ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Part time duty

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Part time duty

Post by Chewster »

I've mentioned before on this site that the duty I'm normally on has been made part time. Everything is supposed to be prepped when I come in, and I'm just supposed to bundle up and go. However, quite often it is NOT all prepped when I get in. Would I be entitled to just take what is ready and leave the rest? I'm not one to cut off or anything like that usually, but it's really starting to get on my tits
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Part time duty

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Chewster wrote: Would I be entitled to just take what is ready and leave the rest?
:shock: :shock: No.

If it's not ready tell the manager and put it in their court. Also, it will help if occasionally you need to be somewhere straight after work. It will get the message across that they can't take you for granted,
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Destiny
Posts: 200
Joined: 29 Dec 2010, 10:18
Gender: Male
Location: North

Part time duty

Post by Destiny »

Few of ours say they will continue prep as their absorb, that gets them flustered :dance
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Part time duty

Post by Chewster »

I tell the manager every time and he says "oh it'll be done tomorrow don't worry" but it very rarely is.

It's a staffing problem really. The person who usually does the double prep always has it all done and ready to go long before I get in, but with them on holiday someone who I don't think really knows the duty is left to do it. Logic, to me at least, would dictate that the duty should be put back to full time while they don't have anyone to effectively double prep. It gets lapsed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, so I hope that someone pulls their finger out (probably gonna have to be me lets face it lol) and gets it prepped on time, otherwise people will just leave their lapsing rather than hang around and wait.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Part time duty

Post by NewPostieUK »

I had the same problem. At one point I was telling the line manager that it wasn't done and I'd have to leave the office late and hence cut off, and he'd come and stand shoulder to shoulder and help me prep. Obviously this was no good, not least because he can't read. So.. I started going in early. Wait for it!

I like to chill out, prepare myself and maybe have a cup of coffee before I start on time. So,15 or 20 minutes before my start time I'd go see the manager and say look, I'm due to leave office in 50 minutes and there's still loads to do. Do you want me to do it and leave some behind, or are you going to get someone to do it?

At my start time, it would be done - great, or not done - cut off and/or leave lapsing.

Just make it clear you aren't going to work 30-60 minutes overtime every day and he has a problem.