ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Special Delivery help please
-
billy44
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 01 Nov 2013, 09:12
- Gender: Male
Special Delivery help please
Attempted a SD today but no one in so scanned etc,left card and about an hour later was collared by the person who it was for asking for their parcel.
Firstly I said that I couldn't give it to them on the street and they'd have to go back to the address,as I was in the middle of a loop and had 1 more to do I said I'd go back at 2 o'clock to give it them.
Anyway after asking my partner about rescanning it and it then being after 1 o'clock I decided to just take it back to the office as he said that if I scanned it after 1 it would fail even though I had already scanned it before 1?
Got back to the office and asked a workplace coach that said that I could have scanned it again after 1.
So,bit confused now,anyone know whether that's right or wrong please?
Firstly I said that I couldn't give it to them on the street and they'd have to go back to the address,as I was in the middle of a loop and had 1 more to do I said I'd go back at 2 o'clock to give it them.
Anyway after asking my partner about rescanning it and it then being after 1 o'clock I decided to just take it back to the office as he said that if I scanned it after 1 it would fail even though I had already scanned it before 1?
Got back to the office and asked a workplace coach that said that I could have scanned it again after 1.
So,bit confused now,anyone know whether that's right or wrong please?
-
cobberwebb
- Posts: 62
- Joined: 25 Sep 2013, 15:49
- Gender: Male
Re: Special Delivery help please
The first attempt is what matters, as long as that was before 1pm. Yes you could have returned to deliver that SD after 1pm. Also, if they had ID and the notice left card, I would have gave it to them on the street.
-
PhilthyPhil
- Posts: 1155
- Joined: 23 Nov 2007, 19:15
Re: Special Delivery help please
Are you sure? If this is the case what is to stop people from scanning all SDs as not delivered before 13:00 then delivering them at whatever time they please?!?cobberwebb wrote:The first attempt is what matters, as long as that was before 1pm. Yes you could have returned to deliver that SD after 1pm.
-
doorstepped
- Posts: 1063
- Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
- Gender: Male
- Location: Somewhere west of London
Re: Special Delivery help please
because the PDA logs where you scan it via it's GPS.
so would take customer services only a few seconds to know you were not at the address when you scanned it.
so would take customer services only a few seconds to know you were not at the address when you scanned it.
-
bluealbert
- Posts: 176
- Joined: 09 Mar 2011, 16:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Special Delivery help please
But on my rural the gps does not work no signaldoorstepped wrote:because the PDA logs where you scan it via it's GPS.
so would take customer services only a few seconds to know you were not at the address when you scanned it.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Special Delivery help please
just say its a time sensitive item and you can not give it them AFTER 1 pm 
-
paul1231
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 10 Mar 2014, 22:20
- Gender: Male
Re: Special Delivery help please
Quite often I scan the special in the van on my way to the first one as typically always seems to be on one of the later loops (my partner likes the order) so surely doesn't matter where its scanned?doorstepped wrote:because the PDA logs where you scan it via it's GPS.
so would take customer services only a few seconds to know you were not at the address when you scanned it.
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Special Delivery help please
Do you scan it as undelivered though?paul1231 wrote: Quite often I scan the special in the van on my way to the first one as typically always seems to be on one of the later loops (my partner likes the order) so surely doesn't matter where its scanned?
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Special Delivery help please
do you think he scans it as delivered ?Bahia Feliz wrote:Do you scan it as undelivered though?paul1231 wrote: Quite often I scan the special in the van on my way to the first one as typically always seems to be on one of the later loops (my partner likes the order) so surely doesn't matter where its scanned?
-
paul1231
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 10 Mar 2014, 22:20
- Gender: Male
Re: Special Delivery help please
Ha no, I just leave it on the signature screen for when we get there but suppose its more about where you scan it in the end rather then at the start but im sure people have scanned an item and forgot to send till later on when you get it out for the next item and realise you haven't properly sent the last one?Bahia Feliz wrote:Do you scan it as undelivered though?paul1231 wrote: Quite often I scan the special in the van on my way to the first one as typically always seems to be on one of the later loops (my partner likes the order) so surely doesn't matter where its scanned?
