ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
anyone here go to the gym?
-
inabizzel
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 19 Jan 2016, 16:30
- Gender: Male
anyone here go to the gym?
I train weights for about 1 hour 30 minutes everyday and am worried I will have to stop due to not having enough energy. Are any of you more experience posties gym-goers an if so, how do you have enough energy?
I'm thinking about basically saying no to any overtime to ensure I stick to my contracted hours, but I'm worried they will sack me!
I'm thinking about basically saying no to any overtime to ensure I stick to my contracted hours, but I'm worried they will sack me!
-
Tank
- Posts: 206
- Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 12:15
- Gender: Male
Re: anyone here go to the gym?
I train weights about an hour 4-5 times a week. In works time of course!
they can't sack you for working your hours so don't worry about that! It's your choice not the management. Energy wise I'm ok at work and the gym but feel tired late on if that helps!
-
Dazsw
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 28
- Joined: 17 Feb 2013, 17:36
- Gender: Male
Re: anyone here go to the gym?
I usually go 3-4 times a week.
I used to train 6 days, but since joining RM 4 years ago I've had to cut that down.
Eating the right types of food at the correct times makes a difference, as does a little caffeine.
I try and make sure I train on days that are historically easier, like Tuesdays and Saturdays.
In the summer I will train before I go to work, but can't be bothered with that at winter time.
I used to train 6 days, but since joining RM 4 years ago I've had to cut that down.
Eating the right types of food at the correct times makes a difference, as does a little caffeine.
I try and make sure I train on days that are historically easier, like Tuesdays and Saturdays.
In the summer I will train before I go to work, but can't be bothered with that at winter time.
-
inabizzel
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 19 Jan 2016, 16:30
- Gender: Male
Re: anyone here go to the gym?
I'm thinking about packing in the RM job before I've started haha. Can't be doing with skipping days due to being tired. I come from an office background and that fit in nicely around bodybuilding. I think I'll give going in the mornings a try and will be stubborn about overtime. Not sure how all that works though. I'll be sure to sign up to the union on my first shift!Dazsw wrote:I usually go 3-4 times a week.
I used to train 6 days, but since joining RM 4 years ago I've had to cut that down.
Eating the right types of food at the correct times makes a difference, as does a little caffeine.
I try and make sure I train on days that are historically easier, like Tuesdays and Saturdays.
In the summer I will train before I go to work, but can't be bothered with that at winter time.
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Re: anyone here go to the gym?
I think you can do Monday, Tuesday, Saturday and Friday or Thursday (Depends on how light/heavy is it) as it should be fine for 4 times a week.
I used to do gym in my first two years of the job, but stop now as I got shoulder injury but now I do dancing instead and walking my English Springer Spaniel on Sundays as I don't have energy or time for Gym anymore.
I used to do gym in my first two years of the job, but stop now as I got shoulder injury but now I do dancing instead and walking my English Springer Spaniel on Sundays as I don't have energy or time for Gym anymore.
-
inabizzel
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 19 Jan 2016, 16:30
- Gender: Male
Re: anyone here go to the gym?
Cool. It's reassuring to hear that people manage to stay active outside of work!Darren Bent wrote:I think you can do Monday, Tuesday, Saturday and Friday or Thursday (Depends on how light/heavy is it) as it should be fine for 4 times a week.
I used to do gym in my first two years of the job, but stop now as I got shoulder injury but now I do dancing instead and walking my English Springer Spaniel on Sundays as I don't have energy or time for Gym anymore.
-
steve1812
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 13 Aug 2009, 18:25
- Gender: Male
Re: anyone here go to the gym?
Hello to all you gym goers I go to the gym three times a week in the evenings and at 53 find it hard going can I ask what your ages are if that's ok and how to you get over your feet and knee pain .I take strong painkillers when my feet really play me up cheers.
-
Robtor
- Posts: 104
- Joined: 11 Nov 2010, 11:25
- Gender: Male
Re: anyone here go to the gym?
It sounds like you haven't started as a postie yet, to be honest don't worry about it. Maybe at first you'll find it tiring, but you'll get over it. I'm a full on 5-6 times a week, anywhere from 1-3hrs a time gym goer, who works full time, and I regularly do an extra 20hrs+ overtime a week. 60hrs postie, 12hrs gym.
