ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Disillusioned already
-
billy44
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 01 Nov 2013, 09:12
- Gender: Male
Disillusioned already
5 months in and fed up of the rubbish we have to put up with.
I really did/do enjoy this job but a few things recently have cheesed me off.
So need some advice please on the best way to go about things.
I am part time on 30 hours and often do half walks to boost earnings, which I have been paid 3 hrs for as that's the norm in our office.
Got my payslip last week and I'm an hour short, questioned this with my manager and was told that it's now only 2.5 hrs for half a walk.
Now surely I should be informed of this before I agree to do the overtime?
That is going to be my argument and if in the future they ask me again I will say unless it's 3 hours I won't do it.
Or as I'm only 5 months in should I just take it as a lesson learned as I don't want to rock the boat.
I really did/do enjoy this job but a few things recently have cheesed me off.
So need some advice please on the best way to go about things.
I am part time on 30 hours and often do half walks to boost earnings, which I have been paid 3 hrs for as that's the norm in our office.
Got my payslip last week and I'm an hour short, questioned this with my manager and was told that it's now only 2.5 hrs for half a walk.
Now surely I should be informed of this before I agree to do the overtime?
That is going to be my argument and if in the future they ask me again I will say unless it's 3 hours I won't do it.
Or as I'm only 5 months in should I just take it as a lesson learned as I don't want to rock the boat.
-
rhino49
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1644
- Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: At home with my feet up
Re: Disillusioned already
Two and a half, three or whatever is a local implementation with no national agreement. You should be paid for the time it takes plus whatever break extension the additional time incurs. If the DOM says it should be done in two and a half and it takes four, then that is what you claim for and should expect to receive. If it is because you are slow he may not ask you again but that is a risk you take until you get quicker at the job.
On the other hand if you get back in two hours then that is all you are legally allowed to claim for - people being paid for doing nothing got us into this hole we are in ... but people working for nothing got us in deeper !!!
On the other hand if you get back in two hours then that is all you are legally allowed to claim for - people being paid for doing nothing got us into this hole we are in ... but people working for nothing got us in deeper !!!
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Disillusioned already
What are the rules regarding break extensions anyway, e.g. you work 12hrs?rhino49 wrote: You should be paid for the time it takes plus whatever break extension the additional time incurs.
-
rhino49
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1644
- Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: At home with my feet up
Re: Disillusioned already
30 minutes for a six hour duty, 40 minutes for an eight hour duty and then 10 minutes for each additional two hours I think - if you are working twelve hours then these breaks should be taken ... not just claimed for payment at the end.norm wrote:What are the rules regarding break extensions anyway, e.g. you work 12hrs?rhino49 wrote: You should be paid for the time it takes plus whatever break extension the additional time incurs.
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
-
Hitcher
- Posts: 1530
- Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
- Gender: Male
Re: Disillusioned already
Happens in our office as well.
OT for covering days off gets cut down but there's those greedy enough to do it so management get away with it. If everyone said 'no' to it they'd soon change it back.
OT for covering days off gets cut down but there's those greedy enough to do it so management get away with it. If everyone said 'no' to it they'd soon change it back.
-
coxie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1336
- Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
- Gender: Male
Re: Disillusioned already
4 hours for half a walk in our office it's what's agreed. I'd argue the act that you wasn't informed. They tried to reduce ours but nobody done overtime and the normal rate was back in less than a day.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Disillusioned already
8 hours? That's some walk.coxie wrote:4 hours for half a walk in our office it's what's agreed. I'd argue the act that you wasn't informed. They tried to reduce ours but nobody done overtime and the normal rate was back in less than a day.
-
freelunch
- Posts: 358
- Joined: 14 Oct 2012, 20:39
- Gender: Male
Re: Disillusioned already
Ours is 2.5 hrs for half a delivery inc large parcels so typically on a busy day those who've signed for it will be claiming extra the next morning.
Not surprisingly, not many volunteer for the extra work.
If you want extra work but are cheesed off with the cutbacks I'd suggest you offer to do quarter of the overtime duty for 1.5 hrs pay.
Work it with a friend for the same deal
- might make it easier for the manager to swallow.
Hopefully you'll at least get back to your 3hr standard for half a delivery by pricing your labour this way
Not surprisingly, not many volunteer for the extra work.
If you want extra work but are cheesed off with the cutbacks I'd suggest you offer to do quarter of the overtime duty for 1.5 hrs pay.
