ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

So how many times did your PDA crash today ?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

So how many times did your PDA crash today ?

Post by krussel »

When are we going to get a more reliable pda ? Mine crashed 5 times yesterday whilst on delivery. This was despite using the key lock. It had a system update on weds which put it out of action for the first half of my delivery. Yesterday it kept going "blue light" when you tried to scan resulting in a re boot. Its so bloody annoying when your standing on a doorstep with a customer waiting for their parcel.

We need a much simpler smaller device with a mono lcd screen and better software, pref not windows based. I get really fed up carrying the useless failing brick around for 4.5 hrs when Hermes use something as small, modern and light as a smart phone.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Nigel1505
Posts: 409
Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 08:24
Gender: Male

Re: So how many times did your PDA crash today ?

Post by Nigel1505 »

Couldn't agree more.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: So how many times did your PDA crash today ?

Post by arnold cheshire »

make sure you reboot it everyday at the end of the shift
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: So how many times did your PDA crash today ?

Post by krussel »

bringon4dayweeks wrote:make sure you reboot it everyday at the end of the shift
Ok I may try that. :thumbup

I log off and hand it in. I get it back in the morning log in and sometimes it just black screens and you have to remove the battery. :thumbdown

I do get the occasional day where it does not crash but very few and far between. :sad:
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: So how many times did your PDA crash today ?

Post by arnold cheshire »

krussel wrote:
bringon4dayweeks wrote:make sure you reboot it everyday at the end of the shift
Ok I may try that. :thumbup

I log off and hand it in. I get it back in the morning log in and sometimes it just black screens and you have to remove the battery. :thumbdown

I do get the occasional day where it does not crash but very few and far between. :sad:
i find it helps when you are driving back log out then hold in the on button for 10 to 15 seconds it will switch off and reboot
rjack
Posts: 98
Joined: 26 Nov 2010, 09:42
Gender: Male
Location: wales

Re: So how many times did your PDA crash today ?

Post by rjack »

take the battery off and use the pen to push in the reset button this should help.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: So how many times did your PDA crash today ?

Post by krussel »

rjack wrote:take the battery off and use the pen to push in the reset button this should help.
Thanks I will give it a go at the end of shift tom. :wink:
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
monkeymutha
Posts: 317
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:00
Gender: Female
Location: At the bottom of the bottomless pit

Re: So how many times did your PDA crash today ?

Post by monkeymutha »

My scanner doesn't scan, have to enter manually, boss accuses me of being 'slow'.
postypie
Posts: 435
Joined: 18 Mar 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Re: So how many times did your PDA crash today ?

Post by postypie »

The PDA I use was made in 2007....is heavy....awkward ....and when they crash(which is most days and obviously in front of customers who have to wait until I reboot the thing)...hugely embarrassing....and where are we supposed to carry them?
Bag....more weight!
Pockets?..Nah...just drop out!
Holster?(Where do I get one from)?
Necklace?lol
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: So how many times did your PDA crash today ?

Post by arnold cheshire »

monkeymutha wrote:My scanner doesn't scan, have to enter manually, boss accuses me of being 'slow'.
definetley worth a try of re booting i would use the pen to reset behind the battery
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: So how many times did your PDA crash today ?

Post by dvbuk55 »

I definitely wouldn't advise using the reset button behind the battery unless all recorded items have been downloaded.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: So how many times did your PDA crash today ?

Post by arnold cheshire »

dvbuk55 wrote:I definitely wouldn't advise using the reset button behind the battery unless all recorded items have been downloaded.
i do it all the time infact sometimes its the only way to send the unsent messages they wont go anywhere
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: So how many times did your PDA crash today ?

Post by DirtyHarry »

If the crap these idiots give me fails, I go back to using good old fashioned pen and paper.
If they want me to use their rubbish, I will, but only once it's workable.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: So how many times did your PDA crash today ?

Post by dvbuk55 »

bringon4dayweeks wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:I definitely wouldn't advise using the reset button behind the battery unless all recorded items have been downloaded.
i do it all the time infact sometimes its the only way to send the unsent messages they wont go anywhere
No it isn't the only way, in fact an OPG shouldn't press the reset button at all, it should be handed in to the locker and the afternoon locker staff should clear down the unsent items. It's not quick but the process doesn't involve a reset. No one in the delivery office should press the reset button without ringing the IT department, they do of course but NEVER when unsent items are on the machine.

TBH the machines have really had their day like the RMGTT guns they're no longer really fit for purpose.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Re: So how many times did your PDA crash today ?

Post by Jpro747 »

Mine wouldn't connect to the network so had to Ad-hoc all my boxes, then you spend the rest of the day wondering if you remembered to scan them :arrrghhh