ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

nail in foot!!!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
jason1984
Posts: 21
Joined: 14 Oct 2013, 20:05
Gender: Male

nail in foot!!!

Post by jason1984 »

Got a nail stuck deep in my foot yesterday walking by a skip on a building site whilst on duty,got it pulled out by the builder,went and got a tetanus jag and bandaged up....issue being that my manager has said it is in my BEST interest to be back on my FULL duty tomorrow because I already had time off due to an injury last year then he might have to go the conduct route with me supposedly?can he do this?today was my scheduled day off anyways,but as it is right now I cant put any pressure on it and can only walk on the heel......the duty I am on rest of week is also mainly flats which ain't gonna help much!what can I do?any help would be appreciated!
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: nail in foot!!!

Post by datasaint »

Did you fill out an accident report? The fact it was an injury sustained on duty means the stage procedure can't be used against you.
jason1984
Posts: 21
Joined: 14 Oct 2013, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: nail in foot!!!

Post by jason1984 »

They done an investigation on the day and most of the stuff was done on the ERICA system,so wasn't sure if I can get disciplined for it?
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: nail in foot!!!

Post by Judgee »

Were you wearing the official RM footwear?
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: nail in foot!!!

Post by arnold cheshire »

jason1984 wrote:Got a nail stuck deep in my foot yesterday walking by a skip on a building site whilst on duty,got it pulled out by the builder,went and got a tetanus jag and bandaged up....issue being that my manager has said it is in my BEST interest to be back on my FULL duty tomorrow because I already had time off due to an injury last year then he might have to go the conduct route with me supposedly?can he do this?today was my scheduled day off anyways,but as it is right now I cant put any pressure on it and can only walk on the heel......the duty I am on rest of week is also mainly flats which ain't gonna help much!what can I do?any help would be appreciated!
why were you walking on a building site ?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: nail in foot!!!

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

jason1984 wrote:They done an investigation on the day and most of the stuff was done on the ERICA system,so wasn't sure if I can get disciplined for it?
I'll be frank it depends on the investigation and whether you are culpable in any way.

For instance, did you pass any signs warning hard hats and safety boot should be worn. Even if they don't have sign did you actively asses the situation.
Is the site mentioned as a hazard in the walk log. If so are there any special instructions for delivery.

All of the above will have a bearing on how they will go with the blame game, but the list is not exhaustive.


If there are no signs you may have a case against the builders/developers, so contact the Union and get a claim form.

Contact DWP and register it as an Industrial Accident, just in case.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: nail in foot!!!

Post by spiderj »

Tb the industrial accident reporting rules changed a week while back.
Only needs reported if claiming disability related to industrial injury.

Having said that it's still worth creating a paper trail ,call dwp industrial injuries in Barnsley or Google it.

Jason,accidents on duty are meant to be investigated as accidents but most managers will try and hang you for it,especially in west of Scotland.

:shock:

My advice,see the rep,even though he can't do much in that unit due to the managers approach.

Admit nothing until you've called the union legal line,youll get better advice from them.

Ask for your managers threats in writing in front of a reliable witness.

Seek medical advice and document it.

And smile all the while,they'll try and get you to bite.

Good luck
:thumbup
I won
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: nail in foot!!!

Post by spiderj »

Lol double checked and yes I know you and the unit

Simple solution
See doctor or NHS 24

Self certificate if necessary

Was building site in the walk log,wee red folder on top of frame ?

Ask rep to check it for you.

Tell the delightfull lino to bite your walloper as it was an accident and not deliberate.

Get a tetanus jag and remain indignant as you don't like being accused of self harming.

The managers in your unit are still getting their backsides kicked after several recent events,this is their way of dealing with it.

If he tries to conduct you stand up to the good doctor.....he rolls over when you fight back.

Or don't ....its up to you big fella.
:cuppa
I won
hans solo
Posts: 3285
Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
Gender: Male

Re: nail in foot!!!

Post by hans solo »

take as much time off as possible for FULL recovery only until your comfortable with recovery attend work
your mgmt dont give a f**k about you as i personally know
only their bonus figures for attendance that bother them
if its not reported in walk log its an accident
if you were on building site does your lino issue you with hard hat and protective boots no
does he insist you deliver there (common working practises if everyone else does) yes
Bishbashbbosh
Posts: 80
Joined: 28 Jun 2014, 18:06
Gender: Male

Re: nail in foot!!!

Post by Bishbashbbosh »

I know I will be a minority, but maybe the manager is trying to help you. They are put under pressure nowadays to conduct people if they have a blameworthy accident that turns out to be a lost time accident (time off work) tell him you can come in and do indoor work, it shows your keen to help, stops it being a list time accident and will stand you in good stead to argue any conduct proceedings. Chances are you were reading whilst walking and will be deemed blameworthy
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: nail in foot!!!

Post by spiderj »

Personal knowledge of the managers in question means they'll blame the postie.

Jason,if it continues stick a grievance in.
I won
jason1984
Posts: 21
Joined: 14 Oct 2013, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: nail in foot!!!

Post by jason1984 »

Wasn't as much a building site,more a re-roofing of one house,and I checked the area was clear whilst walking to the door with a parcel for the house owner,he even told me to watch my head as they were chucking huge piles of tiles down from roof straight into an overflowing skip even though they knew I was there,the nail must have been point up in the stones of the driveway and I never seen it,and I followed same path I came to the door so its obviously slid off the skip from the pile that was chucked down when I was at the door!I was wearing royal mail footwear and there was nothing in folder about building work being done at that address,it was also my first time doing that particular run......i couldn't believe he said to me it could go down the conduct route like I intentionally stood on that nail is he trying to tell me??? Funny thing is after the accident happened and before the managers arrived to investigate,the builder sent three guys down from the roof to tidy up EVERY piece of debris that had slid off the skip,so when the managers came to take a pic of area it was spotless!the builder even had the cheek to say to the manager investigating how could he prove the nail came from his site????anyways,back to work tomorrow,can barely walk but hey ho,needs must,not sure what to say exactly to him lol,he is very good at pulling the guilt trip on not just me,but other staff too,there's no chance ill be able to do the fully duty,maybe not even half of one as its mainly flats!!!
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: nail in foot!!!

Post by postslippete »

Generally speaking if you sustained an injury whilst at work then it is normally exempt from obtaining a stage warning.


It does sound like your gaffer is a bit more worried than you are. For a start, he/she has already mentioned the conduct route if you fail to show up tomorrow!! If that is not threatening someone to come in and work even though they may be seriously injured then I don't know what is!! Such a shame you can't record phone calls when you want to.... You don't actually mention if you got conducted with a stage warning for the previous incident last year? If not, then it is only this incident that you can get conduct coded for.

If you do feel that you can hobble around and they are not giving you light duties then absolutely insist on doing say 2 or 3 loops tops. It is your choice - they can't force you to do more if you don't want to!!!
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
jason1984
Posts: 21
Joined: 14 Oct 2013, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: nail in foot!!!

Post by jason1984 »

No never got a stage warning last time! I kinda feel like I'm being forced to do the full duty tomorrow as its supposedly in my best interests due to loss of working time and the company having to support me again???
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: nail in foot!!!

Post by dave72 »

Was this on a building site?

Edit, Ignore that, carry on
Last edited by dave72 on 23 Jun 2015, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.