ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Repercussions due to being off sick.....

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
smartecosse
Posts: 131
Joined: 29 Jan 2019, 18:01
Gender: Male

Repercussions due to being off sick.....

Post by smartecosse »

I've been off work for about 6 weeks.....current fit note expires in a couple more weeks....likely that I will be signed off for a further four weeks at that point.

Have had the weekly phone calls from the manager asking how I am and when I can return to work each week.

However....today's one has rather worried me as the end of the conversation on his side was he doesn't know where to go from here and would need to make some phone calls / take advice.

I've never been signed off before for anything other than a minor injury which was short term but I was under the impression that if you were signed off with a valid fit note for one month / whatever months then that was that and you were protected from any repercussions when you returned to work other than being given whatever stage warning was due.

Is this the case? I'm slightly worried by both what he said and his tone.

I'm awaiting a call back from the rep tomorrow who I will discuss it with but wondered if anyone on here knew what happens in this situation?

Am I okay as long as I have the proper fit notes going forward or is there going to be a problem?

Thanks
picture123
Posts: 121
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 20:42
Gender: Male

Re: Repercussions due to being off sick.....

Post by picture123 »

I suppose it depends on the likelihood of you returning to work and full duties. The business may consider whether I'll health retirement is more appropriate if they don't see you returning
smartecosse
Posts: 131
Joined: 29 Jan 2019, 18:01
Gender: Male

Re: Repercussions due to being off sick.....

Post by smartecosse »

Will be returning to work and it will be full duties.....just not at this precise moment in time.
burton76
Posts: 44
Joined: 08 Nov 2017, 14:31
Gender: Female

Re: Repercussions due to being off sick.....

Post by burton76 »

There are many steps before IHR!

Offers to help and support. Reasonable adjustments. Occ Health reports to see what they can do to accommodate.

The fit note is king. Keep everything. Copy stuff you give them. Make notes of phone conversations - who said what, in what tone.

The tone used will have been deliberate to worry you. I've heard it said they try to threaten people back to work. you have a right to be ill.

Stand up for yourself.
Murdoch
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 572
Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
Gender: Male

Re: Repercussions due to being off sick.....

Post by Murdoch »

For the most part, Doms are irrelevant.

There's a clear attendance agreement in place. If you're signed off ill, you're signed off ill.

The only "power" the DOM has, is to issue a stage during any future attendance review.

I would image him saying "I'll need to make some phone calls, and take advice" is in reality an admission that there's sweet f**k all he can do about you being off for a prolonged period.

You're allowed to be ill, don't let these clowns make you feel bad about it.