ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
New post lady! Few questions...
-
fay_elizabeth
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 08 Oct 2014, 12:53
- Gender: Female
New post lady! Few questions...
Hi Guys!
So, I am starting as a post lady on Wednesday in Westbury-on-trym (Bristol) on a 24 hour, 6 month contract and I am super excited but also super nervous! I just have a few random questions that I hoped someone might be able to answer for me.
I'm keen to go for the shorts option with uniform as I am not a fan of the trousers. Does anyone know if you are allowed to wear tights underneath them? Random question I know! Also, are you allowed to wear wellies? I think they are the only waterproof footwear I have.
Another thing, my training day tomorrow is in Swindon, can I claim back the travel expenses? It says I have to be there by 9am or I'll be turned away at the door. This means leaving my house at 6am, getting a bus, a train and a taxi! If I'm late, will I really get turned away?
One last question - When you guys say 'cut off' when on your round, what does this mean?
So, I am starting as a post lady on Wednesday in Westbury-on-trym (Bristol) on a 24 hour, 6 month contract and I am super excited but also super nervous! I just have a few random questions that I hoped someone might be able to answer for me.
I'm keen to go for the shorts option with uniform as I am not a fan of the trousers. Does anyone know if you are allowed to wear tights underneath them? Random question I know! Also, are you allowed to wear wellies? I think they are the only waterproof footwear I have.
Another thing, my training day tomorrow is in Swindon, can I claim back the travel expenses? It says I have to be there by 9am or I'll be turned away at the door. This means leaving my house at 6am, getting a bus, a train and a taxi! If I'm late, will I really get turned away?
One last question - When you guys say 'cut off' when on your round, what does this mean?
-
centenaryman
- Posts: 512
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
- Gender: Male
Re: New post lady! Few questions...
can answer 2 points for you,,,,,,r.m health and safety are supposed to supply footwear on your 1st day....(supposed)...I wouldn't ever want to walk round for 4-5 hrs in wellies...
don't worry about cut off just yet,,,,you should be trained up at 1st,,,few days out with a regular postman.......cut off is not being able to complete your full duty in the allotted hours,,,,so you have to cut off if you don't want to work over
don't worry about cut off just yet,,,,you should be trained up at 1st,,,few days out with a regular postman.......cut off is not being able to complete your full duty in the allotted hours,,,,so you have to cut off if you don't want to work over
-
rhino49
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1644
- Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: At home with my feet up
Re: New post lady! Few questions...
Shorts and tights is the same as socks and sandals - the fashion police will get you lol.
Don't say "Super" in the office !!!
Don't say "Super" in the office !!!
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
-
oldrope
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 221
- Joined: 27 Oct 2007, 16:17
- Location: lapland
Re: New post lady! Few questions...
fay_elizabeth wrote:Hi Guys!
So, I am starting as a post lady on Wednesday in Westbury-on-trym (Bristol) on a 24 hour, 6 month contract and I am super excited but also super nervous! I just have a few random questions that I hoped someone might be able to answer for me.
I'm keen to go for the shorts option with uniform as I am not a fan of the trousers. Does anyone know if you are allowed to wear tights underneath them? Random question I know! Also, are you allowed to wear wellies? I think they are the only waterproof footwear I have.
Another thing, my training day tomorrow is in Swindon, can I claim back the travel expenses? It says I have to be there by 9am or I'll be turned away at the door. This means leaving my house at 6am, getting a bus, a train and a taxi! If I'm late, will I really get turned away?
One last question - When you guys say 'cut off' when on your round, what does this mean?
To the 1st question yes I don't see why not
To the 2nd question don't know but ask at your training day ( keep all you tickets)
To the 3rd question cut off means if you reach your finish time befor you have delivered all the mail you cut off and bring it back to the office, but you need to tell your manager that you may need to cut off,
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: New post lady! Few questions...
Let me know if you do go for tights and shorts....I'll do it too
On a serious note its a great question and I'm not sure what the uniform code says on it,its worth checking it out.there's a search function here and it should be there for download.
Wellies will kill your feet...hiking boots/trainers will do until you get issued uniform.failing that wear old trainers and say goodbye to them in a fortnight.
Cutting off.....its a minefield or can be..there are many ways of saying it to your manager but download the opg cutting off on delivery guide first...it rocks.
And yes..don't say super/fab/yay etc
I do but I ain't normal

On a serious note its a great question and I'm not sure what the uniform code says on it,its worth checking it out.there's a search function here and it should be there for download.
Wellies will kill your feet...hiking boots/trainers will do until you get issued uniform.failing that wear old trainers and say goodbye to them in a fortnight.
Cutting off.....its a minefield or can be..there are many ways of saying it to your manager but download the opg cutting off on delivery guide first...it rocks.
And yes..don't say super/fab/yay etc
I do but I ain't normal
I won
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: New post lady! Few questions...
Ladies at my DO who wear shorts don't wear tights as they say its far too warm even in winter.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: New post lady! Few questions...
Yes I asked

All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: New post lady! Few questions...
- and that's not all you ask them.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Yes I asked![]()
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Re: New post lady! Few questions...
I understood that the rules regarding footwear had changed , just over 2 years ago, in that the D.O. was supposed to order them as soon as you started, due to the safety implications. So make sure you check that out as soon as you can. Mind you it has probably changed again since then.
-
fay_elizabeth
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 08 Oct 2014, 12:53
- Gender: Female
Re: New post lady! Few questions...
Oops, better quit now then.spiderj wrote: And yes..don't say super/fab/yay etc
-
Senior Service
- Posts: 185
- Joined: 19 Aug 2007, 18:34
Re: New post lady! Few questions...
You used to be able to get Royal Mail willies. I know because I have some.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: New post lady! Few questions...
someSenior Service wrote:You used to be able to get Royal Mail willies. I know because I have some.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
saddlerposty
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 248
- Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 18:20
- Gender: Male
Re: New post lady! Few questions...
tights under shorts are ok, but stockings will get you more tips come xmas 
-
fay_elizabeth
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 08 Oct 2014, 12:53
- Gender: Female
Re: New post lady! Few questions...
Ah good old sexism. Glad to see its rife amongst the RM ranks.saddlerposty wrote:tights under shorts are ok, but stockings will get you more tips come xmas
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: New post lady! Few questions...
Its mostly the old boys
Its all they remember about it lol
.....
Look at getting decent gloves for the winter too,I use liner gloves under leather
Looks mental but keeps my fingers warm
Royal mail half finger gloves don't do it for me.
Blister plasters too

Its all they remember about it lol
.....
Look at getting decent gloves for the winter too,I use liner gloves under leather
Looks mental but keeps my fingers warm
Royal mail half finger gloves don't do it for me.
Blister plasters too
I won