I have now completed my first three weeks with royal mail. The first week I was put with the fastest guy in the office on a round which was close to my house without having any real training. It didn't go great but it wasn't exactly a hard week as I knew the area very well. Second week was on a different route but still one close to where I live although I had to claim 3 1/2 hours OT that week and I made mistakes. Third week was back on the first walk I did and I managed to step up my walking speed and I finished 20-40 minutes early every day bar Thursday. But my partner took the majority of packets and parcels and delivered them in the van.
In these three weeks I never had the opportunity for a break as my partners never seemed to, and I don't think I've even seen a LWT yet or do you not usually use them? If we'd taken our breaks and didn't leave 10-20 minutes early then I still would have gone over. Both these walks were 7-8 miles according to my Google Fit app.
I'm now being moved to a walk in an area that I'd never even heard of with a guy who I've been warned will pile a majority of the work on me. I knew I'd be messed about a lot and I am fine with that as I'm sure I'll get to know a lot of the walks. But I'd be lying if I wasn't anxious about not being able to complete a walk on time and how that will affect me and also the office on how they'll view me as an employee.
I guess I'm just looking for peoples experiences as a new part timer and any tips they have to cope with it. Do new starters in your office struggle to finish on time?
Do you sometimes have days where you go over?
Also, I was asked to work my day off in my first week. I agreed and was told that as I have been asked to work it, a manager would add it as overtime without me doing it as it was different to not finishing a walk on time and going over. Well, I'm sure you can guess what happened when I received my wage slip the week after, it hadn't been added. I spoke to him on the saturday that week and was told saturday was a bad day to speak to him and to see him on monday. Guess what, he had a weeks leave last week.
Should you have to keep chasing up overtime when you've been asked to work it?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Fourth week at Royal Mail - Worried about completing on time
-
camelelf
- Posts: 64
- Joined: 17 Oct 2015, 18:15
- Gender: Male
-
Dazsw
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 28
- Joined: 17 Feb 2013, 17:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Fourth week at Royal Mail - Worried about completing on
That's not normal mate, treated nadly I would say.
I've just trained up a few people in my office, they will be on the duties they got trained on for a couple of months, then will become normal reserves and move about.
What's happened to you is not good for you or other people you are working with, you are supposed to get time on a duty to build up your confidence/speed/skills then when you start moving about things will be much easier.
Hope it gets sorted.
I've just trained up a few people in my office, they will be on the duties they got trained on for a couple of months, then will become normal reserves and move about.
What's happened to you is not good for you or other people you are working with, you are supposed to get time on a duty to build up your confidence/speed/skills then when you start moving about things will be much easier.
Hope it gets sorted.
-
eggraidonmojo
- Posts: 120
- Joined: 06 Nov 2012, 16:44
- Gender: Male
Re: Fourth week at Royal Mail - Worried about completing on
Hi,
I'll attempt to answer your questions!
First, with the overtime. In our office overtime is signed by the postman doing the work (you have to write in your pay number, your name, and the overtime you worked on that day - be it ten minutes if you went over, or 8 hours if you were working your day off) and then the line manager signs off the overtime - it should then be input by the bookroom staff to appear on your payslip the week after.
If I work 10 hours OT in week 1, it won't appear on my payslip until week 2...
Try speaking to whoever your manager is (even if the overtime one is on leave) and getting it sorted as soon as possible. You could also try finding out who actually inputs the overtime at your office (you may have a bookroom/admin staff), they might be able to help...
Breaks: you are entitled to breaks - it varies depending on how many hours you work that day (see this thread: http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=22175" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
But yes, you may work with people who work through breaks or take them at different times. Some offices have a time where everyone has a meal relief in the morning. If yours doesn't, you could still inform your partner you intend to take a break before you go out (might be a bit nicer than sitting on a garden wall in the rain when you are out on delivery) and/or you can take a further break when you are out on delivery.
Re: moving to new walks - Yes, it takes time to get up to speed and also to work quickly without making mistakes. So, don't worry too much about being slow on a delivery you've never done before.
Lightweight trolleys: they are supposed to be used on most rounds, but in reality people don't always use them (!). If a bag is too heavy, you can say you want to use a trolley, or get the driver to take out some packets to make the bag manageable. You don't have to cripple yourself in the services of Royal Mail!
There should be some trolleys available in the office. I'd be surprised if there are not any anywhere, or that absolutely no one uses them ever.
Another thing: you don't HAVE to stay out all day to finish the delivery. Overtime is not compulsory. If you don't think you are going to complete the round and are not able to work overtime inform your manager: http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=18563" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also, if you haven't already, join the union. Either ask your rep or you can do it at the CWU website: http://www.cwu.org/join-cwu-now.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good luck (it gets easier and really isn't that bad a job!),
I'll attempt to answer your questions!
