ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Part Time Reserve

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
CABANA83
Posts: 34
Joined: 06 May 2013, 14:02
Gender: Male

Part Time Reserve

Post by CABANA83 »

I work 20 hours a week. For the majority of the last year I had the same 2 days off every week, this was ideal for me as it was easily to plan ahead etc.

Now for the past month Ive been put on random jobs and being given random/different days off. I don't get told my rdo for next week until friday at the earliest. I have spoken to my lino saying I need to know my RDO's earlier due to childcare issues etc and when Ive said I cant work such and such a day the reply was 'you work for Royal Mail you do as we say', 'we need you in these days and there nothing we can do'

Ive had one Saturday off since February and when Ive asked my rep for help about this is reply is always 'your a reserve, Saturdays are when you are needed most blah blah blah' especially since theyve been changing my rdos but still wont give a Saturday off.

I work 20 hours a week but am I at Royal Mail beck and call 6 days a week?

I know Im a reserve (the lino or union rep never forget to tell me) but is it fair that most posties can plan for an rdo a month/year in advance where I cant in most cases until the Saturday before the next week.

Getting aggro at home because the Wife thinks Im being made a mug of and Im finding myself constantly putting on family members at the last minute with regards to childcare issues.
Last edited by CABANA83 on 14 Jan 2015, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Part Time Reserve

Post by Dorset Plodder »

You're not alone mate...Most Reliefs/Reserves get mucked about....I get sick of hearing the DOM spouting out the same "Reasonable Request" BS. I'm sure it's just because they can't organise a bun fight in a baker's shop! :arrrghhh

The Doctor and Dentist's Receptionists just couldn't believe that I couldn't tell them what day I had off at certain times! :shock:

Unfortunately I think the easiest (?) option is just to try and explain it the DOM and ask for as much notice as possible if he wants to move you around.The Duties Forecast is possible to do... Correctly..... as when we have a DOM Support Guy doing it he manages to put up the whole of next month! :shock:
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Part Time Reserve

Post by chrisj »

The biggest concern here is not knowing what days you are working.

What sort of contract is this? 20 hours - but any times or days of our choosing. Very exploitative!
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Part Time Reserve

Post by Dorset Plodder »

We used to have 20 hour contracts in our DO. They basically had 4 hours a day...purely Delivery Only! Their Duty was prepped and bagged up by FTers (ironically often on OT) with all the usual problems...Monster sized bundles....thrown in anyhow.... pick & mix of packets just stuffed in the pouch ! :no no

Totally exploitative as you say Chris, but what do you expect from RM? A slight improvement was when they let them go up to 24 Hour Contracts...that was three 8 hour days, at least they could something else on the other days they weren't working. 4 hours five times a week just screws up your entire week! :thumbdown
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
CABANA83
Posts: 34
Joined: 06 May 2013, 14:02
Gender: Male

Re: Part Time Reserve

Post by CABANA83 »

chrisj wrote:The biggest concern here is not knowing what days you are working.

What sort of contract is this? 20 hours - but any times or days of our choosing. Very exploitative!
Exactly, they dictate my whole week. Some weeks they have me in 3 days (6.40 a day) and others in for 4 days (5 hours a day).

Some weeks Im texting/phoning the line manager Saturday afternoon for confirmation of what Im on next week. Its beyond stressful some weeks.

Im not a troublemaker but I do things by the book (dont go a minute over time, take a break even on a 5 hour shift). They have tried to send me home some days saying I wasnt needed but I refuse.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: Part Time Reserve

Post by Darren Bent »

IT is s**t and have an word with area rep of CWU. You are entitled to 1 in 4 saturday off. Union rep are sometimes too close to management in certain office, while area rep are not, so they are better balanced.