ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Looking for some advice

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Evenflow10
Posts: 9
Joined: 18 Apr 2012, 11:17
Gender: Male

Looking for some advice

Post by Evenflow10 »

I'm
Last edited by Evenflow10 on 17 Mar 2015, 08:29, edited 1 time in total.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Looking for some advice

Post by dvbuk55 »

Were you in a RM van, private car, on foot with/without a trolley, cycle or what.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Looking for some advice

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Firstly tell dom you are unfit to attend these meetings and then that's the end of them till you are, say you are willing to keep in regular phone contact that should suffice

As for warning you will trigger a review of the next stage of the attendance procedure. Emphasis on review. It is the DOMs decision at that review whether or not to issue the warning or not and accidents on delivery should normally be discounted. Emphasis on should.

Are you due any annual leave soon?
Evenflow10
Posts: 9
Joined: 18 Apr 2012, 11:17
Gender: Male

Re: Looking for some advice

Post by Evenflow10 »

Royal Mail van by myself.
Evenflow10
Posts: 9
Joined: 18 Apr 2012, 11:17
Gender: Male

Re: Looking for some advice

Post by Evenflow10 »

Thanks for that, I'll tell them that. I haven't picked my leave yet for this year because I've been off and I'm bottom of the list this year. I'm hoping the warning isn't too severe, but yeah I'm expecting it regardless.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Looking for some advice

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Read the attendance procedure in the download section. There it will detail the number of days and absences etc that trigger the various stages, it's not a your in trouble warning it's a set procedure for the number of days your off that take you up and down the 3 stages most posties have been on at least a stage 1 warning at some point in their careers
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32794
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Looking for some advice

Post by POSTMAN »

Disfuckinggusting,you screws! :cuppa
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Celtic warrior
Posts: 101
Joined: 10 Dec 2013, 16:23
Gender: Male

Re: Looking for some advice

Post by Celtic warrior »

If you get issued, and that's a big if, they cannot issue anything more than a 1st stage.
Please read the attendance agreement found in the download section and don't worry.

You cannot be issued anything higher no matter how long you have been off on sick leave as it is a clearly agreed national procedure and the DOM cannot pick and change bits to suit.

You will have triggered a stage warning but that doesn't mean it will be issued as accidents on duty are normally discounted.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: Looking for some advice

Post by rehabron »

Evenflow10 wrote:I'm currently off sick due to a van smashing into me on my way back to office, that was 6 weeks ago now. Doctor said I have a slipped disc, physio said its severe nerve damage. I've been told I'm getting a warning for my time off. That's what I expected but what I'm wondering is what's the level of warning they will give me? I'm still not fit and I have no idea when I'll be back. And having to go to into my office every week for these 5 minute meetings are a struggle for me, especially trying to sit and getting in and out of cars and not to mention the taxi fares!
For starters to be told you are getting a warning for your time off in advance of a meeting to discuss the reason for your absence is prejudicial and suggest if this statement has come from your first line manager that you get from your union rep a 2nd stage individual grievance form and send it in. This will be copied to ER Team at Pond Street, Sheffield who will appoint a manger of a higher level of authority to hear your complaint.
In relation to your van accident was their police involvement and if so you can request a copy of the police report hoping it says that you did not contribute towards the accident.
This is an RTA and there is a procedure for reporting to RM and an ERICA completed and this should have been completed by your first line manager for a risk assessment to be implemented.
An accident on duty if you have in no way contributed to the accident and there is no blameworthy on your part should be discounted from a stage notification.
Due to the diagnosis of your medical condition there is NO WAY that you should be instructed to attend the office for updates on your absence as there are other alternatives within the attendance procedure for remaining in contact such as mobile phone, land line e-mail etc but if line manger wants a face to face agree a time and day for him to come to your home as the continual traveling and his insistence to attend the office is assisting in aggravating your injury and is not beneficial to your recuperation. Anyway the taxi fares that you have been incurring should have been at company's expense and I would be reclaiming all your costs back.
Furthermore I would phone this line manager and ask for a re-referral to OH Assist where you can tell them of the circumstances you are enduring while off with this injury that is prolonging your recovery rate. You may find that OH Assist will support you with your complaint.
Is your rep on holiday because he should be right on top of this!!!
Evenflow10
Posts: 9
Joined: 18 Apr 2012, 11:17
Gender: Male

Re: Looking for some advice

Post by Evenflow10 »

Thanks for all the replies the advice has really set my mind at ease :thumbup
Last edited by Evenflow10 on 17 Mar 2015, 08:30, edited 1 time in total.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: Looking for some advice

Post by Darren Bent »

You will only get stage one warning, and it will end after 12 months from the stage warning issue. You will get full pay for first six months. Get well soon.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Looking for some advice

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Darren Bent wrote:You will only get stage one warning, and it will end after 12 months
6 months now
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
ScousePostie
Posts: 273
Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
Gender: Male

Re: Looking for some advice

Post by ScousePostie »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Darren Bent wrote:You will only get stage one warning, and it will end after 12 months
6 months now
Didn't want to start another thread so will post here. I started at RM in December 2014, at the beginning of this week I came back off sick after fracturing my arm after a cycle accident. I had three weeks off in total, one self certificated and two via doctors fit note. I have my stage one interview with my line manager tomorrow morning. As a triallist, I understand that 7 days in a 6 month period triggers this warning. Does this warning last for six months from the day I come back to work or does it last until my trial period ends? This was the only thing that I found confusing when I spoke to my line manager after returning to work.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Looking for some advice

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

chrismid259 wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Darren Bent wrote:You will only get stage one warning, and it will end after 12 months
6 months now
Didn't want to start another thread so will post here. I started at RM in December 2014, at the beginning of this week I came back off sick after fracturing my arm after a cycle accident. I had three weeks off in total, one self certificated and two via doctors fit note. I have my stage one interview with my line manager tomorrow morning. As a triallist, I understand that 7 days in a 6 month period triggers this warning. Does this warning last for six months from the day I come back to work or does it last until my trial period ends? This was the only thing that I found confusing when I spoke to my line manager after returning to work.
http://www.cwu.org/assets/_files/docume ... nce_Pr.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Page 10 shows the trialist limits.

As to when the stage starts it all depends on your rep/manager. Normally if done quickly its from the date of issue. However, if they drag their heels in issuiing it a case can be made to backdate the warning to the date you returned to work.

Unofrutanetly your trial can't end while you are on a warning so you trial period will be extended to the end of the warning.
No employee on trial should have his/her appointment confirmed whilst under
an Attendance Review
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
ScousePostie
Posts: 273
Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
Gender: Male

Re: Looking for some advice

Post by ScousePostie »

Thanks for your reply. That is a shame considering this is a genuine incident where I could not attend work.

I'll see what happens tomorrow.