ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Advice about talking to local press/media please

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Reallywheelie
Posts: 14
Joined: 07 Jun 2014, 09:32
Gender: Female

Advice about talking to local press/media please

Post by Reallywheelie »

Hello all,

I've been a Postwoman for seven months now and, although I'm settling in nicely, I'm still unsure about some of Royal Mail's employee policies. So I was hoping you could help me with this issue:

I'm doing a big multi-event charity challenge this summer for Royal Mail's Charity of the Year: Stroke Association. I obviously want to raise as much money for the charity as possible, especially as Royal Mail will match-fund. I have thought about writing an article for my local community free newpaper and magazine to promote my challenge - but then I stopped myself because I don't know where Royal Mail stand on employees talking about their life as a postman/woman in the press.

For example:
Can I have a photo of me in my uniform (because this is how most people in my local community know me)?
Can I mention the rough area where I deliver and collect mail?
Do I need to seek permission from Royal Mail to publish anything where I mention them? And if, yes, who do I ask?

If you know about this sort of thing, or have any direct experience, I'd appreciate your help. I don't want to get sacked for try to help a charity!!

Finally, if you are interested, this is my charity challenge: https://www.sponsorme.co.uk/carolwalthe ... climb.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (stroke patients, their families and their carers will be grateful for any donations - every penny helps).

Many thanks.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: Advice about talking to local press/media please

Post by rehabron »

Reallywheelie wrote:Hello all,

I've been a Postwoman for seven months now and, although I'm settling in nicely, I'm still unsure about some of Royal Mail's employee policies. So I was hoping you could help me with this issue:

I'm doing a big multi-event charity challenge this summer for Royal Mail's Charity of the Year: Stroke Association. I obviously want to raise as much money for the charity as possible, especially as Royal Mail will match-fund. I have thought about writing an article for my local community free newpaper and magazine to promote my challenge - but then I stopped myself because I don't know where Royal Mail stand on employees talking about their life as a postman/woman in the press.

For example:
Can I have a photo of me in my uniform (because this is how most people in my local community know me)?
Can I mention the rough area where I deliver and collect mail?
Do I need to seek permission from Royal Mail to publish anything where I mention them? And if, yes, who do I ask?

If you know about this sort of thing, or have any direct experience, I'd appreciate your help. I don't want to get sacked for try to help a charity!!
I would run your idea with a senior manager first.
I don't think RM would appreciate the fact that you are advertising the areas where you delver and collect mail for obvious reasons.

Finally, if you are interested, this is my charity challenge: https://www.sponsorme.co.uk/carolwalthe ... climb.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (stroke patients, their families and their carers will be grateful for any donations - every penny helps).

Many thanks.
raged1999
Posts: 29
Joined: 10 Apr 2010, 17:38
Gender: Male

Re: Advice about talking to local press/media please

Post by raged1999 »

Get in touch with Royal Mail press office. We made a charity CD for a local child that was suffering from cancer. We raised £7000, but Royal Mail would not let the press take pictures of us without going through the press office. BBC eventually interviewed us in our yard... not indoors.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Advice about talking to local press/media please

Post by Lounge Lizard »

"Can I mention the rough area where I deliver and collect mail?" :shock:
Yes, but don't describe it as "rough". :Very Happy
Reallywheelie
Posts: 14
Joined: 07 Jun 2014, 09:32
Gender: Female

Re: Advice about talking to local press/media please

Post by Reallywheelie »

Oops - the perils of the English language! I thankfully work in a very nice area :)
I'll contact the Press Office. Thanks.