ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
"Christmas is the easiest 2 weeks of the year"
-
framusjsx
- Posts: 88
- Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 16:53
- Gender: Male
"Christmas is the easiest 2 weeks of the year"
A genuine word to word quote from our union rep this morning.. (on his once every 2 year visit)
I have to say I just laughed in his face.
What I wanted to know and had no sucess with here is:
Please can someone explain exactly what are the rules for xmas and cutting off?
Happy to do my fair share but I refuse to be out for 2 hours plus every day. No one will give me a straight forward answer.
I have to say I just laughed in his face.
What I wanted to know and had no sucess with here is:
Please can someone explain exactly what are the rules for xmas and cutting off?
Happy to do my fair share but I refuse to be out for 2 hours plus every day. No one will give me a straight forward answer.
-
Chelseablue
- Posts: 2222
- Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
- Gender: Female
Re: "Christmas is the easiest 2 weeks of the year"
We've noticed the doms bein more stressed,vocal and everything's our fault again . Oh that's right we've no staff,the place is already in a mess and christmas is cominggggggg .
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: "Christmas is the easiest 2 weeks of the year"
Exactly the same as the rest of the year, there is no difference.framusjsx wrote: Please can someone explain exactly what are the rules for xmas and cutting off?
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
malcolm3011
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 303
- Joined: 05 Aug 2010, 18:42
- Gender: Male
Re: "Christmas is the easiest 2 weeks of the year"
With our staffing situation looks like we will be lapsing right into Christmas, we need 4 extra staff and just been told we are only getting two. 
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Re: "Christmas is the easiest 2 weeks of the year"
Only lapse if you have time in your duty time.malcolm3011 wrote:With our staffing situation looks like we will be lapsing right into Christmas, we need 4 extra staff and just been told we are only getting two.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: "Christmas is the easiest 2 weeks of the year"
I found it to be an easy two weeks to be honest. We had packet duties doing out packets, so just took out letters and very small packets. There was however, friction. The person on packet duty took exception to the amount of packets I left. He said something like 'you are only meant to leave what you can't get in your bag'. I couldn't be bothered to argue, just told him to do whatever he had been told to do and if he had a problem see the manager.
I went over most days, but found doing hardly any packets to be quite stress free. I also found it easier to work to my time on the days I wanted to, I didn't need to explain myself, argue etc.
I went over most days, but found doing hardly any packets to be quite stress free. I also found it easier to work to my time on the days I wanted to, I didn't need to explain myself, argue etc.
-
dave72
- Posts: 415
- Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
- Gender: Male
Re: "Christmas is the easiest 2 weeks of the year"
I can't wait for Christmas, it will be like an house of cards falling around the dom's 
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12178
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: "Christmas is the easiest 2 weeks of the year"
Don't know about in DOs but in MCs xmas pressure actually kicks in around the beginning of November and by the middle of the official xmas pressure it's normally dropped right off apart from Tracked and Specials
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: "Christmas is the easiest 2 weeks of the year"
It used to be. The cards didn't make up for the lack of mail sort, and Internet shopping wasn't really around then. Once over the ground and home for 11, that was only a few years ago.
Now it's totally different, complete shite and cut offs most days. So in a way it is easy, as we get out so late we actually do less delivering.
Now it's totally different, complete shite and cut offs most days. So in a way it is easy, as we get out so late we actually do less delivering.
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: "Christmas is the easiest 2 weeks of the year"
That's the stupid thing, while MC's are on pressure with hundreds of temporary staff, we aren't and get no more office hours until December!SpacePhoenix wrote:Don't know about in DOs but in MCs xmas pressure actually kicks in around the beginning of November and by the middle of the official xmas pressure it's normally dropped right off apart from Tracked and Specials
-
Hitcher
- Posts: 1530
- Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
- Gender: Male
Re: "Christmas is the easiest 2 weeks of the year"
Christmas is great as I finish on my time and my partner does the rest as overtime.
-
rick184
- Posts: 62
- Joined: 22 Apr 2007, 21:10
Re: "Christmas is the easiest 2 weeks of the year"
I've noticed the flats tail off but the packets obviously increase. Not too bad if you have packet relief duties. Last year one from each van share went out early and got rid of some of the packets between 0700-0830.
-
Rory
- Posts: 90
- Joined: 09 Aug 2012, 12:42
- Gender: Male
Re: "Christmas is the easiest 2 weeks of the year"
Why chuck them ALL out? He was right to question you, you should take your fair share if you can fit them in your bag. You had an 'easy two weeks' at the expense of a fellow postie. Who has an easy Christmas, really?NewPostieUK wrote:I found it to be an easy two weeks to be honest. We had packet duties doing out packets, so just took out letters and very small packets. There was however, friction. The person on packet duty took exception to the amount of packets I left. He said something like 'you are only meant to leave what you can't get in your bag'. I couldn't be bothered to argue, just told him to do whatever he had been told to do and if he had a problem see the manager.
I went over most days, but found doing hardly any packets to be quite stress free. I also found it easier to work to my time on the days I wanted to, I didn't need to explain myself, argue etc.
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: "Christmas is the easiest 2 weeks of the year"
So who sorted the mail and threw the walks off? We are on IPS until after 8 every day at Christmas and regularly don't get out until 10.30. If half the office went out delivering packets we wouldn't get out of the office until after 11am. Nice short delivery thoughrick184 wrote:I've noticed the flats tail off but the packets obviously increase. Not too bad if you have packet relief duties. Last year one from each van share went out early and got rid of some of the packets between 0700-0830.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: "Christmas is the easiest 2 weeks of the year"
Because if I didn't then I'd have to leave letters instead, and the manager wasn't having that. I did more than my fair share, going over 30 -60 mins most days.Rory wrote: Why chuck them ALL out? He was right to question you, you should take your fair share if you can fit them in your bag.
No I didn't. He was doing his job, and finished on time every day.Rory wrote:You had an 'easy two weeks' at the expense of a fellow postie.