ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

new reserve..

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
chillout1571
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 82
Joined: 19 Aug 2015, 18:25
Gender: Male

new reserve..

Post by chillout1571 »

Hello,
I have been fortunate enough to start at the royal mail and have had a set round for 5 months.
I have been informed I will become a reserve from next week. Do I literally do a new round everyday? When I was offered the job, it said I will have set days off. I'm pretty passionate about keeping them, tbh, it's a make or break situation. Will this be an issue? It's been fine up to now. No problems, just a little anxious about the situation.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: new reserve..

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Its possible that you will do a new round every day. Some enjoy some don't.

However, fixed days off are not guaranteed unless its written into your contract. The working 5 days over 6 means that the majority of reserves will get random days off.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: new reserve..

Post by wannabeek »

Yeah, don't know how your office is structured but a reserve with having set or even rotating days off sounds really rare to me, certainly never known it in any office I've worked.

I like the variety of doing a different round each day, the first few weeks on the job plodding the same streets I found a bit boring to be honest. Not knowing what your day off next week until Fri or Sat does suck, but that is what the job entails for the vast majority of us reserves (there may be some exceptions for reserves somewhere in the land, you may be lucky...).
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Re: new reserve..

Post by Creditshampoo »

If I was you I would have a word but don't get aggy....they can easily get rid of you until you're permanent
jimmynailsalive
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 305
Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
Gender: Male

Re: new reserve..

Post by jimmynailsalive »

I had a set round then jumped between two duties and couldn't complain.

I was then used as a reserve in our D.O. that was split with 4 separate areas and sent as far as 30 miles in a taxi to other offices.

Eventually it becomes obvious that you are covering the worst duties in each office and the chances of a Saturday off recede each month. I managed to secure a Saturday off in October and unfortunately I had a funeral that week and they said the only option was to swap my Saturday for it or so the lino said and he blames the decision on the DOM. Updated my CV that night and had a decent enough job within a month and all I can say in thank !*\! for that.

I get the feeling plenty on here don't understand the difference between working in a small to medium sized D.O. to one of the massive ones that has amalgamated all local ones under the same roof, nightmare!

Best of luck and hopefully you have a decent D.O. and a good union rep :thumbup
chillout1571
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 82
Joined: 19 Aug 2015, 18:25
Gender: Male

Re: new reserve..

Post by chillout1571 »

Thank you for the feedback. I've been mad permanent, so thankfully I'm not too worried about that. I'm going to see what they say as the only reason I took the job was for the set days off and part time hours. I'll give it a go, see if I mind the swapping. I can't say it sounds very appealing. They advertised set days off when I applied, I've found the hours and days off situation very misleading.
jimmynailsalive
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 305
Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
Gender: Male

Re: new reserve..

Post by jimmynailsalive »

chillout1571 wrote:Thank you for the feedback. I've been mad permanent, so thankfully I'm not too worried about that. I'm going to see what they say as the only reason I took the job was for the set days off and part time hours. I'll give it a go, see if I mind the swapping. I can't say it sounds very appealing. They advertised set days off when I applied, I've found the hours and days off situation very misleading.
I was 2 years in the job, started in small D.O. was great, 4 day week, I had the keys locking the place up during Christmas and New year as happy to work on and finish what was required, about 25 employed in the whole place, first year I had said I had holidays booked end of June and got them no bother, 2nd summer I got holiday sheet and got 2 weeks in July, went to this super mega office in the City and they done everything to prevent me getting those 2 weeks and eventually I needed time off for my mate's stag doo and wedding and done a deal to give my summer holiday up as only way I was getting to my mate's wedding. Few months ago I got passed the holiday sheet and every school holiday was taken and I should add the 2 weeks in July that they fought to take off me this year, they sent me all over the place and just used me as cover.

After reading all the crap in the Courier about someone doing first time delivery for a full year, I'd like to do a write up here on what it's like to be a reserve punted on to 5 hour duties where all the holders are off on long term sick and the only time I chap a neighbour is if the door is close enough whilst I write out a 739.

and for the record I never missed one minute attendance wise.

Would that be acceptable TBT if I send you a draft first? :Very Happy
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: new reserve..

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Yes that would be fine, to be honest you don't need my permission, just follow the rules and leave names out and it should be fine.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
P739
Posts: 277
Joined: 20 Sep 2007, 13:48

Re: new reserve..

Post by P739 »

no luck mate
Last edited by P739 on 31 Dec 2015, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.
P739
Posts: 277
Joined: 20 Sep 2007, 13:48

Re: new reserve..

Post by P739 »

chillout1571 wrote:Hello,
I have been fortunate enough to start at the royal mail and have had a set round for 5 months.
I have been informed I will become a reserve from next week. Do I literally do a new round everyday? When I was offered the job, it said I will have set days off. I'm pretty passionate about keeping them, tbh, it's a make or break situation. Will this be an issue? It's been fine up to now. No problems, just a little anxious about the situation.
That bit cracks me up lol 15 years in the job and still no set day off Good luck mate cause your going to need it
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: new reserve..

Post by bustedflush »

chillout1571 wrote:Hello,
I have been fortunate enough to start at the royal mail and have had a set round for 5 months.
I have been informed I will become a reserve from next week. Do I literally do a new round everyday? When I was offered the job, it said I will have set days off. I'm pretty passionate about keeping them, tbh, it's a make or break situation. Will this be an issue? It's been fine up to now. No problems, just a little anxious about the situation.
Any chance of going on to the Wally week so you get a guaranteed Sat off each 6 weeks?
RetroJunkie
Posts: 165
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 16:06
Gender: Female

Re: new reserve..

Post by RetroJunkie »

chillout1571 wrote:Hello,
I have been fortunate enough to start at the royal mail and have had a set round for 5 months.
I have been informed I will become a reserve from next week. Do I literally do a new round everyday? When I was offered the job, it said I will have set days off. I'm pretty passionate about keeping them, tbh, it's a make or break situation. Will this be an issue? It's been fine up to now. No problems, just a little anxious about the situation.
not something u hear everyday :left:
chillout1571
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 82
Joined: 19 Aug 2015, 18:25
Gender: Male

Re: new reserve..

Post by chillout1571 »

Haha, well we will see how it goes. Tbh, I don't want any stress. So Ill way up my options is things turn sour. It's meant to be a part time stress free job for me. just wanted something set and short days.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: new reserve..

Post by Postie45 »

seems like youve been misled about permanent days off, however all the people you work with had to go thru the reserve part of the job pretty much, shoved from here to there, its just what you have to do for the first year or so (unless you sign for what probably will be a crap walk)
maybe you can get something sorted though, good luck
P739
Posts: 277
Joined: 20 Sep 2007, 13:48

Re: new reserve..

Post by P739 »

Postie45 wrote:seems like youve been misled about permanent days off, however all the people you work with had to go thru the reserve part of the job pretty much, shoved from here to there, its just what you have to do for the first year or so (unless you sign for what probably will be a crap walk)
maybe you can get something sorted though, good luck
Geeze oh pal wish I worked in your office like I said 15 years at it and still getting shafted