ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

attendance review

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
48ricks
Posts: 22
Joined: 12 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

attendance review

Post by 48ricks »

I was off sick last wk (5 days) - returned, had my back to work interview, today I have been handed 'invite to attendance review meeting'.
This has been triggered (apparently) because I have had 15 days absence in the last year.
Is this correct?
What are the likely implications of this meeting?
and
Is there anything I can use in my defense?
I mean, I find it difficult to understand when they (the company) count Sunday as a day of absence!
Really don,t want the dense, smug **** to get one over on me - could claim 5th amendment ,not sure that would wash!
centenaryman
Posts: 512
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
Gender: Male

Re: attendance review

Post by centenaryman »

youll more than likely end up on a "stage 1 warning* or some fancy name if they've change it,,,same diff.

it means for the next few months you have to keep a watch on your attendance,,,,they give you a letter with guidelines and how many sicks you are allowed.

they count sundays but.....if your every off for a few days and know youll be fit to return on a Monday,,,,,then ring them Saturday morn and tell them you are fit to return to work,,,,don't leave it till the mon or they count the sunday.

to go on a stage 1,,,at the moment isn't a big deal,,,,its if you on to a 2,,,through having too much sick that your close to the exit.....just keep ya sick leave clean if that's possible
framusjsx
Posts: 88
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 16:53
Gender: Male

Re: attendance review

Post by framusjsx »

how can they count the sunday if you dont work sundays...?
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: attendance review

Post by Lincox »

Thats Royal Mail for you. CWU looking after our interests :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
FinishOnTime
Posts: 153
Joined: 25 Apr 2013, 16:37
Gender: Male

Re: attendance review

Post by FinishOnTime »

The one thing you could use in your defence is that you were presumably had 10 days sick or perhaps 3 different absences before your latest time off. If that's the case, your manager should have approached you and arranged an informal meeting to warn you that you were close to triggering a formal stage interview and ask what could be done to support you in staying in work.

The vast majority of managers seem to think the informal interview is optional, but in the case of someone who's had a few absences without triggering a Stage 1 interview, it's pretty much mandatory according to the new Attendance Procedure. No doubt your manager will ignore all this, but it's certainly worth getting it noted in case you go any further down the formal procedure.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: attendance review

Post by rehabron »

48ricks wrote:I was off sick last wk (5 days) - returned, had my back to work interview, today I have been handed 'invite to attendance review meeting'.
This has been triggered (apparently) because I have had 15 days absence in the last year.
Is this correct?
What are the likely implications of this meeting?
and
Is there anything I can use in my defense?
I mean, I find it difficult to understand when they (the company) count Sunday as a day of absence!
Really don,t want the dense, smug **** to get one over on me - could claim 5th amendment ,not sure that would wash!
Assuming that your absenteeism record was clear prior to your 15 days absence last year then exceeding 14 days this would have triggered a formal absence review at that time so did you receive a 1st stage absence review?
If so then the latest absence of 5 days has not exceeded the standards RM require and this may just be an informal review meeting that your absence id giving cause for concern.
If you never received an attendance review meeting for the previous 15 days then it will be a formal attendance review 1st stage which is not mandatory and is left to the discretion of the interview manager.
Sundays are taken into account when assessing absence unless you have informed RM that you intend returning to work the previous week for a Monday start.
FinishOnTime
Posts: 153
Joined: 25 Apr 2013, 16:37
Gender: Male

Re: attendance review

Post by FinishOnTime »

rehabron wrote:
48ricks wrote:I was off sick last wk (5 days) - returned, had my back to work interview, today I have been handed 'invite to attendance review meeting'.
This has been triggered (apparently) because I have had 15 days absence in the last year.
Is this correct?
What are the likely implications of this meeting?
and
Is there anything I can use in my defense?
I mean, I find it difficult to understand when they (the company) count Sunday as a day of absence!
Really don,t want the dense, smug **** to get one over on me - could claim 5th amendment ,not sure that would wash!
Assuming that your absenteeism record was clear prior to your 15 days absence last year then exceeding 14 days this would have triggered a formal absence review at that time so did you receive a 1st stage absence review?
If so then the latest absence of 5 days has not exceeded the standards RM require and this may just be an informal review meeting that your absence id giving cause for concern.
If you never received an attendance review meeting for the previous 15 days then it will be a formal attendance review 1st stage which is not mandatory and is left to the discretion of the interview manager.
Sundays are taken into account when assessing absence unless you have informed RM that you intend returning to work the previous week for a Monday start.
From what the OP says, it's the latest absence of 5 days which has taken him up to 15 days in the last 12 months, and thereby triggered the formal interview.
Himaggen
Posts: 993
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40

Re: attendance review

Post by Himaggen »

First things first, make sure that your formal review is at least three days from the notice letter you received and that it includes your absence record, a copy of any ATOS reports and all documentation used to form the final decision. (that may mean your sick notes/certs, verified true accounts from your Welcome Back meetings and all support offered, accepted and provided by your employer including that which may have been offered as a result of the informal review discussion you should have had as a result of your 10 days absence prior to the latest one). Also do not accept the invitation without a Union representative being available to attend along side you.
Jamesethefirst
Posts: 146
Joined: 10 Dec 2013, 17:48
Gender: Male

Re: attendance review

Post by Jamesethefirst »

framusjsx wrote:how can they count the sunday if you dont work sundays...?
Sundays count everywhere,not just in this god forsaken hell hole. No idea why ,but that's the way it is.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: attendance review

Post by Postie45 »

48ricks wrote:I was off sick last wk (5 days) - returned, had my back to work interview, today I have been handed 'invite to attendance review meeting'.
This has been triggered (apparently) because I have had 15 days absence in the last year.
Is this correct?
What are the likely implications of this meeting?
and
Is there anything I can use in my defense?
I mean, I find it difficult to understand when they (the company) count Sunday as a day of absence!
Really don,t want the dense, smug **** to get one over on me - could claim 5th amendment ,not sure that would wash!
had them a few times, you`ll get a first stage warning.