ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Cutting, when moving to another office
-
Leebest112
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 27 Jan 2015, 16:23
- Gender: Male
Cutting, when moving to another office
Hi.
Ive been working as a spare in for my office for a few years now. Generally stayed in my own office which is good.
Just recently however i'm being asked to go to different areas.
Now when i'm in my own area im quite happy to go over and do some overtime. However i'm at a stage now when im getting a bit tried of going over my time in these other areas as i don't know the walks very well.
Even on light days im quite often going over.
Its also getting a bit annoying cos i know there are a few walks available in my office but there going to people on overtime. You'd think a spare should be given the walk first wouldn't you?
Any way im thinking of cutting whenever im moved to a different area. Do you think this is ok? Or as a spare am i maybe putting my job in jeopardy doing this.
Just sick of finishing late.
Maybe cutting like this may even give me more chance of working in my normal office what do you think especially as i say there are walks available.
Ive been working as a spare in for my office for a few years now. Generally stayed in my own office which is good.
Just recently however i'm being asked to go to different areas.
Now when i'm in my own area im quite happy to go over and do some overtime. However i'm at a stage now when im getting a bit tried of going over my time in these other areas as i don't know the walks very well.
Even on light days im quite often going over.
Its also getting a bit annoying cos i know there are a few walks available in my office but there going to people on overtime. You'd think a spare should be given the walk first wouldn't you?
Any way im thinking of cutting whenever im moved to a different area. Do you think this is ok? Or as a spare am i maybe putting my job in jeopardy doing this.
Just sick of finishing late.
Maybe cutting like this may even give me more chance of working in my normal office what do you think especially as i say there are walks available.
-
terry2972
- Posts: 482
- Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Cutting, when moving to another office
Start at your DO ask them to transport you to the other DO then ask to be taken back to your DO for your own finishing time
-
Hitcher
- Posts: 1530
- Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
- Gender: Male
Re: Cutting, when moving to another office
Also, if you're using your own car to get there you might not even be insured.
-
gary1975
- Posts: 482
- Joined: 16 Apr 2011, 13:41
- Gender: Male
Re: Cutting, when moving to another office
^^^ doing this will usually put a end to u being sent elsewhere ;)terry2972 wrote:Start at your DO ask them to transport you to the other DO then ask to be taken back to your DO for your own finishing time
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Cutting, when moving to another office
Have a search through some of the old posts LB. We've had quite a bit of info regarding working at other offices and cutting off procedures.
To summarise: You can make it as difficult, or as easy, as you like for your DOM. Depending on IF YOU WANT the extra Overtime. You can NEVER be forced to work over your contracted hours or use your own transport. In a Worse Case Scenario your Time should start when you clock on at your Office. Then they should drive you over to the other office, and return you to your office were your time will stop!
Best Case Scenario (For RM) is to negotiate T&S (Travel & Subsistence)payments, which are quite generous, and paid per mile(IF you want to use your car). You could try for traveling time but most DOMs will only go for one or the other. Take the T&S it's Tax Free and works out better (For You). You could negotiate to start at the other Office, if it suits you i.e you live in that area. And it would short circuit any claims that you're not "Traveling to a single place of work" for Insurance purposes.
I appreciate you're Part Time, and don't want to attract any Flak, but you must tell your "New" DOM that you need to finish at "X" time and can't work any longer. DO NOT mention "Cutting Off" (Yes we call it that but it really sets a fuse up the DOMs arse) just explain you need to be at home for whatever reason and ask him what HE want's to do about it.
Unfortunately most Offices will not appreciate that you're there to help them out with their workload. You will inevitably get the Worst Duty in the Office and it will often have a backlog of a few days Households piled on the floor and probably a few loops left from the day before, which weren't delivered. Although they promise you it'll be prepted...it never is. Don't take this as a personal challenge to put right. Simply tell the DOM you have to finish on time and let him sort the mess out. Good Luck!
To summarise: You can make it as difficult, or as easy, as you like for your DOM. Depending on IF YOU WANT the extra Overtime. You can NEVER be forced to work over your contracted hours or use your own transport. In a Worse Case Scenario your Time should start when you clock on at your Office. Then they should drive you over to the other office, and return you to your office were your time will stop!
Best Case Scenario (For RM) is to negotiate T&S (Travel & Subsistence)payments, which are quite generous, and paid per mile(IF you want to use your car). You could try for traveling time but most DOMs will only go for one or the other. Take the T&S it's Tax Free and works out better (For You). You could negotiate to start at the other Office, if it suits you i.e you live in that area. And it would short circuit any claims that you're not "Traveling to a single place of work" for Insurance purposes.
