ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Second job
-
RoyalSlave69
- Posts: 74
- Joined: 11 Feb 2013, 16:33
- Gender: Male
Second job
Hi
Because I only work part time at Royal Mail I am now looking for another job. One that I can do when I am not a Royal Mail.
Is this allowed? Do I have to discuss it with the manager first? Obviously it will be a job that does not interfere with my time at Royal Mail.
I only ask because I once remember the manager asking me if I had another job. Like it was important he knew.
Thanks.
Because I only work part time at Royal Mail I am now looking for another job. One that I can do when I am not a Royal Mail.
Is this allowed? Do I have to discuss it with the manager first? Obviously it will be a job that does not interfere with my time at Royal Mail.
I only ask because I once remember the manager asking me if I had another job. Like it was important he knew.
Thanks.
-
tommytucka
- Posts: 34
- Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Second job
You have to tell them if you drive at RM I think, and also if it's of a conflicting interest.
-
human1
- Posts: 223
- Joined: 04 Aug 2010, 19:31
- Gender: Male
Re: Second job
...... and "way forward" rules and conditions i-e max 60 hours ( I think ) plus so many hours between shifts ... and so on ....
-
RoyalSlave69
- Posts: 74
- Joined: 11 Feb 2013, 16:33
- Gender: Male
Re: Second job
I only work 3 days a week at RM. Just want to fill the other 2 days a week at another job. Ideally I would do more hours at Royal Mail........Oh well.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Second job
Has anybody looked at doing work with the local ParcelForce depot in the evenings? I understand they sort packages from about 4pm-8pm for distribution to the hub. The times would certaintly make it doable.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Second job
where is this advertised ?norm wrote:Has anybody looked at doing work with the local ParcelForce depot in the evenings? I understand they sort packages from about 4pm-8pm for distribution to the hub. The times would certaintly make it doable.
-
meercat
- Posts: 814
- Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
- Gender: Male
Re: Second job
They can't stop you doing whatever you want to out of work time. However you are expected to do occasional OT/flex so they would not like you to be unable to do OT (to finish your round on a busy day for example) because you have to rush off to another job after every shift. So if you get a job which means you can't EVER do OT for RM you may be in breach of contract. I say may it depends what you signed. That is their only concern - and you not working tired because your other job shift finished at 7am!RoyalSlave69 wrote:Hi
I only ask because I once remember the manager asking me if I had another job. Like it was important he knew.
Thanks.
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Second job
The reason that RM needs to be informed of other employment is mainly for driving duties under the driving time regulations and dependant if you are driving within European/Domestic Regulations and having the correct amount of breaks between driving and driving for another employer. There would also have to be no conflict of interest in your other employment.
-
maisymoo04
- Posts: 2226
- Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
- Gender: Male
- Location: You dont want to no
Re: Second job
Wouldn't say nothing who's added anyway good luck I work 39 hours a week and I have another job 
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
-
heapsy
- Posts: 2972
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 23:40
- Gender: Male
- Location: Drinking with Gangsters
Re: Second job
Got a bloke in our office drives on occasion for Rm doing parcels yet he works nights on the machines. Strictly illegal as you have to have 11 hours between shifts. They don't care.rehabron wrote:The reason that RM needs to be informed of other employment is mainly for driving duties under the driving time regulations and dependant if you are driving within European/Domestic Regulations and having the correct amount of breaks between driving and driving for another employer. There would also have to be no conflict of interest in your other employment.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Second job
Not advertised but it's same company, if you give them a call they might have temp work which might lead to something more.bringon4dayweeks wrote:where is this advertised ?norm wrote:Has anybody looked at doing work with the local ParcelForce depot in the evenings? I understand they sort packages from about 4pm-8pm for distribution to the hub. The times would certaintly make it doable.
-
royalmailslave
- Posts: 126
- Joined: 20 Sep 2010, 17:09
- Gender: Male
Re: Second job
Overtime is optional.....they cannot force you to do it,as long as you fulfil your contacted hours they'd have a hard time making you do moremeercat wrote:However you are expected to do occasional OT/flex sRoyalSlave69 wrote:Hi
I only ask because I once remember the manager asking me if I had another job. Like it was important he knew.
Thanks.
-
banddy
- Posts: 208
- Joined: 07 Mar 2010, 16:31
- Gender: Male
Re: Second job
heapsy wrote:Got a bloke in our office drives on occasion for Rm doing parcels yet he works nights on the machines. Strictly illegal as you have to have 11 hours between shifts. They don't care.rehabron wrote:The reason that RM needs to be informed of other employment is mainly for driving duties under the driving time regulations and dependant if you are driving within European/Domestic Regulations and having the correct amount of breaks between driving and driving for another employer. There would also have to be no conflict of interest in your other employment.
.......................................
You would have to be sure of the facts of this type of scenario
Check out the work time regs
(unless he is driving a lorry with a tachograph, but i very much doubt that, so he's maybe only breaking / bending the
Work time regs)?
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Re: Second job
You should be fine, assuming that you won't be working for a competitor.
I'm only contracted for 27.5 hours a week with RM, so I'm planning on still keeping myself on the books with a well known security firm, where I am employed as a zero hour contract event safety / security steward. I'll work at this job occasionally on a weekend off from Royal mail. Extra money always handy!
I'm only contracted for 27.5 hours a week with RM, so I'm planning on still keeping myself on the books with a well known security firm, where I am employed as a zero hour contract event safety / security steward. I'll work at this job occasionally on a weekend off from Royal mail. Extra money always handy!
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Second job
You are required to have an 11 hour break between driving and continuing to drive under European Driving Regulations but you can on 2 occasions you can have a 9 hour break but if this person is delivering parcels and working nights on the machines continuously then this person is breaking the law and if RM is turning a blind eye to this knowing full well that this is happening then they also is breaking the law.heapsy wrote:Got a bloke in our office drives on occasion for Rm doing parcels yet he works nights on the machines. Strictly illegal as you have to have 11 hours between shifts. They don't care.rehabron wrote:The reason that RM needs to be informed of other employment is mainly for driving duties under the driving time regulations and dependant if you are driving within European/Domestic Regulations and having the correct amount of breaks between driving and driving for another employer. There would also have to be no conflict of interest in your other employment.