I am working in Royal Mail now over one and half year. I want to know the rules over following aspects and then your advice over the issue am facing.
- What is the maximum walk time as per Union Agreement (or as per contract) with the Admin of RM a one person have to do.
- To drive a van (small RM van), one needs to take assessment, and what is maximum time limit to have it done.
- What is maximum load one must carry in the bag.
- What is break time for person who does shift for 5 hours?
- What of procedure of complaint on the ground of racist attitude.
- What is procedure, of allocation of extra duties if there are more than 3 people available.
Now, coming over to my issue:-
Since I started, I had worked under 2 managers, call them A and B. So it was under A, in normal summer time. He gave me shifts of 6 hours r so starting 0800... whenever, I enter in the office, he gives me few lapse/bundle of other duties to go and deliver, I kept busy on these lapses when other having break, and then I used to go for my own duty. If we finish earlier, he gives me more lapse (and nothing for my partner). I kept shifting on various duties, and he never bothered to get me assessed on van. Whereas other fellows who joined later than me were assessed and allocated various permanent duties. Whenever I complained of shifting of my duties, Manage A always said, you have so far not been assessed so you cant drive van and I have booked a test for you which never happened over a year and half. Many a time, it happened that, he asked me to a small bit from point D to F (just 40 min walk),, and when I went on ground, and found it is from point A to K (more than 2 hours walk). I did started showing him trays of bundle before leaving, and he just reacted ohh,, no way, but now do it,,. He then went off sick for a period of morethan 5 month.. I spoke to CWU rep, and he sorted with him and made sure I work only for 3 days rather leaving to manager making it 5 days a week. Then Manager B came up, he was very reasonable, and I never had a problem with him, he was very fair in distribution of duties and his conduct.
Now, Mannager A is back, and this is his 3rd week, I have now same problem. Just a day before, I started my duty at 0900 hours, to finish by 1400 hours. He changed it in morning, and gave me the toughest one (contains all flat, every one knows it).... I started my job right away, and left for delivering at 0915 hours, and almost running through the job, I finished it by 1335 hours, that was walk of 4 hours and 20 minute. When I returned there were two more guys were also there who has finished (their partner got dropped off to their places, never bother to come to office for sign off). Off course, I never had a break, but other all had 40 min break, and started almost 40 min later than me.
Then same Manager asked me, to go and give hand to other duty which were struggling. I pointed him toward other fellows, as well who finished with me, and said why not all go and help them. He said, that is his prerogative. I told him, I have to finish by 1400 hrs, and no over time. Infront of him, I told other guy (who was strugglging) to give me lapse of 20 min,, with the name of the area (as I knew the whole duty). he hurridly gave me two bundles. Manager dropped me at starting point, and told me, when you finish, walk up to office (10 minute walk or more). When I started, and at the end, I realised I was given 20 more min more work in other bundle as well. I tried to phone the office/manager and as usual, they never bothered to pick it up. So I finished the lapse and when I reached back it was already 1440 hrs, I worked 40 min extra.... and to whom iwas to help, they went in time.... rather every one went in time..except me... It happned with me many a time.. it was just one incident I narrated.
I feel, that he is just giving me extra stuff, because of my origin which is not UK. Other guys are from this place and they reply him in same tone, so he just keep pressurising me.
I launched official complaint to Manager A, involving CWU rep.
I want to know, if now he tries to victimise me, then what all options are available to me.
thanks a lot
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Guidance - Rules on Walk time, Break and Extra work
-
xalugg
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 01 Dec 2013, 00:31
- Gender: Male
-
Royal Mail London
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 03 Apr 2014, 19:28
- Gender: Male
Re: Guidance - Rules on Walk time, Break and Extra work
Remember that you never have to go over your time if you don't want to people in my office cut off on there walks all the time and people say no to go back out to do it . Don't listen to the managers there not always right next time they ask you to do over time just say no