-
plaguelift
- Posts: 133
- Joined: 19 Apr 2011, 06:16
- Gender: Male
Re: Special Delivery help please
Cobberwebb is 100% correct. It is the first scan which is the important one. If you scan a SD as not delivered before 1pm and the customer catches up with you, you can re-scan it as delivered (with their signature of course) and it will be confirmed as delivered and DOES NOT fail. However you cannot do this with a tracked item which needs signed for. If you attempt to deliver a 'signature required' tracked item and theres no answer, scan it as not delivered and leave a card. If the customer catches up with you and you scan it as delivered (with signature) it will FAIL. You have to bring it back to the office, scan it as 'ready to collect' on the PDA.
PhilthyPhil also has a good point. I know some postmen/women who do scan all of their SD's as 'no answer' first thing in the morning so they can deliver them whenever they like (no breaking off a duty before 1pm). Special Deliveries never fail in this case, but it will only take one customer complaint to expose this 'laziness'.
PhilthyPhil also has a good point. I know some postmen/women who do scan all of their SD's as 'no answer' first thing in the morning so they can deliver them whenever they like (no breaking off a duty before 1pm). Special Deliveries never fail in this case, but it will only take one customer complaint to expose this 'laziness'.
-
cuddyhung
- Posts: 27
- Joined: 15 Apr 2014, 17:07
- Gender: Male
Re: Special Delivery help please
i know someone who scanned SD first thing as not delivered ,,no one home ,, they were caught and put on a 2 yr suspended
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Re: Special Delivery help please
Surely that cannot be correct about the tracked? Every so often I'll scan an item as 'no answer' and start walking away and then they come to the door as they heard the card's gone through, though couldn't hear the knock & ring. I don't believe any postie would say, "sorry luv, you didn't get to the door within 2 mins so I've gotta take it back to the office now!". That'd be just daft.plaguelift wrote:Cobberwebb is 100% correct. It is the first scan which is the important one. If you scan a SD as not delivered before 1pm and the customer catches up with you, you can re-scan it as delivered (with their signature of course) and it will be confirmed as delivered and DOES NOT fail. However you cannot do this with a tracked item which needs signed for. If you attempt to deliver a 'signature required' tracked item and theres no answer, scan it as not delivered and leave a card. If the customer catches up with you and you scan it as delivered (with signature) it will FAIL. You have to bring it back to the office, scan it as 'ready to collect' on the PDA.
PhilthyPhil also has a good point. I know some postmen/women who do scan all of their SD's as 'no answer' first thing in the morning so they can deliver them whenever they like (no breaking off a duty before 1pm). Special Deliveries never fail in this case, but it will only take one customer complaint to expose this 'laziness'.
-
GT85
- Posts: 365
- Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
- Gender: Male
- Location: ASDO
Re: Special Delivery help please
As above ^^^
I asked the same question a few months ago...http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... =1&t=61006
Despite several different opinions the consensus was that, The PDA records every scan of an item including time and location so as long as you scanned the item at the delivery point before 1 it will be recorded as an attempted delivery and not a failure.
I asked the same question a few months ago...http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... =1&t=61006
Despite several different opinions the consensus was that, The PDA records every scan of an item including time and location so as long as you scanned the item at the delivery point before 1 it will be recorded as an attempted delivery and not a failure.
We're all here because we're not all there
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Special Delivery help please
If you scan a special on your way as you say then nothing will happen until you get it signed and press done on the PDA anyway,so it won't log your position of where you were when you scanned it until you actually finish the process.paul1231 wrote:Ha no, I just leave it on the signature screen for when we get there but suppose its more about where you scan it in the end rather then at the start but im sure people have scanned an item and forgot to send till later on when you get it out for the next item and realise you haven't properly sent the last one?Bahia Feliz wrote:Do you scan it as undelivered though?paul1231 wrote: Quite often I scan the special in the van on my way to the first one as typically always seems to be on one of the later loops (my partner likes the order) so surely doesn't matter where its scanned?