ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Quick fix for Shin Splint?
-
Stormproof
- Posts: 6116
- Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Quick fix for Shin Splint?
Anyone got any knowledge of Shin Splints? I get them a couple of times a year but nothing like the pain I'm having today. Noticed the start of it on my 1st loop this morning, by the time I got to loop 6 I could barely walk and the pain is spreading towards my ankle. Going off sick is not an option.
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum
-
Animalkit
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 19 Jun 2013, 23:08
- Gender: Male
Re: Quick fix for Shin Splint?
Micropore tape tightly wrapped around about 2 inches below the knee
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Quick fix for Shin Splint?
ice and elevation, and bandage tightly when working
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: Quick fix for Shin Splint?
Also try different footwear as well as strapping it up.
Contact NHS 24 about meds.
I also use a massager
Contact NHS 24 about meds.
I also use a massager
I won
-
Rumple
- Posts: 429
- Joined: 20 Nov 2013, 10:45
- Gender: Male
Re: Quick fix for Shin Splint?
Shorten your stride length. It'll add time to your duty but definitely worked for me.
-
doorstepped
- Posts: 1063
- Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
- Gender: Male
- Location: Somewhere west of London
Re: Quick fix for Shin Splint?
warm up your calf muscles before you start your walk.
stand on a kerbstone facing away from the road with your heels over the kerb balancing on your toes only.
gentle lower your heel and try and touch the roadway, alternate legs for 20 reps, slowly, it will stretch your calf muscles and stop then contracting so much as to pull on the shin.
stand on a kerbstone facing away from the road with your heels over the kerb balancing on your toes only.
gentle lower your heel and try and touch the roadway, alternate legs for 20 reps, slowly, it will stretch your calf muscles and stop then contracting so much as to pull on the shin.
-
Treacle12
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 14 Dec 2013, 17:07
- Gender: Male
Re: Quick fix for Shin Splint?
Its an overuse injury so rest is important .As mentioned try a different shoe if possible . There are several strengthening exercises you can do to help
-
loverman shabba
- Posts: 238
- Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 15:15
- Gender: Male
Re: Quick fix for Shin Splint?
amputation 
-
saddlerposty
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 248
- Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 18:20
- Gender: Male
Re: Quick fix for Shin Splint?
had it a few years back, its a swelling on the sheath that covers the tendons, hence the proper name tendonitis, until the swelling goes down (oh er missus
) it wont get any better, if going sick isn't an option then your in for a sore crimbo, it needs rest and ice ice baby.
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Quick fix for Shin Splint?
R.I.C.E
Rest, Ice,compression and elevation.
Unfortunately rest is going to have the best effect in the healing
Rest, Ice,compression and elevation.
Unfortunately rest is going to have the best effect in the healing
-
Stormproof
- Posts: 6116
- Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Re: Quick fix for Shin Splint?
Thanks for the info guys. Rested it over night and it was'nt as painful today. Informed a LM this morning as soon as I got in that it may cause me to cut off my duty early, the response I got I may as well of talked to a brick wall! I'm sure its the s**t footwear we have to wear that has caused it.
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum
-
mattyj
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 13 Dec 2012, 16:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Quick fix for Shin Splint?
You using magnums by any chance? They have me shin splints a few years ago. I weighed them and hiking boots I use to walk my dog, the magnum weighed nearly 3 times as much as my own boots. Trying to get that through to a manager tho 