ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Report an accident?
-
deristrong
- Posts: 195
- Joined: 15 Nov 2013, 09:28
- Gender: Male
Report an accident?
Yesterday slipped and went arse over tit on concrete steps. Got cuts grazes and bruised ribs. Was on P&L with a new fella so got back late-ish. It's my day off today so hoped I'll recover. Should I still say something or forget it? It hurts when I laugh or cough and a sneeze doesn't bear thinking about.
-
ratchet
- Posts: 210
- Joined: 03 Dec 2012, 13:12
- Gender: Male
- Location: Buggered off to France
-
daveallum
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 175
- Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 17:42
- Gender: Male
Re: Report an accident?
I would report it as it sounds like you may have a fractured rib or two,my son did the same some weeks ago although he was able to work (desk job) but has kept him off from doing sport etc.deristrong wrote:Yesterday slipped and went arse over tit on concrete steps. Got cuts grazes and bruised ribs. Was on P&L with a new fella so got back late-ish. It's my day off today so hoped I'll recover. Should I still say something or forget it? It hurts when I laugh or cough and a sneeze doesn't bear thinking about.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Report an accident?
This sounds like the symptoms I had after my van accident last December. The belt crushed my chest and it was 2 weeks before I could cough and 6 before I could sneeze - and I had NO broken ribs (somehow.) You have internal bruising by the sound of it and it a takes while to get better. I would see your GP and get signed off or a least checked.deristrong wrote:Yesterday slipped and went arse over tit on concrete steps. Got cuts grazes and bruised ribs. Was on P&L with a new fella so got back late-ish. It's my day off today so hoped I'll recover. Should I still say something or forget it? It hurts when I laugh or cough and a sneeze doesn't bear thinking about.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Report an accident?
You should report it, enter it into the accident book and the steps need to be risk assessed. You may suffer after effects, hopefully not but better safe than sorry.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Report an accident?
If it wasn't the van that 'went arse over tit' I wouldn't bother reporting it.deristrong wrote:Yesterday slipped and went arse over tit on concrete steps. Got cuts grazes and bruised ribs. Was on P&L with a new fella so got back late-ish. It's my day off today so hoped I'll recover. Should I still say something or forget it? It hurts when I laugh or cough and a sneeze doesn't bear thinking about.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16692
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Report an accident?
If you have an accident on delivery - you report it.
That address needs to be flagged up as a potential hazard or the next time it could be much worse.
If you have a near miss on delivery - you report it.
That address needs to be flagged up as a potential hazard or the next time it could be much worse.
If you have a near miss on delivery - you report it.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Report an accident?
Report it when you go back in. You will need to fill out an ERICA with the manager. Also if the slip was a result of a un even or slippery steps the address should be added to the WRAP.
Make sure you a wearing proper RM foot wear when you report the accident as the manager will prob check.
Make sure you a wearing proper RM foot wear when you report the accident as the manager will prob check.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
beezet
- Posts: 93
- Joined: 06 Dec 2013, 18:56
- Gender: Male
Re: Report an accident?
I wouldn't report it , went over angle at door step, cut finger, blood allover letters, will not report it as last time when i fell down a flight of stairs because of new trainers,was made to feel that it was my fault untill i managed to get trainers tested by DOM on a wet surface.
-
Himaggen
- Posts: 993
- Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40
Re: Report an accident?
It is your obligation to report all accidents 'as soon as possible', as a result of you not doing so, you will be told you are not allowed to report it as an accident.
You will be threatened, and may be charged, with 'conduct' if you try to exercise your right to report it.
Your manager will tell you that they cannot report it now, because the ERICA has to be done within 24 hours.
If you push it they may try to suggest it was an "incident" or "near miss".
Both of the above are incorrect, but you decide if your failure is now worth the fight.
if you decline others may suffer due to controls not being in place as a result of a properly reported and investigated accident.
You will be threatened, and may be charged, with 'conduct' if you try to exercise your right to report it.
Your manager will tell you that they cannot report it now, because the ERICA has to be done within 24 hours.
If you push it they may try to suggest it was an "incident" or "near miss".
Both of the above are incorrect, but you decide if your failure is now worth the fight.
if you decline others may suffer due to controls not being in place as a result of a properly reported and investigated accident.