ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

starting business from home

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
catch22
Posts: 196
Joined: 22 Sep 2012, 21:12
Gender: Male

starting business from home

Post by catch22 »

Starting a small business from home whilst not in work.
Profit is expected to be minimum for now.
This will not affect contractual obligations.
Do I need to inform my employer?

Also wife works for royal mail too. And on maternity leave can she start a business with me during her maternity leave.

Cheers
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: starting business from home

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

catch22 wrote:Starting a small business from home whilst not in work.
Profit is expected to be minimum for now.
This will not affect contractual obligations.
Do I need to inform my employer?

Also wife works for royal mail too. And on maternity leave can she start a business with me during her maternity leave.

Cheers

1. If its at the Hobby stage I would say no as regards to working time directive. However, you would need to inform the tax man as your tax details will change, don't forget the VAT Man as well. Technically you should inform RM as informing them about second jobs is one of the contractual clauses, so I guess its down to you to way the implications of either informing them or not.

2. I would check with an employment specialist as there could be a question over Maternity Pay. I know if you start a Part Time job during it you can lose MP, but not sure when you are working for yourself.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
ScousePostie
Posts: 273
Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
Gender: Male

Re: starting business from home

Post by ScousePostie »

In regards to becoming self-employed. The government says that any money you make as a self-employed person should be declared, however small. Check gov.uk for more details.

I run my own small photography business outside of RM working hours. RM are aware of this, but as my self employment doesn't affect my contracted hours at RM, they're fine with it.

Be sure that your self employment doesn't affect contracted hours at RM.