Got a 3 week sicknote after an operation on my hand.
DOM keeps trying to ring my mobile to get me to come in like he always does but I am ignoring them.
Am I right in saying that I d have to contact him until a few days before I come back
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
3 weeks off
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
Re: 3 weeks off
I had a sick note and was signed off for 2 weeks. On my 2nd day of absence I had 2 different managers ring me up asking if I could go in and do light duties despite being signed off from a doctor. I couldn't do it as I was too ill so then switched my phone off for a few days. Because I didn't make contact every day I received 2 letters in the post, one which was sent by special delivery, summoning me to go into the office the next day for an absence meeting. As I was going back into work 2 days later I said I didn't think it was necessary to go in and that I was still covered by the sick note. To cut a long story short, I went to the meeting and basically got a bollocking for not keeping my phone on at all times. Keep your phone off by all means but be prepared for the harassment which will follow.eastie wrote:Got a 3 week sicknote after an operation on my hand.
DOM keeps trying to ring my mobile to get me to come in like he always does but I am ignoring them.
Am I right in saying that I d have to contact him until a few days before I come back
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: 3 weeks off
eastie wrote:Got a 3 week sicknote after an operation on my hand.
DOM keeps trying to ring my mobile to get me to come in like he always does but I am ignoring them.
Am I right in saying that I d have to contact him until a few days before I come back
No - there should be a regular contact plan, unless of course that was the contact plan.
Page 23 http://www.cwu.org/assets/_files/docume ... nce_Pr.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Page 24The employee and manager should seek to agree an appropriate time and date for reviewing together all but very short absenc
The aim of maintaining contact during an absence is to encourage an early return to work wherever possible
In the rare event that contact is not maintained following the expiry of a ‘Fit Note’, the manager should make reasonable efforts to make contact including sending contact letters by Special Delivery and First Class post. If the employee does not make contact, he or she will be given two days’ written notice before any suspension of sick pay
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
rjack
- Posts: 98
- Joined: 26 Nov 2010, 09:42
- Gender: Male
- Location: wales
Re: 3 weeks off
I've blocked my doms and work phone no. On my mobile as Royal Mail don't pay my contract if they want to get hold of me they have to ring my house phone. If they want to help pay my contract I'll unblock them .
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Re: 3 weeks off
starting back this Monday on light duties after the 3 weeks and the DOM asked me if I was OK to go back on full duties. When I said light duties after my op he asked me did I want to book the week off as holidayrjack wrote:I've blocked my doms and work phone no. On my mobile as Royal Mail don't pay my contract if they want to get hold of me they have to ring my house phone. If they want to help pay my contract I'll unblock them .
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4194
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: 3 weeks off
I thought sick notes were for people who had seen a professional Doctor in person and had declared them as 'medically unfit'
In which case why would on earth would Royal Mail ring a member of staff up everyday, asking them how they feel and then harassing them to come back into work?
---------------------------------------
After a bit of digging, I am now aware that Employers can now overrule a GPs advice regarding a 'fit' note. They can do this by gathering other evidence about an employee's fitness for work from other doctors or healthcare professionals (OH Assist).
I believe the OH Assist is a telephone service which Royal Mail operates and who ring you up with a back to work plan based on your current medical condition? Quite how someone can diagnose a person's condition over the phone mystifies me.
Its a great idea though. Maybe the government could introduce it to the NHS as well, whereby you ring a centralised Call-centre and a Doctor in India will speak to you over the phone and tell you what medication you need without actually examining you??
Whoa there, I have just solved the NHS crisis !!!
In which case why would on earth would Royal Mail ring a member of staff up everyday, asking them how they feel and then harassing them to come back into work?
---------------------------------------
After a bit of digging, I am now aware that Employers can now overrule a GPs advice regarding a 'fit' note. They can do this by gathering other evidence about an employee's fitness for work from other doctors or healthcare professionals (OH Assist).
I believe the OH Assist is a telephone service which Royal Mail operates and who ring you up with a back to work plan based on your current medical condition? Quite how someone can diagnose a person's condition over the phone mystifies me.
Its a great idea though. Maybe the government could introduce it to the NHS as well, whereby you ring a centralised Call-centre and a Doctor in India will speak to you over the phone and tell you what medication you need without actually examining you??
Whoa there, I have just solved the NHS crisis !!!
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4194
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: 3 weeks off
eastie wrote:starting back this Monday on light duties after the 3 weeks and the DOM asked me if I was OK to go back on full duties. When I said light duties after my op he asked me did I want to book the week off as holidayrjack wrote:I've blocked my doms and work phone no. On my mobile as Royal Mail don't pay my contract if they want to get hold of me they have to ring my house phone. If they want to help pay my contract I'll unblock them .
Ive seen another thread about this somewhere....
3 weeks on sick and the manager wants you to go back on full duties?? It seems like they are pressurising you, especially if you feel that you can't manage a full round straight away.
Why not ring your boss and ask him that you want to be referred to ATOS on a back to work recovery plan ??
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Re: 3 weeks off
did ask to refered to ATOS but they didn't contact me
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: 3 weeks off
I have a letter from ATOS (and so does the DOM with RM's copy) stating that I am now considered, in their opinion, to be disabled due to my arthritis of the knee. I am back on full duty with daily painkillers but wake up in agony each night when I move my knee in my sleep changing its position from straight to bent or vice-versa. I had a stage 1 3 months back and the DOM told me I'd be 'ill healthed' (sic) if it threatened my ability in future to do a full walk.
But, at least ATOS/OH have been firm with their diagnosis.
What this means for me in future with RM I cannot say.
But like the OP said, I was rung approx. every 48 hours at home in my 3 weeks off despite being signed off. I always answered instantly as I couldn't drive or walk anywhere but I felt like they didn't trust me. Not nice.
But, at least ATOS/OH have been firm with their diagnosis.
What this means for me in future with RM I cannot say.
But like the OP said, I was rung approx. every 48 hours at home in my 3 weeks off despite being signed off. I always answered instantly as I couldn't drive or walk anywhere but I felt like they didn't trust me. Not nice.