ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

footwear question

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
kirstyx
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 147
Joined: 24 Jul 2012, 16:45
Gender: Female

footwear question

Post by kirstyx »

we are now being told that when we want to have a new pair of shoes that at the same time we pick the new ones up from the office we have to hand our old ones over at the same time. i just wondered if anyone knows if this is an official thing or not as i remember in previous briefs being told not to wear the new footwear immediatly on delivery and to wear them in first. does anyone know if this can be enforced or not. thanks
lala
Posts: 189
Joined: 19 Oct 2012, 19:57
Gender: Male

Re: footwear question

Post by lala »

What a load of rubbish that rule is. I have a couple of weeks where I wear both to get used to the new footwear.
kirstyx
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 147
Joined: 24 Jul 2012, 16:45
Gender: Female

Re: footwear question

Post by kirstyx »

lala wrote:What a load of rubbish that rule is. I have a couple of weeks where I wear both to get used to the new footwear.

Thanks that exactly what i normally do but this came into effect while i was off with knee problems i come back to be given anvil trainers i wore them for 2 days and said i couldnt wear them as they crippled me but the manager wont order more until i give the anvil trainers back which i keep forgetting to do. ideally what i want is something in writing to say he is talking out of his butt like we all know
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4105
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Re: footwear question

Post by ted_e_bear »

I phoned the uniform dept myself as I got some yds trainers and they didn't fit right, got someone normal on the phone who sent me some anvils, they said get Dom to send the others back as you get a quota of 2 pairs per year, was quite understanding when I explained I'd ask manager to return them but was worried as I knew he wouldn't actually bother.

So yeah just ring em and explain what problem is.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: footwear question

Post by NewPostieUK »

Officially (I'm sure it was in the Courier a few months ago), you are supposed to order your new boots in plenty of time. That means before your old ones are totally ruined. Handing them back whilst they are still wearable would be a waste. Showing them to your DOM I can understand, but not handing them over. I spend weeks breaking in my new boots (but then again, I always get Docs) so there's no way that would work for me.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: footwear question

Post by arnold cheshire »

our dom said he would photograph all worn out uniform when you order new unform
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Re: footwear question

Post by Surreypostie »

I wear magnum boots, lucky if they last 2 months, go to see the DOM and show them they are wearing out, new ones ordered and as often as needed. So long as they authorise it not a problem.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: footwear question

Post by dvbuk55 »

kirstyx wrote:
lala wrote:What a load of rubbish that rule is. I have a couple of weeks where I wear both to get used to the new footwear.

Thanks that exactly what i normally do but this came into effect while i was off with knee problems i come back to be given anvil trainers i wore them for 2 days and said i couldnt wear them as they crippled me but the manager wont order more until i give the anvil trainers back which i keep forgetting to do. ideally what i want is something in writing to say he is talking out of his butt like we all know
Well just remember to hand them back and the problems solved. What footwear did you have before you went sick?
hampshireman
Posts: 792
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
Gender: Male

Re: footwear question

Post by hampshireman »

micksurrey wrote:I wear magnum boots, lucky if they last 2 months, go to see the DOM and show them they are wearing out, new ones ordered and as often as needed. So long as they authorise it not a problem.
Don't understand why you have to see the DOM and he/she orders. I just call the Uniform Helpline when I need something. I normally get whatever within a week. I find the Helpline excellent
kirstyx
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 147
Joined: 24 Jul 2012, 16:45
Gender: Female

Re: footwear question

Post by kirstyx »

Unfortunately we have a fairly new line manager who over manages everyone its ridiculous. Ive never before had an issue with ordering footwear that wasnt the issue if you read my original post it was asking if we have to hand over old footwear before being given the new ones so we dont have time to break them in before wearing for a full shift. Whe i went sick we were still using the cat trainers
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Re: footwear question

Post by Surreypostie »

hampshireman wrote:
micksurrey wrote:I wear magnum boots, lucky if they last 2 months, go to see the DOM and show them they are wearing out, new ones ordered and as often as needed. So long as they authorise it not a problem.
Don't understand why you have to see the DOM and he/she orders. I just call the Uniform Helpline when I need something. I normally get whatever within a week. I find the Helpline excellent

Because you have an allowance, once you exceed that it needs a manager to authorise it. I have around 4 pairs of magnums a year.