Hello everybody,
I started working on monday for royal mail as a postman.
I had these few days of training on a very hard walk and it appears they want me to start this saturday to work on my own. The work is really hard (I have been told nobody else in the office wants to do it) and I still make mistakes. The office is lacking personal and money and they want me to start earlier than my contract hours (9:30) and I know for sure I won't be able to finish my route for the end of my shift (14:30). Everything looks a bit disorganised and suspicious.
Now my question: can I ask to relocate to another office? I know they are looking for people at the office just where I live. How should I procede?
Thanks!
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Office transfer
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Re: Office transfer
You have been doing the job 4 days and find it hard?
Guess what? It is a hard job and moving else where won't make any difference because guess what... it will be really hard there too!
Try and stick out for a month. Ask your colleagues for help and advice where you work. Tell your manager if you are having problems trying to complete and get used to making mistakes as the speed at which we are now required to work at will always lead to mistakes.
If you can't handle it after a month don't waste your time moving to another office, just find another career because this wont be for you!
Guess what? It is a hard job and moving else where won't make any difference because guess what... it will be really hard there too!
Try and stick out for a month. Ask your colleagues for help and advice where you work. Tell your manager if you are having problems trying to complete and get used to making mistakes as the speed at which we are now required to work at will always lead to mistakes.
If you can't handle it after a month don't waste your time moving to another office, just find another career because this wont be for you!
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Office transfer
If you are asked to start earlier than your contract time, make sure they pay you overtime for it.
Your contracted 5 hours mean you are entitled to 30 minutes PAID break, you get another 10 minutes PAID break if you work past 7 hours and another 10mins PAID break if you work past 9 hours.
Working past your contracted finish time is voluntary.
If you feel you will not finish delivery (and then deal with anything brought back) before your contract finish time, let your lino know ASAP. Tell your lino if you are happy to complete delivery on overtime, or you can do "x" amount of overtime, or you wish to finish at your contract finish time.
Newcomers to the job are often shocked at how physically demanding it is! It normally gets easier over time, but that does not mean that all delivery rounds are achievable within contract hours over time, if you take your paid breaks and do the job correctly.
Your contracted 5 hours mean you are entitled to 30 minutes PAID break, you get another 10 minutes PAID break if you work past 7 hours and another 10mins PAID break if you work past 9 hours.
Working past your contracted finish time is voluntary.
If you feel you will not finish delivery (and then deal with anything brought back) before your contract finish time, let your lino know ASAP. Tell your lino if you are happy to complete delivery on overtime, or you can do "x" amount of overtime, or you wish to finish at your contract finish time.
Newcomers to the job are often shocked at how physically demanding it is! It normally gets easier over time, but that does not mean that all delivery rounds are achievable within contract hours over time, if you take your paid breaks and do the job correctly.
-
cesartac
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 01 Sep 2015, 16:20
- Gender: Male
Re: Office transfer
I don't have a problem with the fact it is hard.
Just I know I won't be able to complete my walk in time, not even arriving 30 mins earlier (which I don't have a problem with) and it seems they want to give me, as a newbie, the walk nobody wants to do.
It seems a bit unfair and not practical at all in the office interest.
About transfer: I don't have in mind to ask to relocate after only a week. I just want to know if there is this possibility and how it works. The post office next to me has been advertising the same job for months.
Just I know I won't be able to complete my walk in time, not even arriving 30 mins earlier (which I don't have a problem with) and it seems they want to give me, as a newbie, the walk nobody wants to do.
It seems a bit unfair and not practical at all in the office interest.
About transfer: I don't have in mind to ask to relocate after only a week. I just want to know if there is this possibility and how it works. The post office next to me has been advertising the same job for months.
-
delfranklin1969
- Posts: 83
- Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Office transfer
I could be wrong on this but I thought you had to be with RM for 12 months before you can get a transfer.
-
DocketLefty
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 03 Jul 2015, 22:06
- Gender: Male
Re: Office transfer
Man up... Ask to come in at the duty start time (in our office its 6.44 for towns, 7.20 for rurals. Give it a bash, don't worry if you are the last one to leave. If you are going to go over then book excess, if you don't think you will get it all done... well follow cut off procedure.
'The walk that no one wants to do' ....... We've all been there.
'The walk that no one wants to do' ....... We've all been there.
-
spen
- Posts: 531
- Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 19:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Office transfer
Its 6 months at the office you start at then you can transfer if a vacancy exists
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Re: Office transfer
A descent duty? That sounds all downhill. Excellent!!! I always try to plan a loop so I can start at the top of a hill and walk back up with an empty bag.
-
salomon
- Posts: 52
- Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 21:18
- Gender: Female
Re: Office transfer
What makes you think it's going to be different at another office! Sounds pretty standard to me. Do your best, if you can't complete say so, ask for help you may get some,possibly!!
I'm a year in now and get moved around with no training, just suck it up and get on with it the best you can. I had 2 days training when started before ending up on one of the most hated rounds, but I had nothing to compare it to so found it ok, you soon find ways of delivering to make it easy for you, a few shortcuts here and there and quicker ways to tie up the round come with practice.
You will get quicker, it's a hard job, physically demanding, and your contracted times are meaningless, it's advertised as a family friendly job, it's not!
25 hour contract here but often find myself covering full time rounds, suits me but you can always say no.
I'm a year in now and get moved around with no training, just suck it up and get on with it the best you can. I had 2 days training when started before ending up on one of the most hated rounds, but I had nothing to compare it to so found it ok, you soon find ways of delivering to make it easy for you, a few shortcuts here and there and quicker ways to tie up the round come with practice.
You will get quicker, it's a hard job, physically demanding, and your contracted times are meaningless, it's advertised as a family friendly job, it's not!
25 hour contract here but often find myself covering full time rounds, suits me but you can always say no.