I appreciate you're Part Time, and don't want to attract any Flak, but you must tell your "New" DOM that you need to finish at "X" time and can't work any longer. DO NOT mention "Cutting Off" (Yes we call it that but it really sets a fuse up the DOMs arse) just explain you need to be at home for whatever reason and ask him what HE want's to do about it.
Unfortunately most Offices will not appreciate that you're there to help them out with their workload. You will inevitably get the Worst Duty in the Office and it will often have a backlog of a few days Households piled on the floor and probably a few loops left from the day before, which weren't delivered. Although they promise you it'll be prepted...it never is. Don't take this as a personal challenge to put right. Simply tell the DOM you have to finish on time and let him sort the mess out. Good Luck!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
terry2972
- Posts: 482
- Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Cutting, when moving to another office
I go everywhere and get mileage and travelling time best was 200 miles in 3 days lol
-
rusty nails
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 52
- Joined: 02 Dec 2014, 16:30
- Gender: Male
Re: Cutting, when moving to another office
just demand to be transported there (your own car is off limits, insurance purposes), and also demand to be back at your home office bang on your finish time. I discovered this approach and haven't been sent elsewhere in months. Result.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Cutting, when moving to another office
terry2972 wrote:I go everywhere and get mileage and travelling time best was 200 miles in 3 days lol
-
Leebest112
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 27 Jan 2015, 16:23
- Gender: Male
Re: Cutting, when moving to another office
Ok thanks.
Is it right though, that there are normally walks available in my office but they are going to people on overtime
and then im being sent elsewhere?
Should the spares be put on a walk first? Then if theres any left afterwards, put them on overtime.
I want to have a moan about this to my manager but i know my contract says i may have to work in other offices
so im not sure if i can really argue.
I appreciate what you're saying about finishing and cutting at my normal time which i will definetly do but still would
prefer to work in my own office.
Is it right though, that there are normally walks available in my office but they are going to people on overtime
and then im being sent elsewhere?
Should the spares be put on a walk first? Then if theres any left afterwards, put them on overtime.
I want to have a moan about this to my manager but i know my contract says i may have to work in other offices
so im not sure if i can really argue.
I appreciate what you're saying about finishing and cutting at my normal time which i will definetly do but still would
prefer to work in my own office.
-
terry2972
- Posts: 482
- Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Cutting, when moving to another office
Cheshire why would I lie??? Ask true blue I go everywhere at a price. I am part-time so need the overtime
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Cutting, when moving to another office
66 miles a day ?terry2972 wrote:Cheshire why would I lie??? Ask true blue I go everywhere at a price. I am part-time so need the overtime
-
terry2972
- Posts: 482
- Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Cutting, when moving to another office
Yes it worked out at 90 pounds for the mileage and about 15hrs overtime for doing 1 walk so easy money lol
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Cutting, when moving to another office
He isn't lying, and to be frank at least he is an active member of this board that doesn't question others assertions based on a complete lack of knowledge that some do.arnold cheshire wrote:terry2972 wrote:I go everywhere and get mileage and travelling time best was 200 miles in 3 days lol
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Cutting, when moving to another office
Or 33 miles put and 33 back. I know Terry and I know some places where he has been 33 miles isn't the furthest he's traveled to another office.arnold cheshire wrote:66 miles a day ?terry2972 wrote:Cheshire why would I lie??? Ask true blue I go everywhere at a price. I am part-time so need the overtime
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: Cutting, when moving to another office
Nothing wrong with working out the maths to see if its worth it.
Everyone financial situation is different.
I worked out how much cash I needed and balanced it against how I felt after doing dockett.
Conversation went like this
"Stopping doing all dockett to achieve a better work life balance"
"If u don't want it plenty others do"
"Great you'll get the shifts covered"
2 months later sent to oh assist as deemed mentally different....my gp beat em to it lol
Now looking at going for ihr due to goosed feet.
I'll actually miss the bullying and harassment from em once I'm gone.
Bless em,they cant u derstand why I'm not scared of em or for my job.

Everyone financial situation is different.
I worked out how much cash I needed and balanced it against how I felt after doing dockett.
Conversation went like this
"Stopping doing all dockett to achieve a better work life balance"
"If u don't want it plenty others do"
"Great you'll get the shifts covered"
2 months later sent to oh assist as deemed mentally different....my gp beat em to it lol
Now looking at going for ihr due to goosed feet.
I'll actually miss the bullying and harassment from em once I'm gone.
Bless em,they cant u derstand why I'm not scared of em or for my job.
I won