stage 3 now for nearly 2 yrs and has all just started again, bring it on that's what I sayDorset Plodder wrote:Was told by our Area Rep that we could have kept some of our Bikes "where Appropriate"!. Unfortunately he wasn't the Rep at the time, and now we've got rid of them all!I believe Management just couldn't be arsed with keeping on top of the maintenance....... we were always moaning at the DOM about the state of the Bikes. Now, with vehicles, he can just blame the workshop.
I was thinking of pushing to get a bike re-instated on one duty in particular.........But I've got enough on my plate at present and it'd probably be pissing in the wind anyway!Perhaps a battle for the CWU to fight in the future? Especially with the increasing number of "Walking" related long term injuries. How long before Walking becomes a H&S issue? Oh I forget it's just something that the majority of it's members want, and would really benefit from. It's probably not a sexy enough subject to bother about!
-
Red_van_man_
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 17 Mar 2016, 19:58
- Gender: Male
Why are they bringing cycles into delivery - the old way was the best
I'm sure I saw bikes down gorleston way last year ?
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Why are they bringing cycles into delivery - the old way was the best
There are occasions where it may "Be Appropriate". Example: Rural Duty with a large villages. Postie has the capability to deliver Large Packets ...in the van..... and can complete those bloody long driveways with the mail on a bike. (Which is in the back of the van)
When the removal of bikes was first mentioned we pointed out that the Duties would take much longer if we had to walk everywhere with a LWT or HCT. We were told Royal Mail knew this and accepted that more time would be required but that was the cost they were willing to pay for H&S. What a load of BS!
Basically they just took our bikes gave us vans and didn't properly adjust duties! Hence Posties are struggling. 
I HATE THOSE BLOODY LONG DRIVEWAYS!
We're now averaging about 8-10 miles of walking a day....which is pretty good for Van Duties!
When the removal of bikes was first mentioned we pointed out that the Duties would take much longer if we had to walk everywhere with a LWT or HCT. We were told Royal Mail knew this and accepted that more time would be required but that was the cost they were willing to pay for H&S. What a load of BS!
I HATE THOSE BLOODY LONG DRIVEWAYS!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)