Hi,
I am currently employed on a 25 hour contract.
In April I applied on-line for a 30 hour contract (in an office which gets London weighting), and have taken part in the interview process in mid May, and then in June I had a phone call from HR, informing me I have got the job and that I will be informed by post of my start date but we all know how long RM can take.
Throughout this whole process I have informed both my manager and union rep of my current office that I was doing this and at every stage kept them updated continuously asking for them to release me from my current contract, and to begin with I asked for a direct transfer to which I was told I wouldn't be able to as my office is apparently short staffed, which I cannot see myself.
4 Weeks ago when I got confirmation that I had the new job I again told my manager that I would need to be released as I had got the job, the new manager has also e-mailed asking for a release date, but still nothing. My manager has now told me that they can hold me indefinitely as is operational. However, by doing this I am losing money each week as the new job is an increase in contractual hours as well as the addition of London weighting. I am unsure of where to turn as my union rep has sided with the management on them being able to hold me.
I no longer care that it is more money. I am fed up of my current office and feel that I am being mistreated by both my union rep and management and that they are holding me back from progressing. If I were to leave the company completely I would only have to give a months notice so I don't understand what the difference is!
Any advice on what to do would be much appreciated :)
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Increasing hours by transferring office.. or not.
-
Postwoman_L
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 15:52
- Gender: Female
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Increasing hours by transferring office.. or not.
If your local Rep is unable to help contact the Area Rep and get him on board. Your current Manager will hang on to like grim death....because if you go he's a postie down. Your new Manager will be eager for you to start because he's already a Postie down!
I believe he can only keep you for 28 days....But get that Area Rep involved. As you say it's your life and your chance to earn more. Good Luck.
I believe he can only keep you for 28 days....But get that Area Rep involved. As you say it's your life and your chance to earn more. Good Luck.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Dozen
- Posts: 101
- Joined: 21 Mar 2013, 18:56
- Gender: Male
Re: Increasing hours by transferring office.. or not.
How long have you been with Royal Mail? Just thinking that if you're still relatively new, then you could hand in a notice to leave with your current contract, and then simply start work at the other office on the 30 hours contract. I'm assuming you'd lose any seniority you've built up (am not 100% on that though). Obviously not an ideal solution but it's something. They might act like they have power over you but they can't stop you from applying for other vacancies and they certainly can't stop you from handing in a notice!
-
coxie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1336
- Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
- Gender: Male
Re: Increasing hours by transferring office.. or not.
This is the road id be looking to go down, speak to HR about it and ask if that would be allowed.Dozen wrote:How long have you been with Royal Mail? Just thinking that if you're still relatively new, then you could hand in a notice to leave with your current contract, and then simply start work at the other office on the 30 hours contract. I'm assuming you'd lose any seniority you've built up (am not 100% on that though). Obviously not an ideal solution but it's something. They might act like they have power over you but they can't stop you from applying for other vacancies and they certainly can't stop you from handing in a notice!
-
Postwoman_L
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 15:52
- Gender: Female
Re: Increasing hours by transferring office.. or not.
I was told by another rep that it is 6 Weeks that they can hold me for, but he has no paperwork on it and isn't willing to jump on board with me given that he doesn't have the paperwork to back it up.
I've been working for RM for 2 years next month so losing my seniority will be a bit of a kick in the teeth but its not that drastic. But if there isn't a break in my service will I actually lose it?
I have explored quite a few avenues but I think the only way out is to hand my notice in at the current place and hopefully i'll still be able to start at the new place.
Thanks for the help though guys! :)
I've been working for RM for 2 years next month so losing my seniority will be a bit of a kick in the teeth but its not that drastic. But if there isn't a break in my service will I actually lose it?
The area rep and local rep are like BEST FRIENDS so the area rep leaves him to it. It's so annoying.Dorset Plodder wrote:If your local Rep is unable to help contact the Area Rep and get him on board. Your current Manager will hang on to like grim death....because if you go he's a postie down. Your new Manager will be eager for you to start because he's already a Postie down!
I believe he can only keep you for 28 days....But get that Area Rep involved. As you say it's your life and your chance to earn more. Good Luck.
I have explored quite a few avenues but I think the only way out is to hand my notice in at the current place and hopefully i'll still be able to start at the new place.
Thanks for the help though guys! :)
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32794
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Increasing hours by transferring office.. or not.
Don't hand your notice in!
You might have to go to DIV rep and maybe CWU HQ.
Explore all avenues 1st.
PS:You only have to give a weeks notice to resign.
You might have to go to DIV rep and maybe CWU HQ.
Explore all avenues 1st.
PS:You only have to give a weeks notice to resign.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
bogstandard
- Posts: 1074
- Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 06:16
Re: Increasing hours by transferring office.. or not.
if you have a start date then i would expect RM to honour your new T's and C's, specifically 30 hour weeks and your london weighting. If your current DOM wants to keep hold of you it will cost HIM it should not cost you. Put that to your area rep. Tell tham you are happy to stay on these terms as remaining is a financial penalty being imposed on you.
Phone HR for details of your transfere and how this happens and ask if this has happenend before and what happens to your current office as you are creating a staffing shortage. Dont tell them the same stuff you tell your rep ie T's and C's.
Phone HR for details of your transfere and how this happens and ask if this has happenend before and what happens to your current office as you are creating a staffing shortage. Dont tell them the same stuff you tell your rep ie T's and C's.
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP