With the current bunch on board I can't see our share prices improving much in the next few years.Companies seem to try everything imaginable to fix their workplaces, except the only thing that matters: Naming the right person manager.
Leaders go to seminars, hire consultants, and employ a long list of interventions -- competencies, 360s, and so forth. I don’t think any of them work. What’s worse, nobody really cares that they don’t work.
Most CEOs I know honestly don’t care about employees or take an interest in human resources. Sure, they know who their stars are -- but it ends there. Since the people in the corner offices don’t care, they never put much pressure on their HR departments to get their workplace cultures right, and this allows HR to implement all kinds of development and succession strategies that don’t work.
The results of this indifference and ineffectiveness have become significant. Gallup reported in two large-scale studies that only 30% of U.S. employees are engaged at work, and a staggeringly low 13% worldwide are engaged. Worse, over the past 12 years, these low numbers have barely budged, meaning that the vast majority of employees worldwide are failing to develop and contribute at work.
Why is that? Gallup estimates that managers account for 70% of variance in employee engagement scores across business units. When managers have real management talent, workgroups develop and win customers. When managers don’t have that talent, human development freezes and workgroups fail.
Now, here’s a truly frightening number Gallup has uncovered: Companies fail to choose the candidate with the right talent for the job 82% of the time. Those companies are wasting time and resources attempting to train bad managers to be who they're not. Nothing fixes the wrong pick.
There’s a reason for this -- authentic management talent is very rare. Gallup research shows that just one in 10 have the natural, God-given talent to manage. Those gifted people know how to motivate every individual on their team; boldly review performance; build relationships; overcome adversity; and make decisions based on productivity, not politics. A manager with no real talent for the job will deal with workplace problems through manipulation and unhelpful office politics, because they lack the inner personal courage required to manage teams effectively.
Gallup also found that another two in 10 people have some characteristics of basic managerial talent and can function at a high level if their company coaches and supports them.
The fact is, rare management talent exists in your company right now -- it’s hiding in plain sight. Companies that use predictive testing analytics to find that talent will have the biggest advantage in the global war for the best customers.
*****
Jim Clifton is Chairman and CEO of Gallup. He is author of The Coming Jobs War (Gallup Press, 2011).
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Nothing Fixes a Bad Manager
-
dogfood
- Posts: 388
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:16
Nothing Fixes a Bad Manager
I happened upon this interesting article from the CEO of Gallup
-
5plusbonusball
- Posts: 1136
- Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: up north of watford
Re: Nothing Fixes a Bad Manager
just read my signature - am i right?
Why are lino's paid full-time ??
-
Lazycarton
- Posts: 193
- Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:52
- Gender: Male
Re: Nothing Fixes a Bad Manager
I wonder what percentage of the public have a personality disorder as I doubt that this is ever considered when choosing staff. In addition I suspect that the BS factor really comes into play if 82% of those hired are wrong for the job. You may talk the talk, but can you walk the walk.....? Oh and yes, I probably do have a personality disorder

-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Nothing Fixes a Bad Manager
I've got a personality disorder caused by Royal Mail Management. Its called PTSD (Postie Tired of Stupid Decisions)
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Nothing Fixes a Bad Manager
not even the miracle working moya ?
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Nothing Fixes a Bad Manager
I have applied for the S.H.I.T. management programme (Special High-Intensity Training) recently.
All I got back was some C.R.A.P. in return (Covering Rounds of Absent Postmen)
In anticipation of my new role, the DOM did offer me some C.U.N.T. training though (Company Utilization of New Technology.)
All I got back was some C.R.A.P. in return (Covering Rounds of Absent Postmen)
In anticipation of my new role, the DOM did offer me some C.U.N.T. training though (Company Utilization of New Technology.)
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Nothing Fixes a Bad Manager
Interesting Article Dogfood. I don't think I have ever encountered such a consistently low standard of Management in any other job I've been in. I've met a few good Managers, and they've EARNED my respect...basically trying to juggle jelly in some difficult DOs.
However they have been far outweighed by the huge number of Dickheads who should never have been given the job in the first place. Perhaps we don't pay Managers enough?
Because if the reward was a lot greater then perhaps it would attract a higher standard of individual.
I also believe that the Bonus Culture of Management within RM does nothing to help. If a Manager IS doing a good job, making sure the USO is adhered to and Staff are paid the correct overtime etc....then he's shat on from above by his Manager, because he's going over budget. This encourages a culture of cutting corners, falsify reports, lying and misleading people. In a way a conscientious manager has a choice....... try and do his job correctly (and get constant hassle from above), .....start cutting corners and bullshitting (as it appears the majority do)or hand his notice in. 
Wouldn't it be nice to work in a Business where we were all working towards the same Objectives and actually helping each other....instead of this Divisive, Confrontational system we have, where it feels like the Management and the Workforce are always pulling in different directions?
However they have been far outweighed by the huge number of Dickheads who should never have been given the job in the first place. Perhaps we don't pay Managers enough?