First, with the overtime. In our office overtime is signed by the postman doing the work (you have to write in your pay number, your name, and the overtime you worked on that day - be it ten minutes if you went over, or 8 hours if you were working your day off) and then the line manager signs off the overtime - it should then be input by the bookroom staff to appear on your payslip the week after.
If I work 10 hours OT in week 1, it won't appear on my payslip until week 2...
Try speaking to whoever your manager is (even if the overtime one is on leave) and getting it sorted as soon as possible. You could also try finding out who actually inputs the overtime at your office (you may have a bookroom/admin staff), they might be able to help...
Breaks: you are entitled to breaks - it varies depending on how many hours you work that day (see this thread: http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=22175" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
But yes, you may work with people who work through breaks or take them at different times. Some offices have a time where everyone has a meal relief in the morning. If yours doesn't, you could still inform your partner you intend to take a break before you go out (might be a bit nicer than sitting on a garden wall in the rain when you are out on delivery) and/or you can take a further break when you are out on delivery.
Re: moving to new walks - Yes, it takes time to get up to speed and also to work quickly without making mistakes. So, don't worry too much about being slow on a delivery you've never done before.
Lightweight trolleys: they are supposed to be used on most rounds, but in reality people don't always use them (!). If a bag is too heavy, you can say you want to use a trolley, or get the driver to take out some packets to make the bag manageable. You don't have to cripple yourself in the services of Royal Mail!
There should be some trolleys available in the office. I'd be surprised if there are not any anywhere, or that absolutely no one uses them ever.
Another thing: you don't HAVE to stay out all day to finish the delivery. Overtime is not compulsory. If you don't think you are going to complete the round and are not able to work overtime inform your manager: http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=18563" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also, if you haven't already, join the union. Either ask your rep or you can do it at the CWU website: http://www.cwu.org/join-cwu-now.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good luck (it gets easier and really isn't that bad a job!),
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Re: Fourth week at Royal Mail - Worried about completing on
Hi, sorry to hear you're having problems. Do you have workplace coaches in your office? If so you should have been with one in your first week, you really don't learn from someone rushing around putting pressure on you to not use a trolley and taking most of the stuff that slows you down, ie packets, off you. How are you ever gonna get used to dealing with packets if you don't do them? If you do have one find out who they are and have a word, they should be a support for you as a new starter. Some people are naturals at the job, some I train take more time to get up to speed, but always focus on quality first, speed will come with practice. Overtime and working your day off is not compulsory but if you do you sure as hell wanna be paid for it! Do as the guy above said, absolutely get the manager to put it on this weeks, it's fraud not to pay you. Good luck in the job and enjoy it, it's better than been stuck in an office.... Most days.
-
camelelf
- Posts: 64
- Joined: 17 Oct 2015, 18:15
- Gender: Male
Re: Fourth week at Royal Mail - Worried about completing on
I think we have work place coaches yes. I'm not sure who though! I will ask around though.rambo1 wrote:Hi, sorry to hear you're having problems. Do you have workplace coaches in your office? If so you should have been with one in your first week, you really don't learn from someone rushing around putting pressure on you to not use a trolley and taking most of the stuff that slows you down, ie packets, off you. How are you ever gonna get used to dealing with packets if you don't do them? If you do have one find out who they are and have a word, they should be a support for you as a new starter. Some people are naturals at the job, some I train take more time to get up to speed, but always focus on quality first, speed will come with practice. Overtime and working your day off is not compulsory but if you do you sure as hell wanna be paid for it! Do as the guy above said, absolutely get the manager to put it on this weeks, it's fraud not to pay you. Good luck in the job and enjoy it, it's better than been stuck in an office.... Most days.
Even when I'm having to claim an hours overtime like today (Including the meal relief) there's still more experienced posties still out there. But then there's some which are back for half 1!
My new partner has been there for 26 years and explained that he couldn't understand why some people run around. It was much more relaxing and somewhat enjoyable working at my own pace, even if it was 2.5 miles more and got back later than last week.
Another thing, I've experienced all the aches that come with this job and have gotten on with it, but since I got the CAT boots last week I have had this absolutely awful pain in both my shins. It starts as soon after I start walking and lasts for about an hour before it goes. I've never experienced this kind of pain/discomfort so it's hard to describe but it's extremely painful. It's like walking with two dead legs. I'm wondering whether I should invest in my own pair of boots/trainers rather than wear these boots?
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Re: Fourth week at Royal Mail - Worried about completing on
Sounds like shin splints. Explain to your manager what you are experiencing and suggest you try order another pair of different shoes and use own shoes you know are comfortable in the meantime otherwise you will be off sick if you physically can't walk. If you need to use your own permanently you will need to get a doctor's note to say you can't wear royal mail footwear. I wear merrels as I find them really comfy and suitable for the job of walking 10miles a day. I get through 3 pairs a yr though but value my feet and whole body come to that so feel it's worth it.