ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Van Sharing - not being paid overtime.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jordanparker92
Posts: 13
Joined: 08 Jun 2014, 17:36
Gender: Male

Van Sharing - not being paid overtime.

Post by Jordanparker92 »

I'm on a 25 hour contract and I'm currently being moved all around the office on different jobs different days recently. My Town I work currently hasenr had the revision, so I just use my own car when I can but the last 2 weeks I've been on mainly van sharing jobs going in early in the morning to prep the job, then out to deliver but I've been going over most days and also not having any break at all. I text my managers what time I finish and I haven't had a break e.g & that can you please sort out my overtime ..

Looked at my payslip today .. What a surprise 1 hour overtime for the whole week! Going to start refusing doing these jobs as Im always being done!
Scotland1
Posts: 180
Joined: 06 Sep 2013, 16:17
Gender: Female

Re: Van Sharing - not being paid overtime.

Post by Scotland1 »

R u mental, why go in early, why no take ur break, why work over if u don't get paid for it, go in on time, take ur break either before u go out or on delivery, if u want to go over speak to manager BEFORE u go out saying u will be over and u want paid overtime for it, if he says ok then fine if not leave it in office, do not take it out, if he hasn't paid ur correct overtime then speak to ur rep, and put a grievance in against ur manager, and refuse to do it until u get what ur due, hope this helps
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Van Sharing - not being paid overtime.

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Just to clarify - only leave it in the office if the manager instructs you to do that.

Read up on the correct procedure here http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... overunning" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - I doubt your manager will follow it completeley - but its better if you do.

Oh, and Image
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Sidley
Posts: 653
Joined: 16 Jun 2012, 22:01
Gender: Male

Re: Van Sharing - not being paid overtime.

Post by Sidley »

The overrunning delivery procedure goes like this... Inform the screws that you may go over your time as soon as you realise that this is likely. Let them decide if they will pay you overtime or how much you post you can leave in. Don't let them fob you off or bullshit you with attempts to bank hours etc. no money no overtime.
They'll probably chat some guff about you not informing them you were going to go over your time prior to leaving on delivery as an excuse not to pay you past overtime you have accrued. The decision whether to persue payment for the time you worked over your finishing time or just refuse to go over from now on is down to you.

Personally, they wouldn't get the steam off my sh*t never mind a single minute over my time, if they pulled this bollocks.
enskied
Posts: 1877
Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
Gender: Male

Re: Van Sharing - not being paid overtime.

Post by enskied »

Jordanparker92 wrote:I'm on a 25 hour contract and I'm currently being moved all around the office on different jobs different days recently. My Town I work currently hasenr had the revision, so I just use my own car when I can but the last 2 weeks I've been on mainly van sharing jobs going in early in the morning to prep the job, then out to deliver but I've been going over most days and also not having any break at all. I text my managers what time I finish and I haven't had a break e.g & that can you please sort out my overtime ..

Looked at my payslip today .. What a surprise 1 hour overtime for the whole week! Going to start refusing doing these jobs as Im always being done!
Big no no to use your own car... You are technically driving uninsured.
Rcraig
Posts: 6
Joined: 21 Oct 2014, 10:15
Gender: Male

Re: Van Sharing - not being paid overtime.

Post by Rcraig »

We don't even get overtime pay at our office, they refuse and say u make it back on Tuesday or Wednesday
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: Van Sharing - not being paid overtime.

Post by Postie45 »

Rcraig wrote:We don't even get overtime pay at our office, they refuse and say u make it back on Tuesday or Wednesday
id refuse to stay out.
bigbazza
Posts: 113
Joined: 15 Feb 2010, 19:28
Gender: Male

Re: Van Sharing - not being paid overtime.

Post by bigbazza »

NO BANKING OF HOURS.
If the line managers don't give you enough work to take you to your time on any day.
And then you make a bit of time that's hard luck on the manager.
There's no clawing back any time all they can do is ask you to be FLEXIBLE but you DON'T have to work past your time.
fencer39
Posts: 1
Joined: 21 Oct 2014, 21:56
Gender: Male

Re: Van Sharing - not being paid overtime.

Post by fencer39 »

Heres a situation that happened to me on my 3rd week .....have been in now for 6 weeks.

i am contracted for 30 hours . after just a few days it was obvious that nobody takes their meal break !

On my time sheet I am due to finish at 1.15 pm on a monday and tuesday this is mostly acheivable if I dont stop for meal

Wednesdays and thursdays are alot heavier. I have 1 of those bloody trolley things that when full weighs in at 120kg .somedays more if bags.
I have a drop point too but its in the wrong place about 1/3 the way around my route

Anyway this 1 wednesday i had so much stuff i had a full trolley and 3 bags. I told the manager that i would go over my time but i had to go for definate at 2.45

When i get back to depot with undelivered mail im told to put bundles on my frame.
Following morning there is somebody putting the returns into my frame and i have to do that days .
So i have even more than the day before.....Again i tell manager that I will go over but I have to be back at 2.45 again.

Again i dont complete and as im running really late And I tried 4 times to ring the depot t and they never answered I parked my trolley at the frame and did a quick exit.
The following morning I'm ushered in to the managers office and give a bolloking. and told if i hadnt been a newbie I would have been shown the door !

Wtf??

I thought it was their responsibility to get it delivered if i cut off ??
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Van Sharing - not being paid overtime.

Post by wannabeek »

Did you ask him what else he expected you to do? You had notified him of the time you had to be done by, which included extending beyond your finish time, so being reasonable in my opinion. You attempted to contact the office for instructions, then brought back what you couldn't deliver. I see no fault on your part there, other than not notifying somebody upon your return just how much was left. You say this was 3 weeks ago - has the situation improved now?

It is their responsibility to get the mail delivered, it's your responsibility to work at an acceptable standard for the hours you are supposed to. That's where they can turn into gits because their idea of acceptable standards are often pretty poor!
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: Van Sharing - not being paid overtime.

Post by Darren Bent »

Ask your fellow posties who is the union rep and ask him/her for their help to deal with Management. The rep know how to fight them, while management probably hope you give up and go away quietly and rub their hand on saving they made for their bonus.