ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Retirement leave entitlement

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
windermeredave
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 265
Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 13:37
Gender: Male

Retirement leave entitlement

Post by windermeredave »

Just been allocated my first 3 weeks leave for next year, and have recieved the form to select my remaining 3 weeks.
My question is, if anyone can answer it.
My retirement date is the end of August next year. the leave clerk is well aware of this, if I take the entire 6 weeks before my leaving date what would happen?
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Retirement leave entitlement

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

You would owe the difference in leave and should find that it would be taken off of your last pay and if it exceeds that may need to pay back the prorata amount
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Re: Retirement leave entitlement

Post by rhino49 »

You accrue leave throughout the year and may be allocated any or all of it at any time assuming that you work the twelve month accrual period that covers it.
If however you retire in August (as I did) you will only be able to take a percentage of your leave with pay, being that amount accrued from April to August. Anything over that you will have to pay back to Royal Mail. So basically - you can only take the leave you have accrued up to your leaving date - definitely NOT six weeks !!!
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Re: Retirement leave entitlement

Post by rhino49 »

P.S.Dave - enjoy your retirement - I'm loving mine ... Oh, and if you have a smartphone, get one of those retirement countdown apps and keep showing your mates how long you have left to go - it may not make THEM feel better, but it will get you through the bad days :)
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
windermeredave
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 265
Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Retirement leave entitlement

Post by windermeredave »

rhino49 wrote:P.S.Dave - enjoy your retirement - I'm loving mine ... Oh, and if you have a smartphone, get one of those retirement countdown apps and keep showing your mates how long you have left to go - it may not make THEM feel better, but it will get you through the bad days :)
Cheers mate, so you retired in August. what leave did you have March/August? and ho much were you given the oppotunity to select in October? I would like to know the process
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Retirement leave entitlement

Post by Lincox »

Retired back in March. Was sat in the pub at lunchtime today and a forlorn figure dressed in orange mac etc came in with the mail, dripping all over the floor. No I do not miss the job one bit, but felt very sorry for that poor female as it was p.ss.ng cats and dogs outside. How glad I am that I am not facing another Christmas.
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Re: Retirement leave entitlement

Post by rhino49 »

windermeredave wrote:
rhino49 wrote:P.S.Dave - enjoy your retirement - I'm loving mine ... Oh, and if you have a smartphone, get one of those retirement countdown apps and keep showing your mates how long you have left to go - it may not make THEM feel better, but it will get you through the bad days :)
Cheers mate, so you retired in August. what leave did you have March/August? and ho much were you given the oppotunity to select in October? I would like to know the process
I had taken a week of the previous year in March and my entitlement from April to when I left on August 8th was 10 days which I took in June.
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Retirement leave entitlement

Post by Dorset Plodder »

rhino49 wrote:P.S.Dave - enjoy your retirement - I'm loving mine ... Oh, and if you have a smartphone, get one of those retirement countdown apps and keep showing your mates how long you have left to go - it may not make THEM feel better, but it will get you through the bad days :)
Great Idea Rhino....Think I'll get one of those. I'll need to set it for about 15 years though! Ha ha :sad:
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)