Now admittedly I do live on loads of pre workouts and caffeine pills, but, that's more because I only sleep from midnight until 6am, more than the physical exertion side of things. You'll also find all that walking means you can eat a bit naughtily and not add to the waistline (a god send!!).
Age wise, I am early 30's.
Now admittedly I do live on loads of pre workouts and caffeine pills, but, that's more because I only sleep from midnight until 6am, more than the physical exertion side of things. You'll also find all that walking means you can eat a bit naughtily and not add to the waistline (a god send!!).
Age wise, I am early 30's.
-
Justanotherstar
- Posts: 351
- Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
- Gender: Male
Re: anyone here go to the gym?
I usually go 5/6 times a week, sometimes have a rest day on Wednesdays when it's really heavy, word of advice, do legs on Saturday so you have a day to recover, don't know about anyone else but I can barely stand up the day after legs 
-
feduppostie
- Posts: 947
- Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46
Re: anyone here go to the gym?
tried it once but turns out I am allergic
If you don't believe me I did all the stuff started sweating, was short of breath, came out in a flush and started shaking
If that's not an allergic reaction I don't know what is
If you don't believe me I did all the stuff started sweating, was short of breath, came out in a flush and started shaking
If that's not an allergic reaction I don't know what is
-
Tank
- Posts: 206
- Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 12:15
- Gender: Male
Re: anyone here go to the gym?
I usually do legs Saturday also, but still hurting Monday some days.Justanotherstar wrote:I usually go 5/6 times a week, sometimes have a rest day on Wednesdays when it's really heavy, word of advice, do legs on Saturday so you have a day to recover, don't know about anyone else but I can barely stand up the day after legs
-
madmax1
- Posts: 72
- Joined: 01 Sep 2015, 14:39
- Gender: Male
Re: anyone here go to the gym?
.
Last edited by madmax1 on 21 Dec 2016, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Re: anyone here go to the gym?
Ditto what others have said. I used to be a real fitness active guy, thought this job would be a doddle and still have time and energy for my usual pre-postie workouts. WRONG! At least for the first several weeks until the body adjusts to the different muscles being used so extensively.
I now still keep a similar fitness regime to the old days, but don't pay for any gym membership anymore. I hike, run, swim etc and sometimes do a load of OT when I feel like it so it pays for the pool membership, and plenty more besides.
I'd recommend giving the gym a rest for at least a couple of months after you start - I was surprised by how physically draining the job is to start with.
Having said that, having an above-average level of fitness and stamina now makes the job far less of a struggle than many others find it, so picking up a bit of OT at the end of the day isn't as challenging as it would be to some.
I now still keep a similar fitness regime to the old days, but don't pay for any gym membership anymore. I hike, run, swim etc and sometimes do a load of OT when I feel like it so it pays for the pool membership, and plenty more besides.
I'd recommend giving the gym a rest for at least a couple of months after you start - I was surprised by how physically draining the job is to start with.
Having said that, having an above-average level of fitness and stamina now makes the job far less of a struggle than many others find it, so picking up a bit of OT at the end of the day isn't as challenging as it would be to some.
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Re: anyone here go to the gym?
Used to go 2-3x per week, and despite drinking loads of protein shakes and eating like a horse, I never made any progress with bulking up. After walking 8 miles per day on the rounds, i think all those extra calories that i was taking in were being used up on the walking. I could be wrong though, maybe I just didn't have the right body type.
-
mancpat
- Posts: 85
- Joined: 09 Feb 2010, 12:36
- Gender: Male
Re: anyone here go to the gym?
I go most days. It is easy to work around. I'd imagine it's much easier than an office job where you work till 5.
I do my job then go home and lie on the couch for an hour with my feet up to get the blood out of them. Then head off to the gym in the evening. Not a problem. Even on hard days and over xmas when I tend to work later.
The key is eating right and having food ready if you want to be successful in doing that though. If you go home and have something like chicken rice and veg all prepped to eat you're more likely to eat that and feel good to go gym later. As opposed to coming home and heading straight for the toaster and frying pan.
I do my job then go home and lie on the couch for an hour with my feet up to get the blood out of them. Then head off to the gym in the evening. Not a problem. Even on hard days and over xmas when I tend to work later.
The key is eating right and having food ready if you want to be successful in doing that though. If you go home and have something like chicken rice and veg all prepped to eat you're more likely to eat that and feel good to go gym later. As opposed to coming home and heading straight for the toaster and frying pan.