ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Foreign Barcodes

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Mr Blonde
Posts: 337
Joined: 23 May 2007, 20:44

Foreign Barcodes

Post by Mr Blonde »

Lots of stuff coming in from China, with a "CN" on the end of the barcode.

Do you scan them and obtain a signature? I do.

My partner this week doesn't unless they have "Royal Mail signed for" on it.

What do you do?
tonytucker
Posts: 190
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 18:20
Gender: Male
Location: Essex now

Re: Foreign Barcodes

Post by tonytucker »

Mr Blonde wrote:Lots of stuff coming in from China, with a "CN" on the end of the barcode.

Do you scan them and obtain a signature? I do.

My partner this week doesn't unless they have "Royal Mail signed for" on it.

What do you do?
Just post them,be out all day otherwise no one gives a f**k about them
BRING IT BACK BRING IT BACK
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Foreign Barcodes

Post by datasaint »

What is the official guidance on this? As I've 739'd loads of these Chinese packets that come up needing a signature on the PDA, even tiny packets that could easily have been posted.

RM themselves say not to try DTN for international items that need a sig either.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Foreign Barcodes

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

tonytucker wrote:
Mr Blonde wrote:Lots of stuff coming in from China, with a "CN" on the end of the barcode.

Do you scan them and obtain a signature? I do.

My partner this week doesn't unless they have "Royal Mail signed for" on it.

What do you do?
Just post them,be out all day otherwise no one gives a f**k about them
with an attitude like that im surprised you even bother to try delivering any mail
glenfiddich
Posts: 1012
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15

Re: Foreign Barcodes

Post by glenfiddich »

zx135 wrote:
tonytucker wrote:
Mr Blonde wrote:Lots of stuff coming in from China, with a "CN" on the end of the barcode.

Do you scan them and obtain a signature? I do.

My partner this week doesn't unless they have "Royal Mail signed for" on it.

What do you do?
Just post them,be out all day otherwise no one gives a f**k about them
with an attitude like that im surprised you even bother to try delivering any mail
He doesn't he's a manager :left:
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4106
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Re: Foreign Barcodes

Post by ted_e_bear »

tonytucker wrote:
Mr Blonde wrote:Lots of stuff coming in from China, with a "CN" on the end of the barcode.

Do you scan them and obtain a signature? I do.

My partner this week doesn't unless they have "Royal Mail signed for" on it.

What do you do?
Just post them,be out all day otherwise no one gives a f**k about them
Well assuming you have to pay extra to get a signature someone might give a f@@k !
borgpicard
Posts: 486
Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:45
Gender: Male

Re: Foreign Barcodes

Post by borgpicard »

zx135 wrote:
tonytucker wrote:
Mr Blonde wrote:Lots of stuff coming in from China, with a "CN" on the end of the barcode.

Do you scan them and obtain a signature? I do.

My partner this week doesn't unless they have "Royal Mail signed for" on it.

What do you do?
Just post them,be out all day otherwise no one gives a f**k about them
with an attitude like that im surprised you even bother to try delivering any mail
and your either a manager or runner who comes in 2 hours early ?, the whole tier system of RM is , no one gives a f**k any more, from the top to the botton, its every man for themselves
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Foreign Barcodes

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Mr Blonde wrote:Lots of stuff coming in from China, with a "CN" on the end of the barcode.

Do you scan them and obtain a signature? I do.

My partner this week doesn't unless they have "Royal Mail signed for" on it.

What do you do?
Thirteen digits starting with two letters and ending with the two letter country code, scan it and the PDA tells you whether or not a signature is required. :thumbup
What possibly can be the problem with that ? :crazy:
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Foreign Barcodes

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

borgpicard wrote:
zx135 wrote:
tonytucker wrote:
Mr Blonde wrote:Lots of stuff coming in from China, with a "CN" on the end of the barcode.

Do you scan them and obtain a signature? I do.

My partner this week doesn't unless they have "Royal Mail signed for" on it.

What do you do?
Just post them,be out all day otherwise no one gives a f**k about them
with an attitude like that im surprised you even bother to try delivering any mail
and your either a manager or runner who comes in 2 hours early ?, the whole tier system of RM is , no one gives a f**k any more, from the top to the botton, its every man for themselves

I'm not a manager and don't accuse me of it again.

As for being a runner hmmmm let's see who is more likely to be the runner the guy not scanning them or me the one advocating doing the job properly. Don't know where you think I'm a runner from I have never made a comment about trying to get finished early. Check your facts before making stupid accusations
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12182
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Foreign Barcodes

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Cover your arse, if it has got a barcode with a number of a vaild format, scan it, if it needs a sig and no one in p739 it. With the packet scanning trial I don't think it'l be too many months until you have to scan every parcel anyway
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: Foreign Barcodes

Post by wabbithunta »

There's a woman on my delivery who gets these most weeks, and most of the times she's never in and I scan them and leave a P739.
Some of the time they don't need a signature, but I scan them just in case, because as at Christmas time they nearly all did, in one week she had about ten of them, all signed for!
I've got no idea what she's doing as details on them range from cheap jewellery to kids clothes, but her husband said she buys/sells on eBay.
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Foreign Barcodes

Post by Lounge Lizard »

wabbithunta wrote:There's a woman on my delivery who gets these most weeks, and most of the times she's never in and I scan them and leave a P739.
Some of the time they don't need a signature, but I scan them just in case, because as at Christmas time they nearly all did, in one week she had about ten of them, all signed for!
I've got no idea what she's doing as details on them range from cheap jewellery to kids clothes, but her husband said she buys/sells on eBay.
You've got no idea what she's doing and it's not our concern what she might be up to in the privacy of her own home. :no no :cuppa
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Foreign Barcodes

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

borgpicard wrote:
and your either a manager or runner who comes in 2 hours early ?, the whole tier system of RM is , no one gives a f**k any more, from the top to the botton, its every man for themselves
:mad :mad :mad


http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/community/rules.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just because someone has a different viewpoint or political position to you, it does not mean that they are a 'Manager' or a 'Union fanatic', any posts making such assumptions or generalisations will be pulled or amended and the poster warned.
Did not delete because your post was quoted.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Foreign Barcodes

Post by krussel »

I will fess up that if the packets fit through the letterbox I scan them but leave the name and sig blank. Yeah I know not correct and all that but I figure that the sender gets to know the item has been delivered. If they do not fit the letterbox then they have to sign or get a p739.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
rjack
Posts: 98
Joined: 26 Nov 2010, 09:42
Gender: Male
Location: wales

Re: Foreign Barcodes

Post by rjack »

krussel wrote:I will fess up that if the packets fit through the letterbox I scan them but leave the name and sig blank. Yeah I know not correct and all that but I figure that the sender gets to know the item has been delivered. If they do not fit the letterbox then they have to sign or get a p739.
How does the pda let you leave it blank ?