Work it with a friend for the same deal
Hopefully you'll at least get back to your 3hr standard for half a delivery by pricing your labour this way
"Everybody has a plan.. until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Disillusioned already
Your labour is already priced - 1 hours work = 1 hours pay.freelunch wrote:Ours is 2.5 hrs for half a delivery inc large parcels so typically on a busy day those who've signed for it will be claiming extra the next morning.
Not surprisingly, not many volunteer for the extra work.
If you want extra work but are cheesed off with the cutbacks I'd suggest you offer to do quarter of the overtime duty for 1.5 hrs pay.
Work it with a friend for the same deal- might make it easier for the manager to swallow.
Hopefully you'll at least get back to your 3hr standard for half a delivery by pricing your labour this way
-
freelunch
- Posts: 358
- Joined: 14 Oct 2012, 20:39
- Gender: Male
Re: Disillusioned already
Overtime being optional - a market where supply and demand kicks in when conditions allowdvbuk55 wrote:Your labour is already priced - 1 hours work = 1 hours pay.
"Everybody has a plan.. until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Disillusioned already
Strange that I don't recall that premise being in any agreement, national, local or by office - please point it out and I can show it to the members in my office who I'm sure will be only too happy to stick their neck on the line - because if management want an end to the blackmail all they need do is chop the head off someone and overnight the blackmail stops.freelunch wrote:Overtime being optional - a market where supply and demand kicks in when conditions allowdvbuk55 wrote:Your labour is already priced - 1 hours work = 1 hours pay.
-
freelunch
- Posts: 358
- Joined: 14 Oct 2012, 20:39
- Gender: Male
Re: Disillusioned already
Management, at least in our place, would not welcome an end to the blackmail. Far too many on 'deals' and 'favours'.dvbuk55 wrote:Strange that I don't recall that premise being in any agreement, national, local or by office - please point it out and I can show it to the members in my office who I'm sure will be only too happy to stick their neck on the line - because if management want an end to the blackmail all they need do is chop the head off someone and overnight the blackmail stops.
A P&L pairing go out on overtime and receive different rates of pay for the same work. Deals to be done, often individually.
"Everybody has a plan.. until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Disillusioned already
I'm hearing what you say but sooner or later who pays the piper will call the exact tune and not some paradiddle thought up by a manager to complete the work to save them from doing it - time is money and that time is going to have to be accounted for. Pity those claiming more time no matter at whose behest when the PDAs become truly operational better to get used to the idea now rather than face the music later.freelunch wrote:Management, at least in our place, would not welcome an end to the blackmail. Far too many on 'deals' and 'favours'.dvbuk55 wrote:Strange that I don't recall that premise being in any agreement, national, local or by office - please point it out and I can show it to the members in my office who I'm sure will be only too happy to stick their neck on the line - because if management want an end to the blackmail all they need do is chop the head off someone and overnight the blackmail stops.
A P&L pairing go out on overtime and receive different rates of pay for the same work. Deals to be done, often individually.
-
freelunch
- Posts: 358
- Joined: 14 Oct 2012, 20:39
- Gender: Male
Re: Disillusioned already
Agree with you though I wouldn't pity those getting the best deals. Management 'favourites' are the most protected yet extract the best deals often completing their 'overtime' in their normal duty time. Of course they're coming in early, omitting breaks, running round, etc. The one's to be shot down will be those who genuinely work all the hours they can - when some junior accountant in head office points out how much those guys' earned.dvbuk55 wrote:freelunch wrote:I'm hearing what you say but sooner or later who pays the piper will call the exact tune and not some paradiddle thought up by a manager to complete the work to save them from doing it - time is money and that time is going to have to be accounted for. Pity those claiming more time no matter at whose behest when the PDAs become truly operational better to get used to the idea now rather than face the music later.
"Everybody has a plan.. until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Disillusioned already
Well we all know that life's not fair freelunch and that's a fact.freelunch wrote:Agree with you though I wouldn't pity those getting the best deals. Management 'favourites' are the most protected yet extract the best deals often completing their 'overtime' in their normal duty time. Of course they're coming in early, omitting breaks, running round, etc. The one's to be shot down will be those who genuinely work all the hours they can - when some junior accountant in head office points out how much those guys' earned.dvbuk55 wrote:freelunch wrote:I'm hearing what you say but sooner or later who pays the piper will call the exact tune and not some paradiddle thought up by a manager to complete the work to save them from doing it - time is money and that time is going to have to be accounted for. Pity those claiming more time no matter at whose behest when the PDAs become truly operational better to get used to the idea now rather than face the music later.