ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Attendance allowance

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
frankieboy
Posts: 303
Joined: 12 May 2008, 18:34

Attendance allowance

Post by frankieboy »

Do you think the Christmas bonus payment should be replaced with an attendance allowance over the year, plus increased if you have no sickness during that year. Once again straight after the Christmas pressure our office has been decimated with people going sick, and to add insult, it seems to be the same people time after time.
cloherty1976
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1236
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 12:16
Gender: Male
Location: The south

Re: Attendance allowance

Post by cloherty1976 »

Didn't crozier do this and we got over a thousand pounds. Bring it back I say!
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 5038
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
Gender: Male

Re: Attendance allowance

Post by baldrick »

cloherty1976 wrote:Didn't crozier do this and we got over a thousand pounds. Bring it back I say!
I got to within a couple of weeks of getting it, and it was scrapped. I should have taken a couple of weeks off sick. :mad
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Attendance allowance

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Yes some people take the piss with sick leave, but in the end it bites them back, especially if they really do come down with something and are close to, or on a stage.

Rewarding people for not taking sick leave looks good on paper, and if you are never sick its good on a personal basis. However, the drawback is that when people are genuinely sick with a communicable disease feel pressured to come in otherwise they might miss out on the prize/bonus, and then spread that diseases.

So its entirely reasonable to consider that rewarding people who don't go sick when they should, could actually increase sickness levels, after all we all know mangers who don't send even the sickest home, when its quite evident they should be.

In fact I disagree with this so much I may pull a sickie as a protest if they did bring it in.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Re: Attendance allowance

Post by Surreypostie »

Most companies that have an attendance bonus have it over a month or three. When you get older try going a whole year without ever being sick. Once you are out of the game if it were a year you could do as you please as you've already lost it. Personally I dislike going off sick, I get bored but if I am ill nothing is going to convince me to work, especially with the rounds being like they are now, you just do yourself more harm in the long run.