Ive been off work today, woke up during the night with sickness and diahorrea. I phoned my boss at 5am and he said it was bad timing cos someone else had phoned in too and I needed to phone back a couple of hours later to see how I was which I did and actually felt worse. I think most of us have had these 24hr bugs so we know how crap and lethargic you feel.
I havent been sick for 4 months when I was off one day with gastro and was wondering what to expect when im back in on monday, ie do I need to fill any paperwork out or will nothing be said?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
24hr sickness and what to expect.
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
-
Surreypostie
- Posts: 999
- Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
- Gender: Male
Re: 24hr sickness and what to expect.
Welcome back interview and fill in a self certificate. All illnesses are treated as genuine, these bugs spread so hardly surprising somebody else has it also.
-
colcestrian
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 18 Sep 2008, 16:41
- Gender: Male
Re: 24hr sickness and what to expect.
I am also off work at the moment with the flu.What I would like to know is if I go over the 7 day self certificate period by one or two days without a doctors certificate what is the outcome? Is it loss of money for time off or are you taken down disciplinary road?
-
miles_peters
- Posts: 297
- Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
- Gender: Male
Re: 24hr sickness and what to expect.
everyone has time off from work cause of sickness from time to time, why would there be any cause to worry about ramifications? unless theres a pattern of persisant sickness theres no need to worry or feel guilty about having genuine time off due to sickness. health first always.
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Re: 24hr sickness and what to expect.
Any period of absence over the 7 days self certificate would be covered by a GP fit note for days that you are expected to be on duty. Failing to make contact with your line manager and giving a date of your return and any days of your absence not covered by a medical fit note your line manager could assess as unauthorised leave and could become a conduct code issue.colcestrian wrote:I am also off work at the moment with the flu.What I would like to know is if I go over the 7 day self certificate period by one or two days without a doctors certificate what is the outcome? Is it loss of money for time off or are you taken down disciplinary road?
The point is in this business always cover your rear end.
-
scotboyblue
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 42
- Joined: 25 Oct 2011, 21:08
- Gender: Male
Re: 24hr sickness and what to expect.
I know how u feel I've not been off sick for 3 years but been hit with same bug twice in 6 weeks.. Kids keep bringing them back from school.. Always made to feel guilty when u make that call in morning . Just concentrate on getting yourself better .
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: 24hr sickness and what to expect.
why did you phone dom at 5am what time does your duty start ? did he ask the other person to ring back a couple of hours later ? you dont have to keep phoning the dom every two hourspostiewhite wrote:Ive been off work today, woke up during the night with sickness and diahorrea. I phoned my boss at 5am and he said it was bad timing cos someone else had phoned in too and I needed to phone back a couple of hours later to see how I was which I did and actually felt worse. I think most of us have had these 24hr bugs so we know how crap and lethargic you feel.
I havent been sick for 4 months when I was off one day with gastro and was wondering what to expect when im back in on monday, ie do I need to fill any paperwork out or will nothing be said?
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Re: 24hr sickness and what to expect.
I was awake at that time and I thought it might be better to ring earlier so they have a better chance of getting cover earlier rather than phone say 30 mins before im due to start.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: 24hr sickness and what to expect.
was he at home at 5am ?postiewhite wrote:I was awake at that time and I thought it might be better to ring earlier so they have a better chance of getting cover earlier rather than phone say 30 mins before im due to start.