Hi Everyone,
I'm currently on maternity leave and not due to return to work for several months, however I won't be able to return to my current work location or on my contracted hours. I've moved house and therefore traveling to my contacted place of work is not possible as it will take me in excess of 1.5 hours each day and I'll need to drop and pick my child up from nursery around those times. What is the best way to ask for a transfer? I know my current manager does not want to let me go and I called the HR line who weren't very helpful and told me that if a vacancy was not advertised online then I'd have to hand in my resignation or continue at my current workplace.
Also, I will not be able to work Saturdays due to my new family commitments, therefore how can I go about requesting a reduction of hours and days?
I know I'm asking for a lot here so if it seems unrealistic then I'd rather know sooner so I can look into employment elsewhere however really don't want to loose my job at RM.
TIA
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Flexible Working Request - Returning from Maternity
-
she84uk
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 12 May 2014, 11:57
- Gender: Female
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Re: Flexible Working Request - Returning from Maternity
You could always pop in to your nearest office and have a chat with the manager there to see if there are any vacancies. If they agree you could try and pursue it that way. But needing family friendly hours they may not be keen to take you in.
Legally I wouldn't have thought there is anything you could try as you moved house and therefore could be seen to have caused some of these problems yourself!
Legally I wouldn't have thought there is anything you could try as you moved house and therefore could be seen to have caused some of these problems yourself!
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
she84uk
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 12 May 2014, 11:57
- Gender: Female
Re: Flexible Working Request - Returning from Maternity
Thanks Judgee, will pop down to my local DO (it's a 15 minute walk from home so ideal) and hopefully get a chance to speak to the manager. I understand what you mean by my moving house could cause an issue however, I was working in a different office to what was on my contract and to what I was interviewed for, so I'm hoping they'll see that I accommodated to their needs and in turn they may at least consider negotiating my hours and location.
Fingers crossed
Fingers crossed