ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Returning to work after being on maternity leave

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
sbarry85
Posts: 1
Joined: 11 Mar 2012, 17:09
Gender: Female

Returning to work after being on maternity leave

Post by sbarry85 »

I am due to return to work in 6 weeks after being on maternity leave, I am a 25 hour reserve and I only know what I will be working on a weekly basis, this is going to be a problem from now as I need a childminder and need permanent days and times, where do I stand about working with a permanent or rotating day off? Or maybe work 25 hours over less days?? Thanks sam
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Returning to work after being on maternity leave

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Best advice is to get on to your equalities officer at Branch and read up on the Family Friendly working stuff in downloads.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
salomon
Posts: 52
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 21:18
Gender: Female

Re: Returning to work after being on maternity leave

Post by salomon »

Hi, I used to work as a childminder and do understand your problem but something worth offering a childminder is to pay a half rate retainer on the days you don't use but book every day, this is handy if you suddenly need childcare or offer to pay a higher hourly rate over the other days. It's only for a couple of years then you have nursery etc to contend with. Definitely worth trying to find a sympathetic childminder with a baby space. Have you started looking as I used to get booked up months in advance especially with babies.
It would be worth agreeing the same start time with the childminder as well as she may be doing a school run, or going to an activity.
You may find you are paying for a place to be kept open but it's usually still worth working and it's not for ever.