ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Calling any Fitbit Geeks ...

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
RedBagMan
Posts: 1010
Joined: 01 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male
Location: Behind the lens

Calling any Fitbit Geeks ...

Post by RedBagMan »

Kids bought me a Fitbit Flex for Fathers Day ... been wearing it all week and I'm averaging 12/13 miles a day - obviously includes walking from home to station and station to work (and back), my walk (I'm the walker in the van share so yes I get the smelly end of the sh*t stick !) plus "around the house". Still seems a bit high to me mind. My walk includes a lot of steep hills and a helluva lot of steps. I've fed in height and weight and apparently it works out a default "step length" .... should I be tweaking this step length to compensate for inclines/steps etc ???
"We're under model" - oh no we're not - stick your lapse elsewhere ...
spen
Posts: 531
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 19:53
Gender: Male

Re: Calling any Fitbit Geeks ...

Post by spen »

I did a g p s track on my walk, from first letter to last letter only, 12 miles,,,
Huxon
Posts: 21
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 20:52
Gender: Male

Re: Calling any Fitbit Geeks ...

Post by Huxon »

Around 9 miles on a normal day for me.
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: Calling any Fitbit Geeks ...

Post by DirtyHarry »

12/13 miles walking every day is excessive, way too excessive. More importantly, that amount of walking on a daily basis is not, nor will it ever be, conducive to good health.
2pints
Posts: 286
Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
Gender: Male

Re: Calling any Fitbit Geeks ...

Post by 2pints »

Walking 12 miles a day for 5 out of 7 days is fine as long as you use a trolley.
paulthepostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 123
Joined: 06 Nov 2009, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: Calling any Fitbit Geeks ...

Post by paulthepostie »

some of us who do wallingtons work six days a week though with a trolley, which i agree is way to excessive.
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: Calling any Fitbit Geeks ...

Post by spiderj »

The mileage will cause wear and tear.
I won
salomon
Posts: 52
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 21:18
Gender: Female

Re: Calling any Fitbit Geeks ...

Post by salomon »

Sounds about right, I've a fitbit surge and average 7 miles on delivery, an extra 4 before and after and if I go for a run at night I add another 5 to 8. Fitbits slightly over estimate but that's fine when you compare your day to day stats against yourself rather than comparing with others. Did 16 on Tuesday, 11 weds and yesterday I was in the van did 11. Been a quietish week my max has been 30 in one day when I did a half marathon after work! I'm only pt.
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Re: Calling any Fitbit Geeks ...

Post by motherhubbard »

RedBagMan wrote: I've fed in height and weight and apparently it works out a default "step length" .... should I be tweaking this step length to compensate for inclines/steps etc ???
First of all you need to find out what the default step length is and then decide if you need to tweak it.
Personally I think all these 12/13 miles a day claims are ridiculous.

I think it is really funny that everybody thinks Georoute is so flawed and everything it spits out is complete rubbish, whereas the output of their technology is spot on.

An average walking speed is 4 miles/hour.
So just walking you would be doing well to walk 16 miles in 4 hours.
Given the stop/start nature of delivery and the amount of time actually spent standing still on doorsteps, at traffic lights, getting the next bundle out etc, the idea you can cover that distance every day is hard to believe.
I have measured, roughly, every duty in my office using map my run and then having to estimate the drive lengths, and not one is over 6 miles.
You must all be superhuman.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Re: Calling any Fitbit Geeks ...

Post by Jpro747 »

motherhubbard wrote:
RedBagMan wrote: I've fed in height and weight and apparently it works out a default "step length" .... should I be tweaking this step length to compensate for inclines/steps etc ???
First of all you need to find out what the default step length is and then decide if you need to tweak it.
Personally I think all these 12/13 miles a day claims are ridiculous.

I think it is really funny that everybody thinks Georoute is so flawed and everything it spits out is complete rubbish, whereas the output of their technology is spot on.

An average walking speed is 4 miles/hour.
So just walking you would be doing well to walk 16 miles in 4 hours.
Given the stop/start nature of delivery and the amount of time actually spent standing still on doorsteps, at traffic lights, getting the next bundle out etc, the idea you can cover that distance every day is hard to believe.
I have measured, roughly, every duty in my office using map my run and then having to estimate the drive lengths, and not one is over 6 miles.
You must all be superhuman.
In the perfect world of Georoute, traffic lights are always green, the customer is always in, and we're all capable of hopping over 6ft fences and walking at 4mph from start to finish (even in your 60s).

I have mapped a part time HCT walk in our office using a GPS tracking app (map my walk) and it came out at 8 miles (going to nearly every house). This round is way over what it should be, Whoever does it either chooses to cut off or go over by 1-2 hours. After doing that round I'm knackered and my feet ache, so I can't imagine how hard a 12 mile walk is.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Calling any Fitbit Geeks ...

Post by Dorset Plodder »

motherhubbard wrote:
An average walking speed is 4 miles/hour.
So just walking you would be doing well to walk 16 miles in 4 hours.
Given the stop/start nature of delivery and the amount of time actually spent standing still on doorsteps, at traffic lights, getting the next bundle out etc, the idea you can cover that distance every day is hard to believe.
I have measured, roughly, every duty in my office using map my run and then having to estimate the drive lengths, and not one is over 6 miles.
You must all be superhuman.
I agree that there's a lot of discrepancies between these route lengths, and some seem excessively long. I use a silva pedometer (which is pretty low tech it just counts the paces and converts to distance). I was quite surprised to see that my average speed was only about 2 m.p.h! :shock: (If a duties 10 miles long and it takes 5 hours to cover that's 2 m.p.h) However when you consider the amount of paperwork, scanning, door knocking, waiting, delivering to neighbours etc. It's not just a brisk walk in the park! :sad:
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Calling any Fitbit Geeks ...

Post by wannabeek »

Does it work even tho you are holding things in both hands? I'd like one of these but kind of assumed that it wouldn't register a step without an arm swing, or am I misunderstanding the tech?
salomon
Posts: 52
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 21:18
Gender: Female

Re: Calling any Fitbit Geeks ...

Post by salomon »

I measured my walk with a GPS Garmin and its not far off the same as my fitbit. Going to every house is just under 8 miles and on a Tuesday it can be as little as 6.5 miles.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Calling any Fitbit Geeks ...

Post by wannabeek »

The fitbit surge has GPS too, doesn't it. Would that make it more accurate than the cheaper non-GPS ones, or do you not turn the GPS on all the time to save battery?
A2B
Posts: 2025
Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
Gender: Male

Re: Calling any Fitbit Geeks ...

Post by A2B »

When you move your arm backwards and forwards it registers that as steps so sorting, prepping and the like will add to your step count