I've been working for RM since October & from day 1 I've been working at a different DO to the one I'm contracted to. This other DO is 8 miles further away for me from the original DO & I was told that I can claim 16 miles (2 x 8 miles) a day travelling cost.
Is this correct & how would I go about claiming this?
Also, I've done a few days cover at a DO closer to where I live - can I still claim mileage back for this from my contracted DO?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Claiming Mileage For Working at a Different DO
-
devonshire_lass
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 15 Oct 2015, 15:35
- Gender: Female
- Location: South West
-
ScousePostie
- Posts: 273
- Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Claiming Mileage For Working at a Different DO
As far as I understand you're supposed to give mileage information to your manager and they reimburse through wages. I personally only found out that we could claim mileage back when sent to another office the last time I was sent to one back in June last year.
-
CAMPINGBLUNDERER
- Posts: 182
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 14:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Claiming Mileage For Working at a Different DO
You claim the distance from your DO to the one your covering in , so yes if it's an extra 8 miles away claim 16 miles a day.
-
jimmynailsalive
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 305
- Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Claiming Mileage For Working at a Different DO
Just to keep you straight on Motor Insurance cover.
You have Social, Domestic & Pleasure
This is mainly for retired folk and anybody who won't use their car for work.
Social, Domestic , Pleasure and Commuting
As above but only covers you to and from one place of work
Standard business use
Required if you travel to more than one place of work.
If you are traveling to another office and have a serious enough accident that the insurance company has to investigate, they could find out you are traveling between offices and refuse to deal with your claim because you have no business cover.
You have Social, Domestic & Pleasure
This is mainly for retired folk and anybody who won't use their car for work.
Social, Domestic , Pleasure and Commuting
As above but only covers you to and from one place of work
Standard business use
Required if you travel to more than one place of work.
If you are traveling to another office and have a serious enough accident that the insurance company has to investigate, they could find out you are traveling between offices and refuse to deal with your claim because you have no business cover.
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Re: Claiming Mileage For Working at a Different DO
It is a good idea to research the business use cover. Explain to them (your insurer) that it is for commuting to a different place of work for the same company and that your vehicle will not be used during work hours. From my experience, it's very likely that your insurance company will only raise your payment by a tiny amount for this. For me this extra cost was covered almost as soon as I first used it - and I use it a lot now, cover many offices and always claim mileage from my base office, no matter where I drive from.
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3724
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Re: Claiming Mileage For Working at a Different DO
Didn't charge me anything for changing to business usewannabeek wrote:It is a good idea to research the business use cover. Explain to them (your insurer) that it is for commuting to a different place of work for the same company and that your vehicle will not be used during work hours. From my experience, it's very likely that your insurance company will only raise your payment by a tiny amount for this. For me this extra cost was covered almost as soon as I first used it - and I use it a lot now, cover many offices and always claim mileage from my base office, no matter where I drive from.
-
jimmynailsalive
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 305
- Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Claiming Mileage For Working at a Different DO
I told them to get me a taxi everywhere, as it was more hassle trying to park and get the money off them, by the time the taxi came and returned me back to base, only left half a day for delivering, resultyellowbelly wrote:Didn't charge me anything for changing to business usewannabeek wrote:It is a good idea to research the business use cover. Explain to them (your insurer) that it is for commuting to a different place of work for the same company and that your vehicle will not be used during work hours. From my experience, it's very likely that your insurance company will only raise your payment by a tiny amount for this. For me this extra cost was covered almost as soon as I first used it - and I use it a lot now, cover many offices and always claim mileage from my base office, no matter where I drive from.
One office was £100 return to do half a walk, mental.