Sorry if this is a long one and maybe in the wrong place place but here goes .... Bit of background first I am 60 on June 1st, I started working for Royal Mail in 1972, about two years ago I took my NRA60 benefits primarily because I was worried about the pension situation, which in hindsight I maybe should have rode out. Unfortunately around the same time I suffered a heart attack upon return from holiday and had a three month lay off before getting back to work. When I went back I was somewhat handicapped by issues directly and indirectly brought on or speeded up by my heart attack, firstly I had residual circulation problems in my legs and the osteoarthritis I never knew I had in both hips became more acute. This posed a problem in that the jobs I was able to do were limited as they were available, fortunately nights in our office which is a small hub is not to many peoples taste and there was a vacancy, my DOM offered me to trial it and if all went well I could take it up permanently.
Thankfully things worked out and I have been doing the job since and yes the pay for nights is a massive benefit, the fact is I am happy just to be working and able to do the job.
With that background in mind a couple of months or so ago the manager indicated some changes were going to happen, I will not go into detail about his proposals at that time as we put a case forward and he withdrew them. Now however the issue is again on the table, one of the proposals involves suspending the night duties for 12 weeks (summer savings although our allowances will remain intact) and the night staff to still do the last 4hrs of the current night shift which is 740cf driving and then take up delivery in some form to complete the remaining 6hrs of our shift. Therein lies my problem I am physically not able to walk a delivery (I can walk obviously but not over a long period) and even a small van delivery poses a problem due to the getting out and getting in repeatedly something you don't do when driving a 740cf. I am going to speak with the manager together with our rep but I am getting the feeling most of it will fall on deaf ears. My experiences of the past also suggest that once these “summer changes” are actioned they very rarely get turned around back again (even though in this proposal it does state it will after the 12 weeks).
So in an effort to get wised up I have been thinking of possible alternatives should things go as I suspect they will. A couple of months back two EVR's were on offer only one got taken so it maybe that one might still be available, but would require me to “opt out” of the NRA 65 pension scheme, with that in mind and thinking of the new rules that have just kicked in as the pension is not a final salary but I believe a defined benefit do I have other options than just taking this as a pension when and if I opt out, and am I right that if I do opt out I may qualify for 104 weeks pay to leave under the current EVR rules ?
The other main thought I had would maybe to consider if a medical retirement might be an alternative, not sure how this would work or even if it would be offered or in fact if it would be beneficial to me. If anyone could enlighten me on the conditions a medical retirement might be offered and the in's and out 's of it I would be grateful.
My main worry is that because I in a sense cannot perform a full range of duties my position is a bit weak to expect Royal Mail to fall over themselves for me, seen this happen to one colleague a while back and all he ended up with was a severance package and his pension slightly enhanced and the door was well and truly closed on him as he left.
Anyway that the long and short of it anyone who can help or supply some guidance or suggestions I would be very grateful … obviously I would prefer to carry on for a bit longer but not if it puts my health in further jeopardy.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Best option ..EVR, Medical Retirement or any other ideas
-
presario
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 23 Mar 2011, 12:38
- Gender: Male
Best option ..EVR, Medical Retirement or any other ideas
This is the Night Mail crossing the border Bringing the cheque and the postal order. them were the days :-/
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Best option ..EVR, Medical Retirement or any other ideas
To be honest your case probably needs a professional rep. Contact your branch and ask for the Equalities Officer, they deal with disabilities etc. Your rep may be the best ever, but they won't be trained to the same level. If you have paid in for years starting drawing on it. 
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
presario
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 23 Mar 2011, 12:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Best option ..EVR, Medical Retirement or any other ideas
Thanks TrueBlueTerrier will take your advice ... our unit rep is well, a bit green shall we say, so probably a good idea of yours to look for more directed guidance ...cheers
This is the Night Mail crossing the border Bringing the cheque and the postal order. them were the days :-/
-
RobertT
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 6694
- Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Best option ..EVR, Medical Retirement or any other ideas
Personally I thought the main reason VR/EVR’s were being offered was because Whistl was expected to start their rollout of deliveries around various parts of the country. As that is now not going to happen, I would have thought VR/EVR would largely get shelved for at least the time being, although I may be wrong.
The new pension rules that came into force in April only apply to defined contribution schemes, so your only options would be to either take your NRA65 benefits whenever you leave, with a 5% reduction for each year before 65, or defer it until a later date. Unless it was under EVR terms, in which case no reduction would apply and you would actually get a small enhancement.
If you opt out of the pension you would get the maximum 104 weeks payment should EVR be available. If you don’t opt out and then take EVR you will get 26 weeks pay or statutory redundancy pay, whichever is higher.
The new pension rules that came into force in April only apply to defined contribution schemes, so your only options would be to either take your NRA65 benefits whenever you leave, with a 5% reduction for each year before 65, or defer it until a later date. Unless it was under EVR terms, in which case no reduction would apply and you would actually get a small enhancement.
If you opt out of the pension you would get the maximum 104 weeks payment should EVR be available. If you don’t opt out and then take EVR you will get 26 weeks pay or statutory redundancy pay, whichever is higher.
Last edited by RobertT on 15 May 2015, 04:21, edited 1 time in total.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
-
Glenno
- Posts: 1491
- Joined: 05 Jun 2007, 13:12
Re: Best option ..EVR, Medical Retirement or any other ideas
presario
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=36293" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; this is the link to the currant IHR agreement, so have a good read, Q: have you been assesed by ATOS (occ health)? with your medical conditions I believe you may be covered by the Equalities Act 2010 which gives you more leverage with the currant summer savings exercise (reasonable adjustment) it is fair to say that you should probably get Area Rep/ Branch Equalitity officer involved fr you specifically, in my opinion as you have taken your NRA60, this is the best part of your pension (final salary) be guided by the link provided, Robert T and the full time release Reps, IHR = about £20,000 on average,hope this helps

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=36293" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; this is the link to the currant IHR agreement, so have a good read, Q: have you been assesed by ATOS (occ health)? with your medical conditions I believe you may be covered by the Equalities Act 2010 which gives you more leverage with the currant summer savings exercise (reasonable adjustment) it is fair to say that you should probably get Area Rep/ Branch Equalitity officer involved fr you specifically, in my opinion as you have taken your NRA60, this is the best part of your pension (final salary) be guided by the link provided, Robert T and the full time release Reps, IHR = about £20,000 on average,hope this helps
-
presario
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 23 Mar 2011, 12:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Best option ..EVR, Medical Retirement or any other ideas
Cheers for all the answers I have taken note and will take the time to read up what has been pointed to 
This is the Night Mail crossing the border Bringing the cheque and the postal order. them were the days :-/