Wouldn't it be nice to work in a Business where we were all working towards the same Objectives and actually helping each other....instead of this Divisive, Confrontational system we have, where it feels like the Management and the Workforce are always pulling in different directions?
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Pete22
- Posts: 127
- Joined: 02 Mar 2010, 16:53
- Gender: Male
- Location: Cook-coo land
Re: Nothing Fixes a Bad Manager
Spot on mateDorset Plodder wrote:Interesting Article Dogfood. I don't think I have ever encountered such a consistently low standard of Management in any other job I've been in. I've met a few good Managers, and they've EARNED my respect...basically trying to juggle jelly in some difficult DOs.
However they have been far outweighed by the huge number of Dickheads who should never have been given the job in the first place. Perhaps we don't pay Managers enough?Because if the reward was a lot greater then perhaps it would attract a higher standard of individual.
I also believe that the Bonus Culture of Management within RM does nothing to help. If a Manager IS doing a good job, making sure the USO is adhered to and Staff are paid the correct overtime etc....then he's shat on from above by his Manager, because he's going over budget. This encourages a culture of cutting corners, falsify reports, lying and misleading people. In a way a conscientious manager has a choice....... try and do his job correctly (and get constant hassle from above), .....start cutting corners and bullshitting (as it appears the majority do)or hand his notice in.
Wouldn't it be nice to work in a Business where we were all working towards the same Objectives and actually helping each other....instead of this Divisive, Confrontational system we have, where it feels like the Management and the Workforce are always pulling in different directions?
-
5plusbonusball
- Posts: 1136
- Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: up north of watford
Re: Nothing Fixes a Bad Manager
This bit - spot on mate - Moya please take note.Wouldn't it be nice to work in a Business where we were all working towards the same Objectives and actually helping each other....instead of this Divisive, Confrontational system we have, where it feels like the Management and the Workforce are always pulling in different directions?
Why are lino's paid full-time ??
-
dogfood
- Posts: 388
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:16
Re: Nothing Fixes a Bad Manager
Dorset Plodder wrote:Interesting Article Dogfood. I don't think I have ever encountered such a consistently low standard of Management in any other job I've been in. I've met a few good Managers, and they've EARNED my respect...basically trying to juggle jelly in some difficult DOs.
However they have been far outweighed by the huge number of Dickheads who should never have been given the job in the first place. Perhaps we don't pay Managers enough?Because if the reward was a lot greater then perhaps it would attract a higher standard of individual.
I also believe that the Bonus Culture of Management within RM does nothing to help. If a Manager IS doing a good job, making sure the USO is adhered to and Staff are paid the correct overtime etc....then he's shat on from above by his Manager, because he's going over budget. This encourages a culture of cutting corners, falsify reports, lying and misleading people. In a way a conscientious manager has a choice....... try and do his job correctly (and get constant hassle from above), .....start cutting corners and bullshitting (as it appears the majority do)or hand his notice in.
Wouldn't it be nice to work in a Business where we were all working towards the same Objectives and actually helping each other....instead of this Divisive, Confrontational system we have, where it feels like the Management and the Workforce are always pulling in different directions?
Spot on plodder, sadly.
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
-
FinishOnTime
- Posts: 153
- Joined: 25 Apr 2013, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Nothing Fixes a Bad Manager
Yeah, totally agree. The new agreement which clearly states that we are all now supposed to be "working together" is totally undermined by the sort of characters which Royal Mail both hire as managers and continue to employ as managers. Many in my experience have proved themselves wholly unsuitable to be either in charge of any group of employees or manage them effectively, at least without resorting to bullying and harassment. A chap who in my opinion would have made a good manager was told in no uncertain terms that he was " too nice" to be considered. That sort of attitude says far more than fine words and courses about co-operation and listening to each other.Dorset Plodder wrote:Interesting Article Dogfood. I don't think I have ever encountered such a consistently low standard of Management in any other job I've been in. I've met a few good Managers, and they've EARNED my respect...basically trying to juggle jelly in some difficult DOs.
However they have been far outweighed by the huge number of Dickheads who should never have been given the job in the first place. Perhaps we don't pay Managers enough?Because if the reward was a lot greater then perhaps it would attract a higher standard of individual.
I also believe that the Bonus Culture of Management within RM does nothing to help. If a Manager IS doing a good job, making sure the USO is adhered to and Staff are paid the correct overtime etc....then he's shat on from above by his Manager, because he's going over budget. This encourages a culture of cutting corners, falsify reports, lying and misleading people. In a way a conscientious manager has a choice....... try and do his job correctly (and get constant hassle from above), .....start cutting corners and bullshitting (as it appears the majority do)or hand his notice in.
Wouldn't it be nice to work in a Business where we were all working towards the same Objectives and actually helping each other....instead of this Divisive, Confrontational system we have, where it feels like the Management and the Workforce are always pulling in different directions?